The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

High physical memory use. Prominent in POE.

mmarsmarkovv

Specs: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz. Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB. 8GB RAM. Running Windows 7 64-bit with the latest GPU drivers.

Resource Monitor reports 2.5–3GB committed physical memory in regular star chart missions. This number goes up to 4.5–5GB in the Plains of Eidolon. However, the in-game RAM meter reads about 1–1.5GB at all times, as does the total reported by RAMMap.

I experience significant load times at the POE gates, as well as occasional hangups, but no major lag.

This has been going on for quite some time now, and started after the launch of POE.

I have a EE.log saved from a game session where I launch the game, enter Cetus, then enter the Plains during nighttime, perform a Teralyst capture, and then extract, perform some minor tasks on the orbiter, and quit the game. At the beginning of this session, Resource Monitor reported 2GB committed physical memory. Right before leaving the Plains, this number was around 5GB. Should I submit this log via support ticket?

So far, I've tried fiddling with DirectX settings, multi-threaded rendering, uninstalled Geforce Experience, disabled PhysX, adjusted other graphical settings. None of these changes resulted in a change of physical memory consumption.

Has anyone else been observing similar trends? Are there any fixes that helped you? Could this be a memory leak? Or is this entirely normal?

Edited by RowlandFK
Typo correction.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the same issue ever since launch of POE.
My hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz, Nvidia GTX 660 2Gb, 6GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit, latest drivers.

Game becomes pretty much unplayable if i enter planes more than once in a single session - no more ram to eat, a lot of swap file action, lots of freezes. Fiddling with drivers, game settings, DX settings and such didn't help. Only a minor improvement if i set textures to low, the problem still persists just stuttering is slightly delayed.

This is obviously not normal as my friends being in the same POE instance don't have the same issue, their RAM usage doesn't go above 3GB at any point.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:16 PM, RowlandFK said:

I have a EE.log saved from a game session where I launch the game, enter Cetus, then enter the Plains during nighttime, perform a Teralyst capture, and then extract, perform some minor tasks on the orbiter, and quit the game. At the beginning of this session, Resource Monitor reported 2GB committed physical memory. Right before leaving the Plains, this number was around 5GB. Should I submit this log via support ticket?

Can you please try verifying your download cache via. the Warframe launcher tool? We've seen some logs related to this issue that have been reporting missing files in the cache, so we believe simply verifying could solve some of those cases. If that does not help, then absolutely send us a copy of your EE.log. Thanks!

1 hour ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Can you please try verifying your download cache via. the Warframe launcher tool? We've seen some logs related to this issue that have been reporting missing files in the cache, so we believe simply verifying could solve some of those cases. If that does not help, then absolutely send us a copy of your EE.log. Thanks!

I did a complete reinstall of the game (that included manually removing %LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe folder), that did nothing in my case. Then i sent the EE.log via ticket, did the suggested verification and optimization of the cache, which also did nothing...

On 3/18/2018 at 1:16 AM, RowlandFK said:

Has anyone else been observing similar trends? Are there any fixes that helped you? Could this be a memory leak? Or is this entirely normal?

...What actually helped was disabling 64-bit mode. 32-bit client never went above 2,5GB RAM usage according to Resource Monitor.

10 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Can you please try verifying your download cache via. the Warframe launcher tool?

Since a few updates ago, ram has been retained upon returning to orbiter from missions, it will only lowered when I enter and exit arsenal.

Also with the plague star event live now, my game will crash whenever I return from PoE to my orbiter. Not to mention that I totally cannot do tridolon hunt in full squad now as the spike in ram usage will crash my game many times, exceeding 1,250MB each time, because of plague star. When there is no plague star, most of the time it will sit around 1,200MB+ and confirm will crash my game once in full squad tridolon hunt.

WinXP, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX550Ti

Thanks to the dramatically reduced ram throughout the whole game during the harrow crisis, everywhere in starchart plays well now. Problem lies only in PoE, perhaps it should receive the " dramatically reduced ram" treatment.

One of my PCs that I play on only has 4 gigs of RAM (it's my laptop). It can play regular starchart just fine, however when I enter the plains RAM useage spikes up and continues rising as I travel throuhg it. If I travel around it very quickly reaches over 4 gigs of usage and crashes with "out of memory" error, while the in-game RAM counter remains at 1.2 gigs.

Basically it's the same issue the OP has though the consequences are more severe due to hardware limitations.

The issue here is either a memory leak or an inefficient memory use that does not unload unused memory to make space for new one.

This was not the case during the previous Plague Star which I could complete normally on my laptop and RAM usage never exceeded 3.5 gigs on same settings.

On that note lowering the settings even to the minimum does not help - while initial RAM usage is lower, it quickly raises up to about the same level and crashes giving ~2-3 extra minutes before the crash.

Edited by CorvusTheHeretic