Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just asking: how does GDPR affect DE?

Sirfol

24 minutes ago, XCpDaX said:

but maybe space mom is copying data from our fashionframes to sell us more cosmetics :3

I'm okay with this. Then I don't have to go through the effort of telling DE what I want.

Edited by Late.for.tea

This sort of stuff is going to reshape the whole world. Previously, everyone was a product that was being sold over and over again through thousands of different companies. Your data was precious and it was being used to fund every website you ever go onto. 

It's been this way for decades and hasn't changed in decades, it's just that only just now, people have realized that they are products because no one reads eulas and terms and conditions. If you go read the windows terms and conditions, or the Apple's, or Google's, they all tell you very clearly at some point, that you're a product and that your data is being used and sold. 

If data privacy becomes too much, then entire websites will have to shut down because they no longer make money. Stuff like YouTube and facebook is at massive risk of this and could literally shut down. The only way I see YouTube surviving long enough to keep going is switching their model to a subscription based system like Netflix.... 

Edited by Arniox

38 minutes ago, XCpDaX said:

i dont think that have any effect, but maybe space mom is copying data from our fashionframes to sell us more cosmetics :3

>_> you do realze litterly every transaction is data they use for investment and sales right? that is just how that works.

Or more accuretly what you buy, sell, or trade. Prime part prices might be lower then they use to be, but more transactions are made due to it. Rivens are kept rare er becasue total cost is high, makeing them sought after and a high price. its a free market but it dosnt mean its not a watched one.

20 minutes ago, Arniox said:

This sort of stuff is going to reshape the whole world. Previously, everyone was a product that was being sold over and over again through thousands of different companies. Your data was precious and it was being used to fund every website you ever go onto. 

It's been this way for decades and hasn't changed in decades, it's just that only just now, people have realized that they are products because no one reads eulas and terms and conditions. If you go read the windows terms and conditions, or the Apple's, or Google's, they all tell you very clearly at some point, that you're a product and that your data is being used and sold. 

If data privacy becomes too much, then entire websites will have to shut down because they no longer make money. Stuff like YouTube and facebook is at massive risk of this and could literally shut down. The only way I see YouTube surviving long enough to keep going is switching their model to a subscription based system like Netflix.... 

yeah i agree, that's why i was curious if DE is affected, in particular the EULA. Many developer are already restructuring for GDPR.

Take Two have already changed some of the rules. this is the thread on reddit that sparked my curiosity:

btw i think the EULA of the screenshoot there is the american one.

Edited by Sirfol

53 minutes ago, Sirfol said:

yeah i agree, that's why i was curious if DE is affected, in particular the EULA. Many developer are already restructuring for GDPR.

Take Two have already changed some of the rules. this is the thread on reddit that sparked my curiosity:

btw i think the EULA of the screenshoot there is the american one.

Yeah, Luckely it seems like alot of these problems are more so occurring in the US and Europe. I live outside of both, so I'm safe for a linger period. But this will eventually effect everyone across every website and we may see gigantic online titans fall to these new rules and regulations. 

The person who wrote that review is an idiot.

That's standard in terms and conditions in order to comply with mandatory government regulations, to allow the company making the game to outsource or seek consultancy on certain parts of development without having to ask for further permission, and to provide website services like this https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/aerie-peak/cíerona to players.

Just because selling personal information to anyone could be possible under those terms, does not prove that that is the intent of the company that is using them, and that they were written for that purpose, instead of the far, far more likely purposes I set out above.

Edited by polarity

5 hours ago, polarity said:

That's standard in terms and conditions in order to comply with mandatory government regulations, to allow the company making the game to outsource or seek consultancy on certain parts of development without having to ask for further permission, and to provide website services like this https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/aerie-peak/cíerona to players.

Just because selling personal information to anyone could be possible under those terms, does not prove that that is the intent of the company that is using them, and that they were written for that purpose, instead of the far, far more likely purposes I set out above.

If it is not the intent then there would be no problem for them to explicitly state that they won't...now would it? 

If it isn't explicitly excluded they explicitly want it to remain a possibility. These documents are rarely written by idiots.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)BOSS_TPH76 said:

If it is not the intent then there would be no problem for them to explicitly state that they won't...now would it? 

You are pointing to what appears to be a boilerplate EULA that T2 probably uses in every other game of theirs.

If you don't trust them now, why would you believe them if they said something?

Why pay lawyers to craft one for every game you publish rather than make one that applies to anything and everything you publish?

22 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

You are pointing to what appears to be a boilerplate EULA that T2 probably uses in every other game of theirs.

If you don't trust them now, why would you believe them if they said something?

Why pay lawyers to craft one for every game you publish rather than make one that applies to anything and everything you publish?

This is not a matter of trust. This is how it works.

It isn't an "oversight" as you imply here. Companies are pretty well informed about privacy laws and user data earning potential. So if it isn't excluded in the EULA the company explicitly reserves the potential. It does't matter if it is boiler plate or not...which in turn will not matter for any litigation. It is a contract. And companies not intending to reserve the right and potential to sell your data can sure as hell mention it explicitly in their boiler plate EULA. If they do not then that was intentional. 

I don't think the EULA will be affected, but the privacy policy will be. It needs to mention what data is being gathered about you and what it is used for. There's lot of other things which (depending on how processing of data is currently handled) will need to be changed as well. I'm working on GDPR within my own organisation and it has a serious impact on how we do things. If DE does indeed change the privacy policy they will need to specifically inform their users about it and ask for consent. Modifying it on the website as it is now without notifying anyone is insufficient. You can't even combine the EULA and the privacy policy in one document. It cannot be bundled like in the KSP EULA. On that of that you need to be able to withdraw your consent as easily as you've given it and you should be able to ask DE to remove/obfuscate all of your personal identifiable information from their systems (this includes IP addresses and such).

Edited by Drungly

On 4/24/2018 at 12:30 AM, polarity said:

But when the GDPR takes effect such "standards" will no longer really be sufficient.

And the whole just because they could doesn't mean they are doing it, becomes a moot point. Because if you worry about what they are doing with your data, you can at any time request access to exactly what data they have on you (and they have to provide it to you for free) and what it is being used for. You don't have to worry about whether the company is selling your personal information or not, because if you want to know, they have to tell you.