Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea - Focus gain based on school combat style

Morndawn

I was hoping from the moment I saw focus schools that it will develop more the game for me after I will gather all the warframes and weapons. But first there was chasing yellow ball, then only Adaro, which was 1 mission with 1 style of combat - stealth, now it is another one - 1 type of combat - to kill as much as possible, which is something similar like chasing yellow ball, which is atleast somehow variable, but not ideal for me. So I was thinking about what was the original idea and how it could work: 

I wish it would be based on combat style of chosen school, and the lenses would be there to not to add specific school focus, but to add school focus for chosen combat, so it would be still universal, but also it would be meaningful and not dull for players who like the detailed background lore of Warframe. 

So how it would work is: 

there are 5 focus schools  and 5 styles of combat, if connected together it could be: melee kills, stealth kills, dps kills, support, heal. It would have to be weapon/warframes together - player/operator choice would be important, then when for example: if I would cast support skill or shoot with support weapon (giving some boost to group) I would get % of focus. Or heal if chosen school would be heal, or pure dps if chosen school would be dps. 

But if it would be my second chosen school and previously I would go mainly for melee, then I could use support focus lens to get support focus through melee kills if that is the style of combat I prefer. 

This would be impossible. I understand your idea but killing as many enemies as quickly as possible is the fastest way to earn affinity always, so that will always be the way people earn focus. Even if you were to make it so you had to use "support" weapons or frames to get "support" focus, people would simply build those weapons or frames for damage and the game would have no way of knowing whether your use was for support or not, so it would still be exactly as it is now. One of the schools gives bonus affinity for melee, that's the best you'll get.

It would also make it very hard to earn focus for certain schools like healing or support, as you would actually be forced to those things and if no one on your team takes damage you'll be unable to heal them.

35 minutes ago, Morndawn said:

I wish it would be based on combat style of chosen school, and the lenses would be there to not to add specific school focus, but to add school focus for chosen combat, so it would be still universal, but also it would be meaningful and not dull for players who like the detailed background lore of Warframe. 

And where does this leave those with no interest in the lore?

For me, the implementation of this would totally ruin focus gain. You are making it way too complicated. The way it currently works is okay. Yes, its boring. But it is relatively straightforward. Why not just do this with your yourself? Pick a focus school, imagine we have your proposed system and try it. I also fail to see where the defensive Unairu school comes in this.

Side note: "Support" is just a poor choice. Support could be defensive abilities, CC abilities, buffing abilities or restorative abilities. What ONE school would you place with support?

6 hours ago, Morndawn said:

there are 5 focus schools  and 5 styles of combat, if connected together it could be: melee kills, stealth kills, dps kills, support, heal.

So lets break down your idea for focus gains by "school":
-Melee kills would be easy.  If this was your school you wouldn't have a problem getting focus, especially with the memeing strike meta

-Stealth kills would be annoying.  If you chose this one without knowing that it was pure stealth?  Good luck getting focus unless you sit your butt down on Adaro and farm as normal kills wouldn't do crap.  And you would have to do this solo!  No group play for you as your group would ruin your stealth kills.  Hopefully you didn't chose this one without knowing, and hopefully you actually have the frames/weapons needed for stealthing Adaro over and over again

-DPS kills would be the easiest.  Just do what you always do and gain constant focus.

-Support....please define support.  Especially what you consider are "support guns".  Is it buffing?  Debuffing? CC? Defensive?  And how would you get focus for these things?  I mean an ability cast will give you 25-100 affinity, with the very low affinity to focus conversion it would take dozens of ability casts for a small handful of points.  After all none of those abilities are killing enemies...

-Heal would be horrible.  You would be forced to play Harrow/Trinity and spamming your healing abilities over and over in a boring way and hoping that your squad mates are getting hurt enough to actually count as healing them.  Good luck if you don't have either of these frames...especially with how annoying it is to get either of those frames.

So pretty much if a person unknowning chooses Support, Heal, or Stealth they could easily be ruining their early chances at the focus farms, and with how long it can take to get lenses to learn other schools they could be stuck in a hole of "Well I have an unusable focus school...." for quite a while.
And even beyond that it's simply untenable to level those 3 schools because of how many hoops you need to jump through and how limited your gains are.

7 hours ago, Morndawn said:

But if it would be my second chosen school and previously I would go mainly for melee, then I could use support focus lens to get support focus through melee kills if that is the style of combat I prefer. 

Could you please explain what you mean here?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

On 2018-04-29 at 3:50 PM, Tsukinoki said:

So lets break down your idea for focus gains by "school":
-Melee kills would be easy.  If this was your school you wouldn't have a problem getting focus, especially with the memeing strike meta

-Stealth kills would be annoying.  If you chose this one without knowing that it was pure stealth?  Good luck getting focus unless you sit your butt down on Adaro and farm as normal kills wouldn't do crap.  And you would have to do this solo!  No group play for you as your group would ruin your stealth kills.  Hopefully you didn't chose this one without knowing, and hopefully you actually have the frames/weapons needed for stealthing Adaro over and over again

-DPS kills would be the easiest.  Just do what you always do and gain constant focus.

-Support....please define support.  Especially what you consider are "support guns".  Is it buffing?  Debuffing? CC? Defensive?  And how would you get focus for these things?  I mean an ability cast will give you 25-100 affinity, with the very low affinity to focus conversion it would take dozens of ability casts for a small handful of points.  After all none of those abilities are killing enemies...

-Heal would be horrible.  You would be forced to play Harrow/Trinity and spamming your healing abilities over and over in a boring way and hoping that your squad mates are getting hurt enough to actually count as healing them.  Good luck if you don't have either of these frames...especially with how annoying it is to get either of those frames.

So pretty much if a person unknowning chooses Support, Heal, or Stealth they could easily be ruining their early chances at the focus farms, and with how long it can take to get lenses to learn other schools they could be stuck in a hole of "Well I have an unusable focus school...." for quite a while.
And even beyond that it's simply untenable to level those 3 schools because of how many hoops you need to jump through and how limited your gains are.

Could you please explain what you mean here?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

The whole point is that now xps is mainly for fast dps warframes, focus is also only for dps, so it does support 1 game style and I would like to have some variety. And stealth focus gain is something a bit else and that gave me inspiration for this. I know that the reason is that it would be hard to measure anything else. 

DE have 1 style of gaining focus in different missions with the exception of stealth kills as something where you need to use some skills. Plus that new mission. 

So I was thinking if it would be possible if you could get focus for 1 style of your favoured gameplay in any mission, so that means that some players could feel happy about it, you know :). It also feels right for the game - like something different, because dps is awarded in xps gain already. 

So you say that always stealthy would be boring, but it is in the game already. If it is OK for some players, would heal or support (like harrow kind of critical support) OK too? Or could be CC counted - like stuns, blinds. Would be possible to count how much your critical boost counted for the kill? Right now I can boost with Harrow as much as I want - but do I get anything out of it? Maybe as a team for xps, but most of the time the focus gain difference is really big. If it would be possible count, then it would be possible to get focus by doing that. You are right, that heal would be the hardest, because it depens on others, maybe if that would be for friendly mobs too, or quite often there is an option to give shield instead if health is full, you could be gaining focus in Defection mission by boosting and healing defecting Grineeers. But maybe it wouldn't work.

Lets say I like Nyx, she kills with confusing mobs which kills each other - could that be counted somehow? Or there is Zephyr, he kills slowly with tornados, while others just fast dps everything. Then there is Trinity without dps. Maybe I'm wrong and I shouldn't have favourite warframes, just take the biggest fastest dps and do everything with it... But I wanted to think if there is any alternative to it. 

And the lenses would allow you to ignore all of it, so everyone could be happy - like the madurai lens you could use dps gaining focus for any primary school. And you get 1 for the quest.

Or another version is that all focus could stay as it is, only those primary schools could give you extra focus gain bonuses if you would use the combat style they prefer.