Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Better Sniper Scopes

DiabolusUrsus

Personally, I rather enjoy the visual design of most sniper scopes and I won't deny that they provide very useful buffs. At the same time, I find myself reluctant to use snipers outside of niche circumstances simply because:

1. The scopes are too visually constricting,
  2. The buffs are too superfluous to be worth the convenience trade-off,
  3. The scopes also interfere with basic mobility because they activate during aim-glide.

To fix these problems, I propose a more detailed control scheme for sniper scopes:

• Pressing RMB uses normal aim-down-sights (with no scope).
  • Pressing Alternate Fire while holding RMB cycles through zoom levels.
  • Pressing Alternate Fire without holding RMB instantly toggles on the scope at the most recently-used zoom level.
    • Additional presses cycle zoom normally; RMB closes the scope.

This allows players to use snipers more effectively at all ranges, forgoing the scope buffs when they aren't needed without limiting their ability to use the scope. This also makes snipers less annoying to aim-glide with.

Does anyone have any additional thoughts or refinements to this control scheme?

Edited by DiabolusUrsus
Mouse-button Derp

1 hour ago, DarcnyssWolfe said:

RMB*?

HAH. Yes. Revising; thanks for the catch.

1 hour ago, Pent_ said:

I've been suggesting this for YEARS. +1

Hopefully they find the time to work this into all the QoL improvements they've been churning out recently. :)

Edited by DiabolusUrsus

51 minutes ago, DystopianEra said:

As long as they wont make it taking more time to swap to a scope and wont touch the scope buffs, im fine with it; i dont see why they shouldnt streamline then and make it all flowing way smoother.

This would be the reason I kept a hot-swap binding in there with alt-fire, for sure. Also the buffs are fine; I don't see any reason to change them. They're just totally unnecessary for many enemies, so I'd prefer to ADS rather than scope-in.

Would be nice if they just let you use color pallets to customize scopes. The problem is that too many of them use colorations that the human eye doesn't find useful. White is a TERRIBLE color to use for a scope reticle. You're effectively colorblind to it. Green or Red or even Orange or Yellow or Blue are signficantly better. Just let people apply a color pallet to their scope and it will fix a lot of the problem.

Honestly i just wish they'd sell "Scopes" as a cosmetic option that you can apply to weapons if you so desire... Being able to "ADS" would make ranged engagements feel a heck of a lot more comfortable for me... The third person aiming just feels clunky to me. Not just in this game, more in games in general, third person is good for melee and for sneaking, but not so much for aiming.

Edited by (PS4)Echo_X

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Echo_X said:

Would be nice if they just let you use color pallets to customize scopes. The problem is that too many of them use colorations that the human eye doesn't find useful. White is a TERRIBLE color to use for a scope reticle. You're effectively colorblind to it. Green or Red or even Orange or Yellow or Blue are signficantly better. Just let people apply a color pallet to their scope and it will fix a lot of the problem.

I'd expand this part to the entire HUD; I'd love to recolor the default crosshair too. That said, I haven't really had any problems with scope visibility.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Echo_X said:

Honestly i just wish they'd sell "Scopes" as a cosmetic option that you can apply to weapons if you so desire... Being able to "ADS" would make ranged engagements feel a heck of a lot more comfortable for me... The third person aiming just feels clunky to me. Not just in this game, more in games in general, third person is good for melee and for sneaking, but not so much for aiming.

This would be nice.

Although I hope you understand that by ADS I mean the normal zoomed 3rd person view, NOT something like ironsights.

I do understand that by ads you mean the normal over the shoulder zoom. It hadn't occurred to me but they may have color blind options I can try to see if that helps. I appreciate that they now use a colored "charging" and "reloading" ring as well. Just the accepted best colors for an optic are red for low light and green for high light environments, with the rubico, I lose track of the little white dot we use for aiming every single time... I'm to the point of using a "Stick on" crosshair decal... Some gaming montiors have a built in "Red dot"... But I'm putting off buying a new monitor till i can get a decent 4k with hdr that's not either too big or rediculously expensive...

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Echo_X said:

I do understand that by ads you mean the normal over the shoulder zoom. It hadn't occurred to me but they may have color blind options I can try to see if that helps. I appreciate that they now use a colored "charging" and "reloading" ring as well. Just the accepted best colors for an optic are red for low light and green for high light environments, with the rubico, I lose track of the little white dot we use for aiming every single time... I'm to the point of using a "Stick on" crosshair decal... Some gaming montiors have a built in "Red dot"... But I'm putting off buying a new monitor till i can get a decent 4k with hdr that's not either too big or rediculously expensive...

Gotcha, just wanted to ensure we were on the same page.

The only pitfall I can see with the red/green optimization is... lighting conditions can change pretty drastically mid-mission, and it would be a royal pain in the arse to remember switching it when changing locales.

Here's hoping you find something that works better for you soon; stick-on decal is just no way to live.

I'm honestly fine with the zoom mechanic. The issue to me is the requirement to be zoomed to do more damage, which is utterly silly with the way most of the maps in this game are. Snipers are penalized too heavily when not zoomed in and the level design doesn't support using them in that way. I haven't had issue with the reticle coloring, but if it's a problem for those with color perception difficulties then it should be changed.

1 hour ago, True_Naeblis said:

I'm honestly fine with the zoom mechanic. The issue to me is the requirement to be zoomed to do more damage

But the damage is completely unnecessary in most situations. Snipers easily OHKO most enemies, even without headshots.

It really only matters when cheesing high-health bosses like Teralyst & co., or for crit-chance buffs.

When it comes to crit-chance the zoom actually makes sense given it is supposed to simulate especially devastating attacks, which would be more consistent with better aim.

which is utterly silly with the way most of the maps in this game are.

Agreed.

Snipers are penalized too heavily when not zoomed in and the level design doesn't support using them in that way.

I honestly think the penalty is that they are FORCED to zoom. Players should have the option of forgoing the unnecessary buffs for increased ease of use via ADS.

Ihaven't had issue with the reticle coloring, but if it's a problem for those with color perception difficulties then it should be changed.

+1.