Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] O'Dokurai: The Drum of War

Crimsonblack

With the drum of war, the living machines ran through. A beat a step and more ensue. The wild beasts who rampaged free, controlled by the drums of the Obion Three. O'Dokurai held this gift with pride, and the Orokins' enemies were trampled in a single stride.

-Damaged Orokin codex. Pieced together by an archeologist enamored by the concept of music in war. It is unknown if the rhymes are the archeologist's doing or if they are part of the original discovery.

Concept: O'Dokurai brings a massive drum of war with him to the fields of battle where he brings peace of mind and control for the tenno. Their bodies and minds work in tandem, and hesitation no longer impedes communication between the two. Warframes work better in battle and enemies tremble at the thundering cracks of the drum's guttural yell.

Design: O'Dokuro's upper torso is devoid of clothe, exposing the infested works beneath the skin and showing the white rib-cage partially obscured by the infested flesh. Its head stretches back some way and narrows near the back. Much like its torso and upper-arms, its head is also devoid of any armor, displaying, instead, the uneven boney growths beneath. Its 'teeth' are prominently displayed, however, and it appears to be 'smiling' when it walks upon the field of battle with its ō-daiko in tow. A ribbon of flesh dangles from its forehead, imitating a decayed headband. Its forearms sport thick, loose sleeves covered in infestation. However, within these loose sleeves are O'Dokurai's Bachi: Tonfas he uses as drumsticks upon his massive drum of war. He can shoot them out for immediate use then seal them back within. O'Dokurai does not fight without his Bachi.

Stretched along his back is his massive war drum: an ō-daiko. The skin covers his back, back when needed, the skin will peel off of his body along with the bones needed to form the body itself. O'Dokurai is part of the war drum, as it is a part of him. Upon the skin sits an insignia forgotten by most: That of the Obion Three. It bears the form of a waxing crescent, and attached to its upper-tip is that of many lines intersecting together into an unknown shape. Perhaps that of a flower. None understand it.

The waist and legs of the warframe are wrapped in a thick garb decayed from the years forgotten in the dark. Strands of cloth, especially the belt around the waist, flap in the wind with every movement O'Dokurai makes. The garb is so wide and possesses so many layers that one cannot view the feet of the warframe as they wrap around them even during a somersault yet readjust themselves when fully on the ground.

Idle Animation: O'Dokurai pulls out the two wooden tonfas kept within his sleeves and imitates drumming movements.

Stats: 200(550) health.

150(375) shields

150(250) energy

15 armor

Speed:125

Abilities:

Passive: Ominous Hunger: When O'Dokurai walks, the enemies hear the ominous drumming of a shime-daiko. Movement and firing rate are slowed from 2% to 10% depending on proximity.

Active: 1. Kata: O'Dokurai stomps the ground in rythm, unbalancing enemies within 2/3/4/5 meters of himself, staggering them and making them more susceptible to knockdown. The opposite happens with allies. They become more resistant to knockdown and staggering.Lasts 5/7/8.5/10 seconds. 25 energy. Can be stacked, at which point 4 stacks render allies fully immune to knockdown. Cannot be stacked further and will have a longer cooldown of 25 seconds rather than 15.

2.  Reach: O'Dokurai pulls his war drum off of his back temporarily to imbue his allies with fearlessness as he drums the skin stretched out upon his outstretched bones. Allies are imbued with a fear-inducing trait, scaring off waves of enemies with 7 meters but reducing their running speed by 10/15/20/22%. Being terrified, their guard is no longer up, additionally increasing crit chance by 5/7/9/11%. However, allies, including O'Dokurai, also receive extra damage (15%. Cannot stack if multiples of this frame are used (Or debuff can be removed altogether)). The one who fears all is a coward. The one who fears nothing is a fool.

3. Iki: O'Dokurai begins to hunger, and so readies himself for war by using his Bachi-tonfas as active weapons. He attacks enemies with them and strengthens his resolve with each kill. Attack speed of the warframe is boosted by 20/25/30/35% after 5/10/15/20 kills. Additionally, this ability will boost the effectiveness of O'Dokurai's fourth ability.

4. Taiko: O'Dokurai pulls the skin and bones off his back and back arms and forms his ō-daiko upon the ground. Additionally, the sleeves upon his arm come off to form shime-daiko flanking the sides of the ō-daiko. O'Dokurai uses his bachi to beat the drums in rhythm, attracting enemies towards him and preventing them from attacking thanks to the energy they're emitting. The longer O'Dokurai performs, the stronger the ability will become when it ends. When it stops, all enemies in a 15/20/30/35 meter radius, after 10/15/18/20 seconds pass, are thrown on their backs from the shockwave created by O'Dokurai's final strike. The enemies affected by the performance cannot fight properly as they are terrified by O'Dokurai's drums and see their attack power drop exponentially to 20/25/30/35% of their original power for 5/6/7/8 seconds (each boosted by a second+ depending on the level the third ability reached beforehand if it was used). Allies see all movement (running, fire rate, reloading, melee attack speed) boosted by 10/17/22/26 (2+ extra percent depending on third ability level), status chance boosted by 10/12/15/18% (1+% depending on 3rd ability level)

Such is the power of the war drum of O'Dokurai, that his disciplined rythm drastically improves the connection between warframe and operator.

Kankritos the Insect Plague

Acquisition Quest

Obion Three

Cohedron the Wireframe

Galloglaich the Highborn

Kasaya of the Calming Incense

Meeyas of Mists

Cantus of Hands

Macadam: Ensnaring Tar

Edited by Crimsonblack

Love this idea, great work on the passive ability, very unique and very well thought out. My only suggestions with this would be to remove the 15% dmg increase to allies with his 2nd as it seems like allies could potentially be trolled with this, especially if there is more than 1 of this frame in a lobby, and to maybe reduce some of the effects of the 4th ability as this seems immensely OP. Other than that, this is an amazing concept that I would love to see in game, great work!

34 minutes ago, (PS4)Cell_Purple said:

Love this idea, great work on the passive ability, very unique and very well thought out. My only suggestions with this would be to remove the 15% dmg increase to allies with his 2nd as it seems like allies could potentially be trolled with this, especially if there is more than 1 of this frame in a lobby, and to maybe reduce some of the effects of the 4th ability as this seems immensely OP. Other than that, this is an amazing concept that I would love to see in game, great work!

Yay! Someone who comments on my stuffs.

I put a parentheses for the damage debuff and changed the 4th ability. How does it look now? Should I reduce crit damage?

3 minutes ago, Crimsonblack said:

Yay! Someone who comments on my stuffs.

I put a parentheses for the damage debuff and changed the 4th ability. How does it look now? Should I reduce crit damage?

Tbh I would either remove the status chance buff or crit dmg buff completely, (not because it’s a bad idea) just because there are way too many buffs going on at once here, enemies are debuffed while almost every ally stat is buffed massively, just seems a tad OP. Everything else is great though.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Cell_Purple said:

Tbh I would either remove the status chance buff or crit dmg buff completely, (not because it’s a bad idea) just because there are way too many buffs going on at once here, enemies are debuffed while almost every ally stat is buffed massively, just seems a tad OP. Everything else is great though.

You've got a point. I'll remove crit bonuses and give stat a teeny boost.

If this looks good afterwards, I'll move on to the next warframe I have in mind.

2 hours ago, Crimsonblack said:

You've got a point. I'll remove crit bonuses and give stat a teeny boost.

If this looks good afterwards, I'll move on to the next warframe I have in mind.

I look forward to seeing the next one! This one turned out great, I could definitely see it in game.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the names and terminology need to be simplified. Especially the frame's name. It simply doesn't fit the naming conventions of warframe, and is quite a mouthful to say.

Ability names are also generally simple, using easy to memorize verbs or two-word phrases.

My initial reaction is to say it's just too similar to Octavia as far as using musical beats to buff allies and harm enemies. Maybe refining the idea into something that fits warframe's style a bit more closely would make that similarity more easy to ignore?

Anyway, not bad, just needs refining. Wording is really confusing.

Edit: also should move your collection of links to the end of the post. Leading with that is confusing and intimidating, especially given no header to explain what they are and whether or not they are relevant to this post. "Do I have to read all these just to understand this frame concept?" Etc

Edited by (PS4)warhero229

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-02 at 10:22 PM, (PS4)warhero229 said:

I think the names and terminology need to be simplified. Especially the frame's name. It simply doesn't fit the naming conventions of warframe, and is quite a mouthful to say.

Ability names are also generally simple, using easy to memorize verbs or two-word phrases.

My initial reaction is to say it's just too similar to Octavia as far as using musical beats to buff allies and harm enemies. Maybe refining the idea into something that fits warframe's style a bit more closely would make that similarity more easy to ignore?

Anyway, not bad, just needs refining. Wording is really confusing.

Edit: also should move your collection of links to the end of the post. Leading with that is confusing and intimidating, especially given no header to explain what they are and whether or not they are relevant to this post. "Do I have to read all these just to understand this frame concept?" Etc

I did that moving thing with subsequent articles. I'll fix that here.

As for the name, I don't think O'Dokurai is a real problem.

The Octavia thing was actually something I knew would happen, but I thought making another musically incline warframe, albeit war-march themed rather than all-purpose music themed would make him more unique.