Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pros/Cons to using Steam instead of the client itself?

AFluffySpaceShark

Tennogen mainly and maybe a bit better optimized on steam but I played this game long ago on the client for long time so you don't lose really. Tennogen items are nice but the price tag alienate buyers and only few peoples using it really. Another con on steam is you can make connections with other players and can chat there while you are playing.

You can only access Tennogen through using Steam, which is a bit foul.

The Steam version has slightly worsened performance (noticeable if you're running on an i5 or i3 CPU, have a slow HDD, or have a slow internet connection), somewhat increases your ping (not a big deal on a PVE game), and crashes more often (about 3-5 per day for me are caused by Steam spiking the CPU in the background). Overall, better to not use it unless you're a paying player who wants Tennogen.

19 minutes ago, Dawson1917 said:

The Steam version has slightly worsened performance (noticeable if you're running on an i5 or i3 CPU, have a slow HDD, or have a slow internet connection), somewhat increases your ping (not a big deal on a PVE game), and crashes more often (about 3-5 per day for me are caused by Steam spiking the CPU in the background). Overall, better to not use it unless you're a paying player who wants Tennogen.

Well, if I buy Tennogen on Steam, can I use it if I am not using Steam?

This. And only this.

40 minutes ago, CrudShuzKong said:

Steam has Tennogen and thats it.

I see no other reason to use steam version.

30 minutes ago, Seraphim_Okashira said:

with the steam option, you also have the benefit of using your steam wallet instead of paying directly via card or whatever. which also means you can make use of steam gift card in warframe ^^

How much % now Valve gets from each transaction? 

EDIT:

1 minute ago, AFluffySpaceShark said:

Yes.

Edited by peger

21 minutes ago, Dawson1917 said:

Okay if your game is crashing 3-5 times per day then something is wrong that goes deeper than just Steam. I mean I run my game through Steam and I experience a crash once or twice a month. No game should ever crash several times per day.

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

Okay if your game is crashing 3-5 times per day then something is wrong that goes deeper than just Steam. I mean I run my game through Steam and I experience a crash once or twice a month. No game should ever crash several times per day.

It's most certainly Steam. I have an i5-7500, and Steam's constant activity (despite me not using it in any way shape or form while playing) breaks the CPU and makes the game more susceptible to crashes, especially from Steam's frequent spikes.

6 minutes ago, AFluffySpaceShark said:

I think you aren't able to see it at all, but I might be wrong and it's just not being able to buy them unless you're using Steam.

6 minutes ago, AFluffySpaceShark said:

Okay, what about controllers? Specifically Xbox One wirelessly, I was able to use my PS4 controller through bluetooth with Steam, but its not working without it. On Win8 and can't use 10 if that makes a difference.

Microsoft has always disregarded controllers, and no version of Windows has native support. I use a program called DS4Windows (works on anything above Win7) which lets me easily plug-and-play with my controller. Steam's is pretty buggy from my experience and adds an even worse performance hit. Also, DS4 letting you change your controller's light bar colour to hot pink > everything else in the world.

Edit: the program supports both cable and bluetooth play, and idk what program to use for Xbone controller since I don't use one

Edited by Dawson1917

Just now, Dawson1917 said:

Microsoft has always disregarded controllers, and no version of Windows has native support. I use a program called DS4Windows (works on anything above Win7) which lets me easily plug-and-play with my controller. Steam's is pretty buggy from my experience and adds an even worse performance hit. Also, DS4 letting you change your controller's light bar colour to hot pink > everything else in the world.

Okay, I think I've used a previous version of that before, does it allow me to use bluetooth? Cause I really do not want to use a USB cable. And I would rather use my PS4 controller anyway.

7 hours ago, AFluffySpaceShark said:

Okay, what about controllers? Specifically Xbox One wirelessly, I was able to use my PS4 controller through bluetooth with Steam, but its not working without it. On Win8 and can't use 10 if that makes a difference.

Windows 8 and 10 both natively support the Xbox One controller wired and wirelessly.  Only Windows 10 natively supports the Xbox One elite controllers

7 hours ago, Dawson1917 said:

Microsoft has always disregarded controllers, and no version of Windows has native support. 

Actually this is not quite true.  All of the Xbox brand controllers work on Windows.  Windows 7 had native support for the Xbox 360 controller built it.  

I have noticed within the last year or so that Steam started making my Elite controller behave weirdly while playing Warframe.  Switched to Stand-alone client and issue was resolved.  I never could get it to work correctly with Steam client again without losing a feature of the controller in Warframe.