Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank Tests

(PSN)hiltaldo

I’m new to Warframe. I like the game. I love the developers talking to players and listening but the Mastery Rank Test system is awful.

its jarring to the rest of the game. The game always really creative ways of solving problems. The Mastery Rank tests do not. I’m stuck on MR11 and I just thought “sod it”. Put the pad down and turned off the game. Surely in a global market where triple A games are getting much more scrutiny something that is so out of place in the game needs to go.

As I said I’m new. I’ve recently got my daughter to play. She’s already against the MR tests and looking st the forums this isn’t new either. It dates back to 2013 in some cases! You’ve just celebrated 5 years. I want to be around for it but I won’t be if MR tests stop me playing. I’m already not playing. 

The devs read forums I’m told. Let’s have the discussion. Let’s make it a game that welcomes players not barriers them. 

I truely hope the devs read this. I hope someone cares. I hope someone wants me to stay.

Andy

I'll re-do the MR11 test and come back in a little. As i've never seen an hard test in 5 years. maybe something changed :D

Edit:
Did it just now, saw no problem. Use an hitscan weapon (i used the tiberon and oberon cuz i was exping) and bulletjump around. 

Back in the days we had no bulletjump and limited run speed.

See no other problem but skills here, do the practice a couple of time and you will probably have no problems.

Bye

Edit 2: 

Looks like warframe powers can be used, so you can be extra-cheesy and use zephyr or Valkyr , and a blind-user-friendly weapon like ignis, sonicor , and other things that hit in a laughable huge radius for no reason to be sure to hit the red targets. But that will make you ... not so respectable player. but hey, no-one will know, right?

Edited by Kyryo

Well, these tests are there to... test you.

If you can't beat them, then you just need to get better at the game to pass these tests (or just find a way to cheese them).

So far, most, if not all, threads I've seen about people complaining about the MR tests are made because said people failed/were stuck at one test. Like this one.

Also, you can practice the test somewhere in the Relays before attempting the actual test.

Edited by Guest

But it shouldn’t be this way. I shouldn’t have to cheese a level or “git gud”. I have a different play style to the run around like a nutter jump shoot agenda. The game allows this. The MR tests do not. I’ve NEVER had a game play session where the floor disappeared (MR10), I could only stealth kill with a melee weapon (MR9). Have to kill and jump through a maze in less than 15 seconds (MR11). 

Ive used the practice facilities, I shouldn’t have to. Because the test should be game related. If at all. 

5 minutes ago, (PS4)hiltaldo said:

But it shouldn’t be this way. I shouldn’t have to cheese a level or “git gud”. I have a different play style to the run around like a nutter jump shoot agenda. The game allows this. The MR tests do not. I’ve NEVER had a game play session where the floor disappeared (MR10), I could only stealth kill with a melee weapon (MR9). Have to kill and jump through a maze in less than 15 seconds (MR11). 

Ive used the practice facilities, I shouldn’t have to. Because the test should be game related. If at all. 

I've gotten stuck on several tests along the way, so I understand the frustration.  But I'm actually with some of these other guys - it's a test.  It's not supposed to be easy, and I'm not even sure it's supposed to be representative of actual game play.  It's about skill and adaptation.  My husband also plays - he never practices and passes the test on his first try every time.  I have to practice several times before I can barely pass it.  It's different for everyone, but it's a grind.  I think there's a lot of validity in you needing to get good...you have to get better at the challenges the game presents to move forward.  That's how games work. 

The Warframe Wiki is a very helpful source for a lot of useful info to help with these.

Here's the video the Wiki linked to guide you through MR11 test.

As @Kyryo mentioned, we didn't have advanced acrobatics back in the day, so a lot of the "tests" today are mind-numbingly easy purely due to the added mobility. Really, most tests can easily be "cheesed" with the right loadout. Normally I would say I'd prefer to play my own way but in this game these tests are designed to test a particular skill along with proving diversity in combat styles and Warframes since you're supposed to be proficient with everything this game has to offer. Not just the one loadout you like.

Edited by (PS4)Riko_113

18 minutes ago, (PS4)hiltaldo said:

No, you did not understand lore at all.

Test are for the tennos (the operators) to regain memory, the tests we do are the tests they did to exercise their ability to evercome the enemy in every possible scenario.

If you do not like it, you can simply ignore the master, do it anyway or leave.

there are a lot of things in life that we do even if we do not want to.... 

i do not see the problem honestly, sorry. 

The tests ... well ... test ... your ability to handle the games mechanics. Stealth kills award a greatly increased affinity, doing such as a non-stealth Warframe is a task itself but not impossible as the point is not to kill the enemy but to remain undetected. Mobility is a major mechanic in the game, same goes for accuracy (have you ever made a head shot?) so moving over and through obstacles while shooting targets is what you've been doing this entire time. Dodging lasers, defending cryo-pods, eliminating enemies, racing to the end before the timer runs out, and tying some of these together to make it a true "test".

MR9 i did with a Glaive, MR10 is just too easy to speak of, and MR11 gives you all the time you need. Adapt.

So in short your saying since you play "against" the games mechanics you're mad. I shouldn't have to play as they want me to and you're right. The game itself offers so many different play-styles, but the fundamentals will never change. You run, you jump, you shoot. 

Edited by Errodin

19 minutes ago, (PS4)hiltaldo said:

You ever do a capture mission where the target is a slippery turd that keeps getting away before you can get the kill shot on him? MR11 test is kind of like that. So it does have some in-game relationship. I'm sure there are other ways it could be game related...that test is a complete PITA but it is do-able without cheesing it.

I did mine with a Nyx frame without using any special powers or anything just running and gunning, but part of the MR tests is finding out what frames work best for that particular skill that isn't necessarily straight cheesing it it is using different frames for different situations.

I can understand the lore bit. That does make sense.

comments like “all tasks are easy” are disingenuous. I coach football (soccer) to a high level. Some people can play to high level, some can’t. But the game itself isn’t restrictive. nor am I, or any player, tested in a false way, for any test to be of lLEARNING it has to be realistic. It just appears it’s always been this way so let’s keep it. 

I’ve not played for a rew days now. No incentive to do something I know will frustrate me and spoil my limited free time which is a shame as there was some potential. Games that lose players don’t make money. 

On 27/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, (XB1)ShhhImaGirl said:

I have a different play style to the run around like a nutter jump shoot agenda. The game allows this. The MR tests do not.

I think this is (or at least contains) the point.

The game allows to complete its content (well, most of it) with very few play styles. You don't like going stealth? No problem, you can accomplish nearly every mission without stealth. You don't like bullet-jumping and/or parkour all the time? No problem, you can go steady on the ground like a tank in every map, and do a forced (!) straight linear jump once in a while.

But I say it's the game "gentle" with you, allowing to complete most of its content with few play styles. If you'ld strive to use more different play styles, adapting to the map and/or mission objective, probably you'ld complete them in less time/less risks/less failures. Mastery tests are there for this reason: like a severe martial art master, they want to check if you "learned the way of the tenno" (also because it's not true that all play styles required by MR tests are not present in the game).

If I may add, don't think you're alone in trying and retrying them ;-)

Same boat here.

I get the concept but it feels far more frustrating then it should be.

I feel I've hit a double wall. I can't unlocked Sedna junction because I can't for the life of me do these puzzles.

And now I"m locked at MR 10. This test is beyond frustrating. Yes I've practiced, and failed a dozen times - not once have I gotten past the opening 1/3 of the test. I've watched the videos:

They are NOT helpful. Watching someone easily bullet jump from point to point doesn't help one bit when noone explains what (or how) they are doing.

I hate jump test. I've been gaming since the 80's and I"ve always hated jump test, so pigeonholing me into doing a timed one AND having to do a series of jump test for the Sedna Junction is hell. Games aren't supposed to be hell.

I'm an achievement orient player if I can't progress why should I keep playing here?

Edited by Vanburg

I play on a PC and am currently at MR7 about to do the MR8 test so I feel this OP frustration. The problem I have is that there is little opportunity in game to practice. The simulacrum is only available to experienced players (as it is I have 15000 standing and need another 35000  to to run about and try it). As a casual player learning how to bullet jump and to a specific distance is hard ingame when you have captura only to runaround in, the alternative is to join a clan and hope they have facilities to train in. Something I am now looking into 

Much of the problem is that you can get by without many of the advanced moves and moreover some of the moves are learnt by accident. There is no tutorial to go back to and most videos show you what is done not teach you how it is done. So telling someone to git gud, without showing is just adding to many people's frustration. In the main this is a horde shooter after the early missions you are basically taking on lots of foes in quick succession. I find the whole stealth ninja thing funny since unless you have something like Loki you are ahrdly stealthy try doing a spy or rescue mission with void fissures as an example.

My friend tried the game and said it was like giving a raw recruit a disassembled M4 in FOP,  under fire being asked to assemble it and fire back, without any instructions. He said it would take at least 20 lives to get it assembled another 10 to get bullets in the magazine 

;-)

Yes you have to git gud but you also have to practice to get gud and the practice needs to be meaningful. For the OP the test does not test what he has needed to get to this point and the practice he has done and the instruction he has been given in game cannot be seen as meaningful. Now the question is how do you make it meaningful such that he can do the tests before the test come up? Noone has given the OP an answer to that.  Saying practice without meaning to that practice would mean that it is not a skill to be had but a test to be passed and often forgotten. 

Git gud. Really. Just practice. I think it's fine for a game to be actually challenging. You might have your particular play style, but so does everyone else who has passed the test. It would seem to me that you need to learn to evolve your play style and become more flexible. I believe that being flexible is the greatest strength in WF, being able to adapt to various situations and problems. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is legitimately the best way to grow as a WF player.

17 hours ago, nickelshark said:

Git gud. Really. Just practice.

The question is how to git gud? And What to practice. It is not the trying that is the problem.

I am current at MR7 and looking to do MR8 test.  Jumping on a platform a specific distance is something I have just not ever considered. It is not the jumping it is now the added accuracy that is needed, the specificity. That is what makes it difficult. So these are not the same moves you make when in game and having spent hours learning to do something one way you are confronted with a test which says you need to do it this way.

The game itself does not say there is a correct way of doing things and so players come to a test having not done some of these things in any tutorial or sometime at any stage,  hence the problem. It is like telling Lonzo Ball that he is shooting the ball incorrectly and has to shoot it like Klay Thompson. hence why people find it difficult. In the word of Yoda you have to unlearn what you did to get to this point which is often hours of 'learning' and 'practice'. Tests are designed to show knowledge or put your knowledge to the test. As you say they will need to be challenging but what I am finding is that what I do for the test and what I do for the game are somewhat different. So it is not testing my knowledge it is giving me something new to learn. Hence the frustration. I realised this when I looked at the MR8 test after passing the MR7 one. I found I could not gauge the distances and heights as the test would have me do and I had not needed to be accurate so I suspect the test is new to the OP as it would be to me. basically people are asking the OP to learn and practice the test even though it is not part of his progression in the game and that is in my view tough. 

This is all the more interesting to me since this is a grinding style of game. To get the parts for the Rhino I had to face the Jackal over 20 times it creates a style of play which is different makes for ease of movement less accuracy to get past the grind. The test then seem to suggest the opposite. It often means that the tests are not progressions in the game but obstacles that are often passed by new player using trial and error rather than skills learnt. The difference between trial and error and being taught is the difference between shooting like Lonzo Ball and Klay Thompson. The OP has been shooting like Lonzo and now we are asking him to shoot like Klay. 

I see some of the same style of posts from people whom are frustrated by some of the features or essentially a lack of knowledge. We seem to put the idea of practice before knowledge: The how and the why. Saying just practice does not help anyone. How does the OP practice what does he do to break it down since it is a set of skills that need to be brought together. There is the movement part and then there is the shooting accuracy. In the movement there is the fact that the person who was completing the test in the video above appeared to have memorised the entire test and was going through it. Whereas the OP is going through stuff blind.  it like doing a music sight reading test or learning a piece and being able to recite it from memory. 

In my view the OP should concentrate on doing the first third of the test smoothly since that is where he has got to and not worry about the rest once he has that first part down study the video and for the next set of obstacles and so on. Spend hours breaking down the moves and forget about the timer try and find an easy mssion where you can practice glide shots and high bullet jumps if that gives you problems. I still have problems with movement and shooting since I am not used to third person shooters I come form mechwarrior online and that is first person. I also play on a PC which can be interesting. 

The breaking down the moves is going to be important since I never got rolling down except for going to captura and trialing it out. I personally think that the simulacrum should be available to all as well as an obstacle course to help people not find their own way but find a method that will help both the tests and the game. 

As it is I still have problems with bullet jumping at times and getting high on jumps can be a problem. Hell knows what happens if I get past MR8 since I may be spending more time practicing the tests than doing th star chart

I currently spend about one fifth of my time practicing the tests since since they basically set the style of what you need learn. Don't treat th test as a obstacle. but something that needs to be broken down and understood. They are as important as missions even though they doing add to your credits of affinity or bring you any resources. but they do open the way to better weapons.

In Mechwarrior online there is a tutorial and an open play area to practice  a lot of the techniques that you need ar set up a practice arenas with increasing difficulty to help you improve. I don't mind the test themselves but i think the problem is nowhere to practice to breakdown the moves needed to pass the the tests it just all or nothing. 

I sometimes go back and do the old tests as an aid to my improvement since sometimes they re useful to do But once you have taken the test it appears you have taken the test you cannot practice it again which is makes for quite a poor new player experience as the tests get harder. it is hard to git gud when there is nothing to git gud on.

58 minutes ago, davidatwilliams said:

The question is how to git gud? And What to practice. It is not the trying that is the problem.

I am current at MR7 and looking to do MR8 test.  Jumping on a platform a specific distance is something I have just not ever considered. It is not the jumping it is now the added accuracy that is needed, the specificity. That is what makes it difficult. So these are not the same moves you make when in game and having spent hours learning to do something one way you are confronted with a test which says you need to do it this way.

The game itself does not say there is a correct way of doing things and so players come to a test having not done some of these things in any tutorial or sometime at any stage,  hence the problem. It is like telling Lonzo Ball that he is shooting the ball incorrectly and has to shoot it like Klay Thompson. hence why people find it difficult. In the word of Yoda you have to unlearn what you did to get to this point which is often hours of 'learning' and 'practice'. Tests are designed to show knowledge or put your knowledge to the test. As you say they will need to be challenging but what I am finding is that what I do for the test and what I do for the game are somewhat different. So it is not testing my knowledge it is giving me something new to learn. Hence the frustration. I realised this when I looked at the MR8 test after passing the MR7 one. I found I could not gauge the distances and heights as the test would have me do and I had not needed to be accurate so I suspect the test is new to the OP as it would be to me. basically people are asking the OP to learn and practice the test even though it is not part of his progression in the game and that is in my view tough. 

This is all the more interesting to me since this is a grinding style of game. To get the parts for the Rhino I had to face the Jackal over 20 times it creates a style of play which is different makes for ease of movement less accuracy to get past the grind. The test then seem to suggest the opposite. It often means that the tests are not progressions in the game but obstacles that are often passed by new player using trial and error rather than skills learnt. The difference between trial and error and being taught is the difference between shooting like Lonzo Ball and Klay Thompson. The OP has been shooting like Lonzo and now we are asking him to shoot like Klay. 

I see some of the same style of posts from people whom are frustrated by some of the features or essentially a lack of knowledge. We seem to put the idea of practice before knowledge: The how and the why. Saying just practice does not help anyone. How does the OP practice what does he do to break it down since it is a set of skills that need to be brought together. There is the movement part and then there is the shooting accuracy. In the movement there is the fact that the person who was completing the test in the video above appeared to have memorised the entire test and was going through it. Whereas the OP is going through stuff blind.  it like doing a music sight reading test or learning a piece and being able to recite it from memory. 

In my view the OP should concentrate on doing the first third of the test smoothly since that is where he has got to and not worry about the rest once he has that first part down study the video and for the next set of obstacles and so on. Spend hours breaking down the moves and forget about the timer try and find an easy mssion where you can practice glide shots and high bullet jumps if that gives you problems. I still have problems with movement and shooting since I am not used to third person shooters I come form mechwarrior online and that is first person. I also play on a PC which can be interesting. 

The breaking down the moves is going to be important since I never got rolling down except for going to captura and trialing it out. I personally think that the simulacrum should be available to all as well as an obstacle course to help people not find their own way but find a method that will help both the tests and the game. 

As it is I still have problems with bullet jumping at times and getting high on jumps can be a problem. Hell knows what happens if I get past MR8 since I may be spending more time practicing the tests than doing th star chart

I currently spend about one fifth of my time practicing the tests since since they basically set the style of what you need learn. Don't treat th test as a obstacle. but something that needs to be broken down and understood. They are as important as missions even though they doing add to your credits of affinity or bring you any resources. but they do open the way to better weapons.

In Mechwarrior online there is a tutorial and an open play area to practice  a lot of the techniques that you need ar set up a practice arenas with increasing difficulty to help you improve. I don't mind the test themselves but i think the problem is nowhere to practice to breakdown the moves needed to pass the the tests it just all or nothing. 

I sometimes go back and do the old tests as an aid to my improvement since sometimes they re useful to do But once you have taken the test it appears you have taken the test you cannot practice it again which is makes for quite a poor new player experience as the tests get harder. it is hard to git gud when there is nothing to git gud on.

Go to the Mercury Relay, find Cephalon Simaris and along the Right Wall when you walk in are all the tests. They allow you to practice them Whenever You Want, provided you are ready for or have passed the test in question.

Its not well communicated, and you do not need the Simulacrum Key to access these. they are just available to run practice with.

You may practice the test before any attempt at qualifying but apparently once you have attempted to qualify and fail you can only do a practice once a day as per the test. hence if you have difficulty in passing it first time it makes it even more difficult after the first fail. 

Im with the OP. Im level 22 working towards 23 and I dread ALL of the tests. I don't play games only to have to take periodic tests! Also it breaks immersion for me. Im 54 years old and real life suxs enough and it too imposes "tests" (Im looking at you fortune 500 company for whom I work for).  Im all for mastery levels but separate the tests for those who like the that sort of thing (who likes taking tests?! Lol).

Edited by (PS4)marshb863

The mastery rank tests are not that hard. I practice each and every one at least once, until I can do it flawlessly or it's so stupid easy I don't need to. Mastery rank tests for me are more about me seeing how far I've progressed as a player throughout my time in warframe. Just hit MR17 and still enjoying this game.

11 hours ago, davidatwilliams said:

You may practice the test before any attempt at qualifying but apparently once you have attempted to qualify and fail you can only do a practice once a day as per the test. hence if you have difficulty in passing it first time it makes it even more difficult after the first fail. 

I dont think this is true, this test was the only one I failed first try and it was, as you, I was unprepared and unfamiliar with the mechanics. Up until then all previous test did not require practice, in fact, I didnt even know you could practice them until I failed this one. 

It took me a couple of test runs, proper weapons (like high mag rifles such as soma) and a bit of understanding of where the orbs would spawn to pass it. Havent failed a test since because I never do them unprepared, you go in practice mode, see whats up, adapt your frame and weapons to it and then, once you are comfortable do it.

You said 

On 27/03/2018 at 6:34 PM, (PS4)hiltaldo said:

But it shouldn’t be this way. I shouldn’t have to cheese a level or “git gud”. I have a different play style to the run around like a nutter jump shoot agenda.

Unfortunately Mastery Test are precisely that, test that require you to get good (I do hate that expression though). They are there because they want to test your skills on a particular thing, they call them mastery because you are suppose to have mastered that particular skill (you really dont have to though). 

Unfortunately we live in a world now where we dont reward for victory just participation, which you have already mentioned is something common enough during your football practice. Where everyone gets a present for participating so nobody feels is underperforming but IMO this causes people to get used to getting rewards for just "doing something" and losing that ambition for winning or the sense of achievement for completing something successfully.. It is only when they grow up and move on with their lives (or at least in some cases) that they realize that winning or being good at something is important. But thats a completely different matter tbh we probably shouldnt be discussing here. 

From the gaming perspective, I would say Destiny 2 is the clearest example atm, a game that gives you everything for free without even having to play, which turns the game into a dull experience. 

MR are not that hard, but there is really no need for you to do them if you dont want to. However, if you are looking for a game that will give you all the loot you want without requirement much skill or practice then I suggest Destiny 2, I like challenging games and I like tests, in fact, I believe this test are way too easy IMO and quite outdated. 

4 hours ago, (PS4)El_Senior_Fats said:

Unfortunately Mastery Test are precisely that, test that require you to get good (I do hate that expression though). They are there because they want to test your skills on a particular thing, they call them mastery because you are suppose to have mastered that particular skill (you really dont have to though). 

I agree that the mastery test are test of proficiency but the point that several people have made is that you don't have to be proficient in any of these thing to move ahead in the game. Some people play it as a hoard shooter, they do not use stealth or any craftinessand other use stealth  so they do not glide shoot or do double jumps or anything like that. The point that I think the OP made was that he has learned a playstyle and he is proficient in it and then he he given a test that essentially tell him that in order to advance he needs a different set of skills. basically he is being put back to the beginning and all that he has acquired is not useful, however once he passes the test then it may be that he goes back to his previous style. I pointed out it was akin to learning to shoot like Lonzo ball and then being told that actually you have to shoot like Klay Thompson it is a rip up and throw away. So I have sympathy for the OP

What I think it says is that whilst I have nothing against the tests in themselves there is nothing in the game that prepares you for the tests and as with many thing some people end up coming into them rather blind. I am practicing for the MR8 test now sometimes it seems easy and at other times I can't get to the first platform. In the hours I put into the game accurate jumping form platform to platform is not one of them I don't need it although it may be that I do, and if I do then it would be useful to be forewarned or indeed this being part of the game earlier that is what some are saying. 

In other games there is much better tutorial on movement and the like. I play Mechwarrior online and it is PvP they have tutorial which goes though basics and advanced features needed in game in order to compete. It is not compulsory and it is clear in game that some people do not avail themselves of this but for those that do it is a very useful resource there is nothing like that in warframe and I am surprised that the community has not pushed for it.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:08 PM, (PS4)hiltaldo said:

I’m new to Warframe. I like the game. I love the developers talking to players and listening but the Mastery Rank Test system is awful.

its jarring to the rest of the game. The game always really creative ways of solving problems. The Mastery Rank tests do not. I’m stuck on MR11 and I just thought “sod it”. Put the pad down and turned off the game. Surely in a global market where triple A games are getting much more scrutiny something that is so out of place in the game needs to go.

As I said I’m new. I’ve recently got my daughter to play. She’s already against the MR tests and looking st the forums this isn’t new either. It dates back to 2013 in some cases! You’ve just celebrated 5 years. I want to be around for it but I won’t be if MR tests stop me playing. I’m already not playing. 

The devs read forums I’m told. Let’s have the discussion. Let’s make it a game that welcomes players not barriers them. 

I truely hope the devs read this. I hope someone cares. I hope someone wants me to stay.

Andy

I'm still wondering:

Who in the WORLD stood up at a design meeting and suggested TESTS in a VIDEO GAME and..

Why in the world is that person STILL ALLOWED TO MAKE DESIGN DECISIONS?

None.of these tests bear any resemblance to actual game play. None of them are fun. None of them enhance enjoyment. And ALL of them take place in this shimmering, headache inducing matrix wannabe level where the background blends into the actual level in a way that's basically a design lesson in what NOT to do.

They are obnoxious, irritating time gates. Nothing more. And they symbolize the increasing lack of respect DE have for their players and our time.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:56 PM, (PS4)LubzinNJ said:

You ever do a capture mission where the target is a slippery turd that keeps getting away before you can get the kill shot on him? MR11 test is kind of like that. So it does have some in-game relationship. I'm sure there are other ways it could be game related...that test is a complete PITA but it is do-able without cheesing it.

I did mine with a Nyx frame without using any special powers or anything just running and gunning, but part of the MR tests is finding out what frames work best for that particular skill that isn't necessarily straight cheesing it it is using different frames for different situations.

I quit doing those missions period the day DE turned the fun off by giving power canceling to EVERY TARGET EVER.

These missions SHOULD have been a creative showcase for using powers to capture targets. Bonus to not being detected. To no shots fired. To no kills. That I tell needs to be worthwhile and of the enemy KNOWS YOU WERW THERE this.means you FAILED. 

Oh, you might have the target. But the enemy is scrapping every plan they knew about. So...largely wasted effort.

But no...since DE can't be bothered to balance their own game we are punished with reductive mechanics instead. And now, every capture is the same: chase the perp like the fat Cop in the B movie chase scene.

Capture missions only exist so first year game design students have something to laugh at. They're sort of like Drone Escort and Cache Hunts that way.

Edited by BlackCoMerc