The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

complete chat suspension unecessary

aFuzzyTurtle

I didnt really see any support place to put this so sorry if its not suited for the feedback catagory.

I was recently suspended from chat and it struck me as how ridiculous the chat suspension system truly is. Being muted or unable to participate or contact other players is one thing but complete blindness to the entire chat? Not being able to see and interact with my clan, trade chat, and party members really kind of takes away a large portion of the game. If a moderator is going to take that drastic of an action why not just ban me? I think the system should be changed to just having a player muted unless they said something extreme where action needs to be taken. 

Also if anyone is wondering what I said (pls no ban) it was something like " I was banned on WoW for saying niba too many times". Ironic lol.  I dont mind being perma muted from chat for that but no blindness please.

9 minutes ago, aFuzzyTurtle said:

I didnt really see any support place to put this so sorry if its not suited for the feedback catagory.

I was recently suspended from chat and it struck me as how ridiculous the chat suspension system truly is. Being muted or unable to participate or contact other players is one thing but complete blindness to the entire chat? Not being able to see and interact with my clan, trade chat, and party members really kind of takes away a large portion of the game. If a moderator is going to take that drastic of an action why not just ban me? I think the system should be changed to just having a player muted unless they said something extreme where action needs to be taken. 

Also if anyone is wondering what I said (pls no ban) it was something like " I was banned on WoW for saying niba too many times". Ironic lol.  I dont mind being perma muted from chat for that but no blindness please.

The chat moderation system can at times be or at least seem draconian, but honestly sometimes things are just not polite for something one might say in public venues no matter the age of patrons. That said, its always possible there was an over-response since that is very close to something that should get one chat banned for a bit righteously. If your chat ban lasts for more than a week - which it will probably last at least - contact support if you don't have an email suggesting why you might be chat banned. Support will ignore your ticket though if that week hasn't expired first.

I tend to agree.

You can chop another man in half, complete with lovingly rendered meaty cross sections, and that's perfectly acceptable. It's an M-rated game, you should expect that kind of content. But you make one slightly edgy comment in chat? Banned for a week. Think of the children.

It's not even the super strict rules that get me, it's the over-the-top punishment for such little things.

In my case it was making a dumb joke at Nezha's expense, and not even a crude one at that. My exact words were, "Nehza is the Trapframe." 

And now, for the heinous crime of banter in the first degree, I . . . 

• Can't see my clan's postings.    
  • Can't speak or be spoken to, not even by my squad mates.
  • Can't host or find specific games.
  • Can't trade with other players or interact with the player market in any way. 
  • Can't interact with the in-game community in any way, shape, or form for seven days.

I think it's safe to say I won't be making any more jokes when my suspension is lifted. Clearly Warframe's chat is a no-fun zone.

Edited by -Synapse-

12 minutes ago, -Synapse- said:

I tend to agree.

You can chop another man in half, complete with lovingly rendered meaty cross sections, and that's perfectly acceptable. It's an M-rated game, you should expect that kind of content. But you make one slightly edgy comment in chat? Banned for a week. Think of the children.

It's not even the super strict rules that get me, it's the over-the-top punishment for such little things.

In my case it was making a dumb joke at Nehza's expense, and not even a crude one at that. My exact words were, "Nehza is the Trapframe." 

And now, for the heinous crime of banter in the first degree, I . . . 

• Can't see my clan's postings.    
  • Can't speak or be spoken to, not even by my squad mates.
  • Can't host or find specific games.
  • Can't trade with other players or interact with the player market in any way. 
  • Can't interact with the in-game community in any way, shape, or form for seven days.

I think it's safe to say I won't be making any more jokes when my suspension is lifted. Clearly Warframe's chat is a no-fun zone.

The ESRB doesn't rate online interactions, so the "rated M" is ONLY the game itself. And I'm honestly fine with the reason you both were banned for and it was justifiable because those terms you guys use are slang and harmful to certain groups of people. 

Edited by FashionFrame

Justo ahora, FashionFrame dijo:

The ESRB doesn't rate online interactions, so the "rated M" is ONLY the game itself. And I'm honestly fine with the reason you both were banned for and it was justifiable because those terms you guys use are slang and harmful to certain groups of people. 

true, but it must be really hateful to be in that situation ...completely isolated. :(

Justo ahora, FashionFrame dijo:

Next time they should honestly think before hitting enter, maybe educate themselves on what's hurtful. I can't find pity in them.

You dont know how much i understand u... Joking about lgbt seems to be acceptable for most of people, they dont realize it hurts, what a lack of empathy. 

Guys, the next time think at the others before. 

8 minutes ago, FashionFrame said:

Next time they should honestly think before hitting enter, maybe educate themselves on what's hurtful. I can't find pity in them.

You seem to have missed the point. We aren't asking for your pity, we're questioning whether the punishment fits the crime.

I'd be fine with being muted for saying something that went against the ToS, but the blindness is overkill. 

Edited by -Synapse-

Gerade eben schrieb -Synapse-:

You seem to have missed the point. We aren't asking for your pity, we're questioning whether the punishment fits the crime.

I'd be fine with being muted for saying something that went against the ToS, but the blindness is overkill. 

if you were fine with it, it is no punishment

I don't think anyone is asking for pity here :p

I've seen people in chat that are new ask to be invited or do certain missions that are seen for a split second and then noted on chat " so-and-so has been suspended from chat". I see these bans so quickly and all the time to both new and veteran players. This moderation system may be needed to completely contain as much irresponsible behaviour as possible, I get that. On the other hand for the unknowing user can feel like a kick in the ass over a hill rather than a slap on the wrist. 

It doesn't tell you why you've been banned. If you're a kid or child the system punishes you in a way a kid won't find fair and doesn't explain what happened.

I recently got banned because I talked negatively to a bot xD there's a small incling of a troll in me ;). On my second day (?) Now. 

I'm not asking to have a more lenient sentence. As with harsh rules it will always punish those that don't know more or they can have those that are actually toxic have their way more.

29 minutes ago, -Synapse- said:

We don't decide the punishment. So it is a pointless thing to ask us. If you have issues with your punishment, you need to take it up with support. 

20 minutes ago, rune_me said:

We don't decide the punishment. So it is a pointless thing to ask us. If you have issues with your punishment, you need to take it up with support. 

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm not asking anyone here to change anything. I'm just trying to gauge the community consensus on chat moderation, hence the term 'questioning' instead of 'asking'. 

Plus the forums are here for discussion, and as long as it's kept civil I don't see why we shouldn't talk about it.  

1 hour ago, FashionFrame said:

''It's best to use a Kinetic Syphon Trap when going after a Synthesis target.'' Boom, chat banned.

Can you explain that one? I can't, because trap is a perfectly normal, every day word that shouldn't be on a ban list.

Just now, Lanadra said:

''It's best to use a Kinetic Syphon Trap when going after a Synthesis target.'' Boom, chat banned.

Can you explain that one? I can't, because trap is a perfectly normal, every day word that shouldn't be on a ban list.

time for education. The kick was for the whole "Nezha" and "trap" in the same sentence. Maybe not the same sentence, but when they're close together. It isn't JUST the word "trap"

19 minutes ago, -Synapse- said:

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm not asking anyone here to change anything. I'm just trying to gauge the community consensus on chat moderation, hence the term 'questioning' instead of 'asking'. 

Plus the forums are here for discussion, and as long as it's kept civil I don't see why we shouldn't talk about it.  

I don't see an issue with it. 

It's harsh, but not permanent, and it weeds trolls out by not giving them an avenue. 

To innocent cases, it's a reminder of what not to do when it wears out. It's not permanent, just wait it out, or play another game. 

[DE]Glen once banned a player for creating multiple threads on this when it was already explained why it wasn't tolerable. It's just part of the rules. 

6 minutes ago, FashionFrame said:

time for education. The kick was for the whole "Nezha" and "trap" in the same sentence. Maybe not the same sentence, but when they're close together. It isn't JUST the word "trap"

''I'm going to use Nezha, and since I'll be going after a synthesis target, I should probably equip my Kinetic Siphon Traps in the gear menu as well.''

I dare say that's still a perfectly innocent and normal use of both Nezha and the word trap.

Anyhow, I'm going to stop now, I just find it utterly ridiculous that using every day words in a chat can get me banned. Worst part is that it creates a constant feeling of not knowing when you're accidentally going to set the blasted mod system off. This is why I don't use chats anymore.

Edited by Lanadra

1 minute ago, Lanadra said:

''I'm going to use Nezha, and since I'll be going after a synthesis target, I should probably equip my Kinetic Siphon Traps in the gear menu as well.''

I dare say that's still a perfectly innocent and normal use of both Nezha and the word trap.

Anyhow, I'm going to stop now, I just find it utterly ridiculous that using every day words in a chat can get me banned. Worst part is that it creates a constant feeling of not knowing when you're accidentally going to set the blasted mod system off. This is why I don't use chats anymore.

didn't read what I said? Maybe not the same sentence. Let me reiterate, MAYBE they have to be a few words apart. Stop digging so hard into this. The whole "Nezha is a trap" is demeaning and disrespectful END of story!

8 minutes ago, FashionFrame said:

didn't read what I said? Maybe not the same sentence. Let me reiterate, MAYBE they have to be a few words apart. Stop digging so hard into this. The whole "Nezha is a trap" is demeaning and disrespectful END of story!

If I could apologize to Nezha I would, but unfortunately he doesn't exist. 

Edited by -Synapse-

Just now, FashionFrame said:

That's not -my- point. My point is the utter idiocy of people getting banned for making use of every day words that some mod bot has on a ban list it's terrorizing often innocent players with. And really.. are you really going to argue the semantics of how far away the word trap is from the name Nezha? I dare say the only parameter will likely be ''trap'' ''Nezha'', are they in the same line of text posted by a player? Yes? Ban.

Finally, are you going to complain when people call Ember or Nova's deluxe skin butt ugly as well? About how that is hurtful to these fictional characters? Look, if such a thing is said about another player, hell yeah I agree with you, that is demeaning and disrespectful to say about another player. But come on, Nezha is a fictional character.

3 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

That's not -my- point. My point is the utter idiocy of people getting banned for making use of every day words that some mod bot has on a ban list it's terrorizing often innocent players with. And really.. are you really going to argue the semantics of how far away the word trap is from the name Nezha? I dare say the only parameter will likely be ''trap'' ''Nezha'', are they in the same line of text posted by a player? Yes? Ban.

Finally, are you going to complain when people call Ember or Nova's deluxe skin butt ugly as well? About how that is hurtful to these fictional characters? Look, if such a thing is said about another player, hell yeah I agree with you, that is demeaning and disrespectful to say about another player. But come on, Nezha is a fictional character.

Sorry but this is just you being incredibly silly. You are fully aware that "trap frame" or "Nezha is a trap" is the derogatory use of the word trap and goes well beyond the normal and innocent use of the word. Nobody here has been banned for the use of a normal word...they were banned for using a dog whistle. 

You are also fully aware what the derogatory meaning of trap is and which group of people it targets. You trying to play dumb and pretending it targets fictional character is simply unbelievable.  

6 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

Because how often does that happen? You are talking about a rare situation that seems barely worth discussing. Especially since you already know the combination of words, which should make it easy to avoid it.

It's really not that hard to avoid getting banned. Most of us avoid it on a daily basis, without even trying. 

3 minutes ago, Lanadra said:

So in other words, you don't know what the term "trap" when used in context against nezha means? Look, just go use the internet, look it up, educate yourself on how it's offensive and why it's perfectly fine to ban people because of it.

Again, I don't know if you'll get banned if you use your example where "trap" and "Nezha" are 10 words apart, I don't. But go ahead, feel free to test that out in chat and see if you get banned or not. I'm pretty sure you won't, but don't quote me on that. It's the FACT that they're using as very offensive term is why they were banned. The whole "Ember or Nova's deluxe skin butt ugly" isn't slang. The bot bans slang. Such as using the word "gay" in a derogatory manner. Or using trap in a derogatory manner, in THIS case, against Nezha, which was a VERY stale and very rude meme. DE puts that on the ban list because it was abused to hell and back and because it's slang.  If you can't wrap your head around it and come to realize how terrible the situation is and why the person deserved the ban, then just don't talk to me about it, because I undoubtedly can't make it more clear for you.