The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Possible The Sacrifice Spoilers] Umbra and Komi

Avalanche_Army501rst

So after completing The Sacrifice I was left in shock, but also I noticed some things that I think DE could add to the game in a future hotfix so DE if you come across my thread take this into consideration 😉

So firstly let's talk about Excalibur Umbra (spoiler ahead).

Spoiler

Umbra, unlike other Warframes, managed to retain his sentience even after getting infected with the Infestation (which I will be referring to ad the Technocyte Virus from the game Dark Sector on this thread) and is able to follow the Operator around and fight alongside him when he's not controlling Umbra. Yet I noticed that this is not true when in the Orbiter. Umbra just behaves like any other Warframe standing in a corner waiting for the Operator to regain control. Something that I have seen in the community (myself included) get highly criticized. So considering that umbra is a sentient Warframe capable of moving on it's own then why not have him doing the same in the Orbiter when we're as the Operator? The idea is that he wanders randomly around the Orbiter. Not just merely walking around, but also interacting with the Obiter.

Example:

So when you switch to your Operator Umbra starts to walk around and he walk up to the Codex and decides to read on something and he may have like a thinking or curious animation of him reading. A while later we can see him sorting out the mod inventory or working on something on the modbench like he transmutes some mods that ARE NOT installed on your weapons (yes I actually mean transmute mods not just an animation of him doing something there) and that you have repeated (like 10 or more of the same mod) to get a good mod or rolling a Riven with bad stats to try and get something with good stats (this may consume your Kuva supply, but way less than when you do it to avoid having us go bananas over Umbra's creativity process XD). During that process he could have an animation of him getting frustrated over failed attempts at good mods/goood riven stats or an animation of him succeeding in his task. Then he could like move to the foundry to try and build stuff like a sword or something (not a real one mind you just something to show during the animation but could have a chance at actually crafting something like Forma, a Catalyst, a Reactor, or an anti-toxin).

Then if you have your sentinel equipped he could move over to it and try to clean it with some cleaning materials or wipe a smudge from it with his scarf. If you have your pet active he could play with it and if you have a toy lying around the use the toy to play with your pet. Unless your pet is a Helminth Charger then he would acted a bit scared of it while it tries to get affection from him (after a period of time of getting accustomed to it he would play with it like with a normal Kubrow or Kavat). After that he would go over to the arsenal and pull out a weapon to give it some maintenance and take it with him (considering that the weapon he chooses isn't the one he has equipped) and goes over to our quarters and sit in the sofa (let's call it a sofa since I have no idea how to call it) and begins to clean it and maybe dismantle it to clean/change the interior parts. After he's done he could lay down on that very sofa and have a nap for a while and during that while the Operator may not be able to return to him until he wakes up. After that he return the weapon to the arsenal and out of pure curiosity heads to the Somatic Link to inspect the room and where the Operator sits. He could have an animation of looking around and when he gets near the link itself the he could get close to certain areas to look at them better (this could include kneeling or bending down). Along with this he could also lean against a wall for a period of time, look out the window of the landing craft or quarters, look at the fish tank(s) for a while (if there are fish in them) or the center piece that is in our quarters, pick up random objects that are laid about to better look at them, sit on the floor or sofa in different poses. 

So that first part was a mouthful, but please bear with me I have something else that I know you'll like XD (contains a bit of spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

So a lot of us (myself included) loved the game of Komi. Unfortunately this minigame is not playable anymore once the quest ends. My idea is that you can have a Komi board in your quarters in the Orbiter and you can play with either Umbra (the Komi master before he got infected by Ballas with the Technocyte Virus), Ordis, or with a fellow Tenno you invite to your orbiter. Also in the clan dojo you could have a room with several tables to play with your clanmates and that they can play with each other simultaneously. Same concept can be applied to the relays on the second floor.

So this is my idea of what can be added in a future hotfix to make things interesting in Warframe with Umbra and the game of Komi. Let me know what y'all think 😄

(Note to admins and mods)

Spoiler

If I need to change anything to better accommodate the forum rules or need to relocate this thread to it's proper subforum which I may not be aware of thinking it's this one do not hesitate to let me know.

Edited by Avalanche_Army501rst

I like the idea of Umbra wandering the ship. I do not like the idea of him fusing mods without my authorization or trying to build stuff and find that I lack the means or blueprint for it. I do like him taking weapons, giving them a wash with some Exalted Water, and inspecting them.

Here's what I've got outlined, in yet another spoiler:

Spoiler

Umbra passive actions if you're Operator, in full list:

Spoiler

-If he finds The Father, you'll get a marker and hear The Father saying 'Hey - no wait, you're not my kiddo.', then Umbra would utter, with his crude vocalizations mixed with spliced Specter dialogue, to inform you that he 'Found someone.'

-Will randomly pull out an armament from the Arsenal. If it's Infested, he would, 2 out or 3 times, put it away again. If it's Sentient, he'd keep it out and stare at it's intricacies. If he pulls out a Prime, he'd proceed to instinctively wash it with Exalted Water, and would be found with a bucket made from metal scraps and a weapon drying off from being super-washed.

-Will occasionally pet the companion for you if one is out, if not, he will examine the Kubrow egg. No egg? He'll look at your Sentinel with interest. No Sentinel? This action is void.

-Will attempt to build things you can build but haven't mastered, like Forma. Whenever he tries this, you'll be prompted and he'll stand there, arms folded and foot tapping, wondering why the command did not yet process, or merely believing there's a loading screen or some network difficulties. On occasion, he may craft an 'Umbra' Ayatan, which is a black version of a normal Ayatan which doesn't move and is often made of junk material, coated in a black, reflective metal; such are mere decor and are not endo sources.

-May be seen sat in your Transference chair, delaying Transference-ing back in by about 5 seconds.

-Will delay arsenal switches depending on passive action (him being pulled out, and then parkouring to the arsenal, before returning to his obedient state, all of which should take no longer than 5 seconds).

-Could be found sat down on the couch in the lounge, at navigation, stood at the Codex terminal, or just knelt looking out the lounge or navigation viewport.

-Would be able to be interacted with, giving the options to: 1: stop what he's doing, 2: pet/pat him. 3: challenge him to a Komi match on a simulated game board, courtesy of Ordis.

-Will attempt to transmute mods you have over 30 of on occasion, with permission.

-Upon finding the Stalker in noggle form, may shrug at it.

-Upon finding Inaros' urn, may take a moment to look at it.

-May gaze at Rell's Donda for a moment.

Short version with much fewer things required:

Spoiler

-Try to fuse, transmute, and build, causing Ordis to set up an 'authorizations queue' so the Operator can ensure no sapient other than themselves can waste their resources.

-Pet the companion.

-Sit on the couch if it is not occupied by objects.

-Delay arsenal response time due to running/parkouring to it or getting there from his own pause menu, which adds a unique layer of immersion.

-Interrupting him during his lounge-time on the couch may prompt a game of Komi, hosted by Ordis on a simulated board.

Question is, what are the most important elements you want him to interact with of his own volition that don't have too many possible outcomes?

15 minutes ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

I like the idea of Umbra wandering the ship. I do not like the idea of him fusing mods without my authorization or trying to build stuff and find that I lack the means or blueprint for it. I do like him taking weapons, giving them a wash with some Exalted Water, and inspecting them.

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

-If he finds The Father, you'll get a marker and hear The Father saying 'Hey - no wait, you're not my kiddo.', then Umbra would utter, with his crude vocalizations mixed with spliced Specter dialogue, to inform you that he 'Found someone.'

-Will randomly pull out an armament from the Arsenal. If it's Infested, he would, 2 out or 3 times, put it away again. If it's Sentient, he'd keep it out and stare at it's intricacies. If he pulls out a Prime, he'd proceed to instinctively wash it with Exalted Water, and would be found with a bucket made from metal scraps and a weapon drying off from being super-washed.

-Will occasionally pet the companion for you if one is out, if not, he will examine the Kubrow egg. No egg? He'll look at your Sentinel with interest. No Sentinel? This action is void.

-Will attempt to build things you can build but haven't mastered, like Forma. Whenever he tries this, you'll be prompted and he'll stand there, arms folded and foot tapping, wondering why the command did not yet process, or merely believing there's a loading screen or some network difficulties. On occasion, he may craft an 'Umbra' Ayatan, which is a black version of a normal Ayatan which doesn't move and is often made of junk material, coated in a black, reflective metal; such are mere decor and are not endo sources.

-May be seen sat in your Transference chair, delaying Transference-ing back in by about 5 seconds.

-Will delay arsenal switches depending on passive action (him being pulled out, and then parkouring to the arsenal, before returning to his obedient state, all of which should take no longer than 5 seconds).

-Could be found sat down on the couch in the lounge, at navigation, stood at the Codex terminal, or just knelt looking out the lounge or navigation viewport.

-Would be able to be interacted with, giving the options to: 1: stop what he's doing, 2: pet/pat him. 3: challenge him to a Komi match on a simulated game board, courtesy of Ordis.

-Will attempt to transmute mods you have over 30 of on occasion, with permission.

Reveal hidden contents

-Try to fuse, transmute, and build, causing Ordis to set up an 'authorizations queue' so the Operator can ensure no sapient other than themselves can waste their resources.

-Pet the companion.

-Delay arsenal response time due to running/parkouring to it or getting there from his own pause menu, which adds a unique layer of immersion.

-Interrupting him during his lounge-time on the couch may prompt a game of Komi, hosted by Ordis on a simulated board.

Question is, what are the most important elements you want him to interact with of his own volition that don't have too many possible outcomes?

Personally I would love for Umbra to interact with the whole Orbiter and any objects found in it of course. The idea of Ordis setting up an authorization queue is perfect to avoid wasting resources. The idea of "Umbra" Ayatans would be super funny though I would like to see where he's gonna pull the materials out of. He could even bring these Ayatans to you to look at like, "Look at my marvelous creation Operator. It is MAGNIFICENT". I basically see that our ideas have a lot of potential of making something great ^_^

Edited by Avalanche_Army501rst

These all sound like great ideas, and it would finally gives us an npc that can live on our ship, like their his living quarters, it gets kind of lonely when it's just the Tenno, Helminth, and the Man in the Wall. Helminth is just a voice behind a door, and the Man in the Wall never stays around long enough. Umbra is the only long term quest/resident on our Orbiter. 

I personally think Umbra should be able to craft some unique Dax weaponry to add to our arsenal, like a smith. So far, all you can do with him, out of mission, is take him for a walk around Cetus.

On 2018-06-15 at 7:49 PM, Koldraxon-732 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

-Pet the companion.

i really love the idea of the whole process of Umbra being able to roam the ship of his own volition, but i can only see one problem with this; it would take a very long time for the Devs to do animations for every little thing that he'd do in the ship, I.E. interracting with the foundry and mod stations, decorations, etc;

all in all, i love the idea of bringing Komi into the game other than just a small mini game with Ballas, in which you could play with Umbra, Ordis, Simaris, Teshin, or any other character from the game, even into an sort of PVP format. again, the only problem i see with this is possibly coding and keeping up with the hotfixes that would come with it.

Overall, I love these ideas, and i'd love to see them implimented, if at all.

On 2018-06-16 at 1:02 AM, TaurusDeRoma said:

These all sound like great ideas, and it would finally gives us an npc that can live on our ship, like their his living quarters, it gets kind of lonely when it's just the Tenno, Helminth, and the Man in the Wall. Helminth is just a voice behind a door, and the Man in the Wall never stays around long enough. Umbra is the only long term quest/resident on our Orbiter. 

I personally think Umbra should be able to craft some unique Dax weaponry to add to our arsenal, like a smith. So far, all you can do with him, out of mission, is take him for a walk around Cetus.

It would also be interesting if umbra could walk around cetus (when not transfered to) by himself, instead of just following you around. He'd go on the shops and just look at the merchandise, maybe pick something up and put it down again. This would have to be client-side only, I can only imagine the strain for the server that would be a bunch of umbra just messing with everything.

1 hour ago, (PS4)VanguardViking said:

One thing I'd like to add to the discussion.

Hide contents

Should they ever add Komi to orbiters, dojo's, or relays, I would much prefer a proper 19 x 19 go board as opposed to the 5 x 5 board we got in the quest. 

Spoiler

I didn't understand why the needless spoiler.

I much prefer the 5x5 board, with simpler rules, rather than just straight up an actual GO board
It's less serious, more casual and takes less between rounds, perfect to be just a pass time or minigame on the relays.

1 hour ago, (PS4)VanguardViking said:

One thing I'd like to add to the discussion.

Hide contents

Should they ever add Komi to orbiters, dojo's, or relays, I would much prefer a proper 19 x 19 go board as opposed to the 5 x 5 board we got in the quest. 

At that point you would want them to add the game of Go to Warframe which is where Komi was derivated from

I think we just more ways to interact with Old Dax (Umbra) than just taking him for walks around Cetus and the Dojo. He is already self aware, we shouldn't store him off screen, like the rest of our frames, but let him walk around. Let him be independent of our slots, or put him in a pod, which is where I assume the rest of the frames go when not equipped. 

Does the Helminth keep them from aging? The Infestation says they are the key to immortality.

I want a mini cut scene when you meet Teshin when using Umbra for the first time. considering Teshin is the last Dax, and Umbra was once a great Dax himself, Teshin would surely remind him of is past self. a small interaction. possibly umbra making a gesture of challenging Teshin in a game of Komi and some Tea or some random Bros among Dax Tradition. also Orbiter Interaction with stuff thats Related to him e.g. the tea set and his portrait, and Drawing his Exalted Blade when the man in the wall shows up.

also Umbra should be able to pet the operator lmao

The way I see it, Umbra has become a resident of the orbiter, so he lives with his operator. Since the Operator is a kid, he would be either our guardian, that we control whenever we are using him in a mission. Teshin is/was a mentor to us that brought us back to our void power selves, and taught us to stand on our own. What would make this better is that we have either Umbra Dax, or Teshin Dax make/give us Dax weaponry, either by giving us blueprints, or favors along with unique power boosts to said weapons. That way we would help keep the ways of the Dax alive. They should be our mentors, as either their own syndicate or subgroup that support the Tenno in their fights, not another Lotus figure.

Hopefully they improve Umbra's AI, we want a mighty Dax warrior, not a simpleton specter.