Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Not Remove Recoil From Burst Weapons Or All Weapons, Or Add Recoil To Buffed Rifles?

Destro6677

I had this discussion with a friend who warframes regularly with me. We both agreed that burst recoil is hell on the player, and forces you to 'chop' your mouse down to keep the reticule on target.

Truly, why would skilled play lie in chopping your mouse, and not instead landing headshots?

Hence, my personal suggestion would be that a mechanic to decay rifle aim over time increase rifle recoil over time when fired in full auto mode be implemented and the extreme recoil of burst weapons be reduced to half its current effect, or removed altogether. To make this work, rifle mods and damage should definitely be buffed.

Your thoughts?

Edit: One weapon I really liked from Warpath, also by DE, was the Wolverine machine gun. It had good accuracy for around 5-10 shots at medium-long range, even better, a smaller reticle size if you used it while crouched. but if you went full auto it became a complete waste of ammo because the targeting reticle became a huge circle. Unless the enemy was in your face. In which case, they'd keel over dead unless they knifed you first or shotgunned you. Bad example of screenshake.

Second edit: My friend believes that we should remove recoil altogether because Tenno are essentially cyborgs and any recoil would be a result of the gun itself.

Edited by Destro6677

Screenshake is the new "standard". I know a few players who cant use a Gorgon because it makes them sick (motion sickness).

A Cone of fire system would work well if screen shake was removed.

If you want "realism", go play paintball.

We both agreed that this recoil is hell on the player, and forces you to 'chop' your mouse down to keep the reticule on target.

Truly, why would skilled play lie in chopping your mouse, and not instead landing headshots?

Far from mutually exclusive.

Simply putting your cross-hair on target requires less skill than compensating for recoil at the same time.

Your thoughts?

I think the current recoil system works pretty well, and I use a lot of burst fire weapons.

I hate the idea of "aim decay" and feel it's one of the worst mechanics in shooters.

Automatic weapons already have crappy accuracy and crappy damage ramping, and the worst ammo-to-damage ratio of any weapon class in the game, and you want to make them worse?

How about no.

That's a problem with the automatics that needs fixing anyway.

@Saenol, if I may play devil's advocate.

Why shouldn't regular rifles have aim decay after they are buffed? Pray tell why you hate the mechanic.

Edited by Destro6677

While functionally similar these two mechanics differ in one very important area; individual skill. With aim decay there simply is no way for a player to compensate trajectory other then never letting the fire cone indicator get above a certain point. On the other hand, a recoil based system allows players (who are willing) to learn to work with and possibly overcome a particular weapons quirks.

One of these options adds a layer of player interaction that can lead to skill based game play ...the other is a cheap piece of crap that should die.

I'm not sure I'd be in favour of something like that. I've started playing Warframe and Firefall recently, and one of the things that I much prefer about Warframe is that the weapons have recoil. Beyond considerations of skill or what not, it just feels odd shooting something without recoil. Recoil and cone of fire bloom help to give some personality to a weapon, without them, shooting just feels a bit... bland. At least for me anyway. I wouldn't mind a little more CoF management, but that may not fit well with the Vanquish like mobility theme of the game.

I guess it's just a matter of gameplay preference, some people prefer more of a Quake or UT style shooter, but I never really fell in love with an FPS until the original Rainbow Six came along. Which was, not coincidentally I suppose, one of the first games to bring CoF and recoil to the table. 

Now, as to whether or not any particular gun should have its' recoil adjusted, that's not something I can speak to, as I haven't had any experience with many of the weapons in Warframe yet. 

I prefer controlling recoil rather than trying to predict random spread. It's much more satisfying when my bullets\arrows\shuriken\deathfrisbees\whatever go where I'm aiming rather than veer off in random directions because I have suddenly been deprived of any means to control the recoil. 

I prefer controlling recoil rather than trying to predict random spread. It's much more satisfying when my bullets\arrows\shuriken\deathfrisbees\whatever go where I'm aiming rather than veer off in random directions because I have suddenly been deprived of any means to control the recoil.

Guns in warframe have both recoil and spread but not like I hate it.

It makes controlling your bullet hit scan gun somewhat necessary and not just a pinpoint laser without drawbacks (Dera has no recoil and spread but its drawback is projectile being slower).

Recoil on burst weapons are quite silly when the player can handle the recoil from Hek or any other shotgun in the game. Hek for me fires pretty quick and it fires some pretty powerful rounds.

So when a little pistol throws you so off guard it's not all that fun to use those weapons.

I much prefer recoil to CoF(cone of fire). Why? Because once you've used a gun for a short time you can account for the recoil and counter it with *skill*.

With the CoF I just have to hope that my bullets don't randomly go whizzing off in a direction that I cant adjust for or counter through my own action and skill.

And when taking the time to line up a headshot you dont want your bullets randomly whizzing off, especially if you perfectly line up your shot. I would much rather deal with the recoil and learn how to counter it to rapidly pull of headshots with *skill* rather than luck.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I had this discussion with a friend who warframes regularly with me. We both agreed that this recoil is hell on the player, and forces you to 'chop' your mouse down to keep the reticule on target.

Compensating for recoil is part of what makes landing a headshot "difficult". Removing recoil would make the game easier and less involving to play. If anything, they should be adding recoil to all the weapons, not removing it.

I alreday suggested many times recoil in Burston's ADS mode should be halfed

Compensating for recoil is part of what makes landing a headshot "difficult". Removing recoil would make the game easier and less involving to play. If anything, they should be adding recoil to all the weapons, not removing it.

Braton Vandal has no recoil (or it's super easy to control it)

Edited by Strac_CRO

There should be some kind of recoil in the system, but it's all botched up.

Burst weapons should have little-no recoil, but have pretty hefty recoil.

Full-auto weapons should have some kind of recoil, while something like the Gorgon should be kicking up a storm at least until it's "compensated" by the wielder for sustained fire. By "compensated" I mean similar to how the Grakata works, kicks up and remains in one place after a few shots.

Cone-of-fire bloom and recoil feel similar, but they have different mechanical purposes. CoF bloom rewards burst fire discipline, while recoil rewards familiarity with a weapon. (Aside: Battlefield 2142 had three weapons with negative CoF bloom--more accuracy over time--to reward continuous fire.)

I think you're picking up on some weirdness particular to Warframe. In this game, weapons with recoil settle back down when you stop firing. You not only have to chop down as you fire, but you have to bring the reticle back up at the end of your burst. It would feel far more natural if it stayed in place after the recoil.

The high recoil is very awkward on the burst weapons. Burston you have to start at the chest so the final shot hits a target in the head. I would rather have a bit more delay and have more accuracy/less recoil. I have not tested hind yet because I have to wait to buy more slots... DE >:|

I like the recoil system in warframe. I think the higher mastery you go, there should be compensation for weapon recoil and reload depending on how much you use that particular weapon as can be seen in your profile. So the more you use the weapon the more compensation for recoil and reload. But compensation that will not reduce the recoil and reload to 0. After all, the more you use the weapon, it should feel like its part of you already.