The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Since fishing and mining is going to stay....

Fallen_Echo

How about expanding it a bit?

Fishing:

Add in fishing rods and high tech fishing equipments, we are not cavemen dont tell me the corpus hasnt yet made fish radars or kinetic nets. Seeing how important is fish oil for skywing one would think they see the profit in it.

Add competitions and mini events exclusively held on Cetus. Everybody gets the same equipment and whoever caughts the biggest and rarest fish wins some fashionframe reward along with some creds and such.

Mix in some alternative rare rewards into the fishing game, rare mods, lost bodyparts, fashion items, etc... anything to make a fishing tour an interesting part of the game.

Add in a new mission:

Lakeside extraction, players can call down their very own extractors into ponds, lakes, rivers or the ocean to extract large quantities of random fish parts. Approx 30% better fish spawn rates but the parts you get are random and tend to go for the common rewards. While doing this mission you are assaulted by several grineer platoons while in nightfall you are assaulted by sentient remmants (ghostly images of grineer shooting vommalyst projectiles).

Mining:

Add in slate mining what lets people mine gem and ore slates to decorate their ships floor with it.

Add in fine jewelry making. From every ore and gem you could make various jewels to wear for your operator or your frame. This could be a levelable experience based system what makes you make jewelry from primitive to prime. Example:

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=115549631cache_892514861.JPG?t=1474404113

Create competitions, the days best miner get +10% of whatever items he dug up. Create a list of other fashion items, mods and such what can be directly exchanged for ores at the relays so players have the incetive to reach the end of the starchart to get something fancy.

Create a new mission:

Vein exhaustion: Players can call down orbital extractors from corpus agents to mine up various items. The objective is to defend the giant extractor while it generates materials. The extractor is active for 24 hours and avaible for anybody who enters Cetus to mine. While enemies come to it with timed waves to destroy it. The extractor is community fuelled and rewards everybody who defends it during a wave.

Imagine something like the thumpers from firefall but bigger:

maxresdefault.jpg

14 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Add in fishing rods and high tech fishing equipments, we are not cavemen dont tell me the corpus hasnt yet made fish radars or kinetic nets. Seeing how important is fish oil for skywing one would think they see the profit in it.

Part of what i like about the current system is the spears are native to the culture on the planet. it is that lack of technology - the struggling group of reclaimers trying to carve out their existence and using whatever means necessary is compelling from a world building and flavor perspective. It also adds to the reputation system - they trust us so, they share their secrets and teach us their ways.

I agree that the Corpus would probably have some kind of high-tech net or capture device and, if they do, we should see those on Venus, not on Earth.  Perhaps some kind of reconditioned device from battle that is now used to fish, farm, or mine (how cool would it be to fish with a modified nullifier's drone)

I like the ideas of contests/events focused on the gathering aspects.  those are generally fun ways to encourage resource gathering and serve as a good way to introduce those systems to the player.

If you are complaining that we have to use fishing spears to fish you didn't get the point of it at all.

Or you really want to get on a futuristic boat with fishing radars and a drag net and get 1000s of murkays in a second? That is just too lame.

Fishing spots are limited and small, throwing spears and specific baits is the little challenge that makes it relaxing.

Honestly I kinda like the spear fishing, sure its annoying as hell when on the odd occasion the spear seems to phase through a rare fish, but it can be quite a relaxing thing to do.

(If only Lotus would shut up about all those random missions every 2 minutes).

As for mining, I dont know, the thumper inspired system you suggested reminds me alot of how the old dark sector conflicts ended up dissolving into a click war as to who gets to deploy theirs first.

2 hours ago, Nitro747 said:

If you are complaining that we have to use fishing spears to fish you didn't get the point of it at all.

Or you really want to get on a futuristic boat with fishing radars and a drag net and get 1000s of murkays in a second? That is just too lame.

Fishing spots are limited and small, throwing spears and specific baits is the little challenge that makes it relaxing.

Actually no, i want to see my operator sit back and relax near a river holding an old fishing rod trying to get some eels.

I also wouldnt mind small tribal boats to try to get some fish with nets and such.

Why does everyone focus so much on fishing?  It is easy to get what you need fishing, Go to the right body of water at the correct time period and for the higher level stuff throw out the correct bait.  If you have trouble seeing the fish throw out a dye.  You get what your after easy.

Mining on the other hand is a pain in the butt because you are having to search all over for the tiny nodes and then roll on the ore or gem loot tables every time.  This is what needs auto harvesting options.  Let us build extractors that boost the drop rate of a material we specify.  Or at the very least make certain areas of the map rich in specific resources such as Pyrolic from the area with fire vents.

19 minutes ago, Ohforf3 said:

Why does everyone focus so much on fishing?  It is easy to get what you need fishing, Go to the right body of water at the correct time period and for the higher level stuff throw out the correct bait.  If you have trouble seeing the fish throw out a dye.  You get what your after easy.

Mining on the other hand is a pain in the butt because you are having to search all over for the tiny nodes and then roll on the ore or gem loot tables every time.  This is what needs auto harvesting options.  Let us build extractors that boost the drop rate of a material we specify.  Or at the very least make certain areas of the map rich in specific resources such as Pyrolic from the area with fire vents.

It's true. You can fish all day in the same spot without moving. You limit the types of fish you can catch, sure, but you can at least farm a specific spot for fish without having to leave and come back. With mining you have to parkour to all the spots for mining, leave, come back, rinse repeat. And you seemingly can't just go to a specific spot for a type of ore. It seems to be random what you get