Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Onslaught is the most frustratingly unfun missing I've ever played

2Peter3Nine

My hunt for Khora is finally done.

Today at 8:33pm I got Khora's Systems BP.

Thanks to bad mission setup, I wasn't getting my rewards while playing in public mode.
Onslaught is the only mission I can't get rewards from in public mode.
The hud just wouldn't update for me, so even if I got to zone 16 in public with a squad,
it would count me as in zone 2 still, and I wouldn't get any rewards, since it wouldn't register that I beat zone 2, or any other zone.
So I had to solo it.

I tried soloing it with many warframes, Rhino, Saryn, Nidus, Nova, Oberon, and Ember.
But the only one I could beat zone 8 with was Volt.
He's got it all, a good damage AoE ult that also CCs,
a defensive transportable shield that can knock enemies down that you run into with for his 3rd,
and a speed booster for his 2nd, which makes melee kills much easier.
The only way to heal being a high status chance melee with healing return, you'd understand why attack speed is such a major help.

To all the people who say Volt is bad, you don't know anything about Volt.
He is the best warframe right now.

~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of the maps are so open you just die when fighting any range based factions, (all but infested)
because enemies are shooting you from all sides.

Grineer and Corrupted enemies become nearly impossible by zone 6 solo, especially if the map is super open.
Infested are only a problem if parasitic eximus spawn.

Why am I soloing you ask?
Because I get NO rewards while playing multiplayer.
The game doesn't update the mission, so I stay in zone 2, even if I've moved onto zone 16.
No rewards, even with optimal connection.
There was ONE time I actually got rewards, and actually got to keep the rewards.
But every other time I actually got rewards, I lost them do to host migration, and mission disconnection.

Either fix the servers so the mission updates properly so latency heavy connections can actually get rewards.
Or make it easier so solo players can actually have fun while farming.
Or preferably both.

Zone 8 Grineer are impossible solo, unless you enter the zone at 100%.

~Warframes I've tried

Rhino, Nova Prime, and Nidus, can't kill things fast enough, and usually timeout before zone 7.

Ember Prime, Saryne Prime, Oberon Prime, Frost Prime, all can get to zone 8, but not beat zone 8.

Volt Prime, is the best frame for this, my build is,
Energy Siphon, Cunning Drift,
Streamline, Auger Reach, Intensity, Primed Continuity, Transient Auger Message,
and Rank 3 Fleeting Expertise. (-/+40%)
Volt Prime has a high amount of base energy, so he starts every zone with plenty of energy.
Enter a zone, use 4, transference Zenurik void dash energy regen, speedy riot shield mode melee mayhem all over the place.
When 4th's duration ends, turn it back on, then void-dash, speedy riot shield melee mayhem, and repeat.
If you encounter Kuva or Grineer in zone 6,7,8, find a good corner in the center of the map and spam 4+void-dash and shields.
They are just to tough to kill with most weapons.

My melee is Zaw Keewar,
Ekwana II Jai Link,
Plague Bokwin Grip,
Plague Keewar Strike.
Primed Pressure Point, Fury, Reach,
Volcanic Edge, Voltaic Strike, Virulent Scourge, Spoiled Strike,
and Healing Return.
100% status chance, with 6 different damage types, can get 60 hp per strike, multiple strikes a second thanks to Volt's 2nd.

~

Edited by General_Durandal

What are you taking to the fight that's getting you such a hard trouble? Open areas haven't proven that hard for my time in the onslaught even at high density fights.

In addition, i find the grineer to be the easiest faction to go up against in onslaught usually, they have no real counters to high efficiency techniques like the other factions.

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

1 minute ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

What are you taking to the fight that's getting you such a hard trouble? Open areas haven't proven that hard for my time in the onslaught even at high density fights.

In addition, i find the grineer to be the easiest faction to go up against in onslaught usually, they have no real counters to high efficiency techniques like the other factions.

Rank 4/5 Zenurik Energy Regen Dash to keep energy up.
Volt Prime, 109% duration, 170% efficiency, 190% range, 180% strength.
Zaw Keewar Staff built for long-range fast healing returns, for self healing.
Inaccurate multi-shot high rad status Mara Detron for some Rad CC.
Farthest I got solo is zone 12, but only because zone 7-12 where either good maps with a lot of cover, or infested enemies.
4 of those maps in a row where infested enemies.
On average though i'm loosing on zone 8,
which is the one I need to be able to beat If I want to get half of Khora's parts.

Hmm, volt doesn't seem like the most effective choice to me personally, he only has his ultimate for wide area. In addition, he's frail, not the best survivability.

I personally take my saryn prime if I plan to grind. With good range, you can spore entire maps and eat through enemies with a lash charged weapon. She also has long term survivability using the molt augment.

Try swapping out some builds and see if you come across something that works better for ya.

50 minutes ago, General_Durandal said:

Khora is the only warframe I have left to get, (other then Limbo Prime)
meaning I need to do Onslaught.
1 Khora part drops on zone 2 and 4, (the chassis, which I have)
another drops on zone 6, (I don't have this part)
and 2 other parts drop on zone 8. (i don't have either of these parts)

A lot of the maps are so open you just die when fighting any range based factions, (all but infested)
because enemies are shooting you from all sides.

Grineer and Corrupted enemies become nearly impossible by zone 6 solo, especially if the map is super open.
Infested are only a problem if parasitic eximus spawn.

Why am I soloing you ask?
Because I get NO rewards while playing multiplayer.
The game doesn't update the mission, so I stay in zone 2, even if I've moved onto zone 16.
No rewards, even with optimal connection.
There was ONE time I actually got rewards, and actually got to keep the rewards.
But every other time I actually got rewards, I lost them do to host migration, and mission disconnection.

Either fix the servers so the mission updates properly so latency heavy connections can actually get rewards.
Or make it easier so solo players can actually have fun while farming.
Or preferably both.

JUST WAIT until you want to farm the vandal weapons, you will burn out so quickly and either buy them or give up

Yeah, it's a boring and time-consuming click-fest. I got Khora about a week after release (when Onslaught was filled with bugs) and shortly after the pieces to Braton Vandal. It certainly felt I had good luck.

Ever since, I got one piece of Lato Vandal and don't really want to go back there to get the rest.

9 hours ago, Firetempest said:

I soloed normal onslaught to zone 8 consistently with a rhino and spin-to-win melee build. Don't need massive AoEs solo.

Haven't played Rhino in a long time.
Last time I played him his Rhino Hide was nerfed, enemies just shredded it, so I stopped using him.

9 hours ago, bronzebonobo said:

JUST WAIT until you want to farm the vandal weapons, you will burn out so quickly and either buy them or give up

You mean Lato and Braton Vandals, which are in the Elite version of Onslaught?
Yeah, i'll never be getting them solo.

8 hours ago, Jax_Cavalera said:

If u wanna run volt find a wall shield up n start shooting but like others said.. it is doing onslaught the hard way vs frames geared fir mostly open spaces

That's pretty much what I did.
Find the area with the least directions enemies can attack from, but is also in an area good for my ult.

What do you use to solo onslaught?

aaand again.. 
first of all: onslaughter isn't to be a frame-farming stuff.. it's an ongoing endless survival mission to check your frames, weapons or whatever else. in addition an to introduce it, you can get a frame as reward for free...  ok droptable need to be fixed, i know but you should stop crying how hard it is, and play it like it should be played 🙂

also onslaughter isn't supposed to be solo-running. so it's not suprising most people failed here.

if you can't go behind 2 and get no reward, than this is either a bug or a problem with your system. because: i know noone else have have this problem. 

so you should fix that problem, equip a good frame (volt isn't the best... try rhino, ember, saryn or so on...) and weapons, and go on. 

also: khora isn't that hard to farm... it took me twice as long to get ash.. and even more than 3 monat daily play to archive all parts of ivara. khora instead... under 3 weeks. and if you have a look what you have to do, to get mesa.... (invasion, waiting till the  mutalist nav koordinates comes up, 3 missions to get one nav... so 2 to go a total of 9 missions for just one try to get the parts you need from mutalist... 5 time,, and still 2 missiong parts (which means: 45 missions to archive navs, than 5 more to kill mutalist alad)...

so long..

Edited by (PS4)NewcastleDisease

2 hours ago, General_Durandal said:

Haven't played Rhino in a long time.
Last time I played him his Rhino Hide was nerfed, enemies just shredded it, so I stopped using him.

You still have to build for armor and strength for a skin build. But that's like ~4k more armor health on average with prime rhino. As long as you don't sit and meditate in front of a Corpus Tech, you will not notice any glancing damage if you just keep moving like all other frames. But because nothing will knock you, poison you, bleed you, you won't find yourself dead on your back because of a sneeky hook. The health buffer is nice but it's mostly about status immunities. Then roar helps you cut through grineer zones a bit easier. And charge helps kickstart a memestrike melee build.

23 hours ago, Firetempest said:

I soloed normal onslaught to zone 8 consistently with a rhino and spin-to-win melee build. Don't need massive AoEs solo.

12 hours ago, (PS4)NewcastleDisease said:

aaand again.. 
first of all: onslaughter isn't to be a frame-farming stuff.. it's an ongoing endless survival mission to check your frames, weapons or whatever else. in addition an to introduce it, you can get a frame as reward for free...  ok droptable need to be fixed, i know but you should stop crying how hard it is, and play it like it should be played 🙂

also onslaughter isn't supposed to be solo-running. so it's not suprising most people failed here.

if you can't go behind 2 and get no reward, than this is either a bug or a problem with your system. because: i know noone else have have this problem. 

so you should fix that problem, equip a good frame (volt isn't the best... try rhino, ember, saryn or so on...) and weapons, and go on. 

also: khora isn't that hard to farm... it took me twice as long to get ash.. and even more than 3 monat daily play to archive all parts of ivara. khora instead... under 3 weeks. and if you have a look what you have to do, to get mesa.... (invasion, waiting till the  mutalist nav koordinates comes up, 3 missions to get one nav... so 2 to go a total of 9 missions for just one try to get the parts you need from mutalist... 5 time,, and still 2 missiong parts (which means: 45 missions to archive navs, than 5 more to kill mutalist alad)...

so long..

10 hours ago, Firetempest said:

You still have to build for armor and strength for a skin build. But that's like ~4k more armor health on average with prime rhino. As long as you don't sit and meditate in front of a Corpus Tech, you will not notice any glancing damage if you just keep moving like all other frames. But because nothing will knock you, poison you, bleed you, you won't find yourself dead on your back because of a sneeky hook. The health buffer is nice but it's mostly about status immunities. Then roar helps you cut through grineer zones a bit easier. And charge helps kickstart a memestrike melee build.

Must have been luck, because Rhino is worse for this then Volt.
Sure, didn't die once as Rhino, but he can't kill things fast enough, ran out of time at zone 8, so Rhino can't beat wave 8.
Saryn was the first I tried, she also can't beat zone 8.

My current build for Rhino Prime is,
35% duration,
170% efficiency,
190% range,
180% strength.

So far,
Volt's farthest solo zone reached: 12 (attempts:6)(lost do to timeout:2)(losses do to death:4)
Saryn's farthest solo zone reached: 8 (attempts:4)(lost do to timeout:1)(losses do to death:3)
Rhino's farthest solo zone reached: 8 (attempts:1)(lost do to timeout:1)(losses do to death:0)

Volt is winning still.
I'll try Rhino a couple more times.

Any other warframes you think are good for soloing onslaught?

23 hours ago, Firetempest said:

13 hours ago, (PS4)NewcastleDisease said:

aaand again.. 

so long..

11 hours ago, Firetempest said:

2nd run with the same Rhino, ran out of time on Zone 7.

I will not be using Rhino anymore, he performed as well as I imagined he would, slow and steady,
and why I didn't use him for it before.

Any other frames you think can solo onslaught to wave 9 at the least?

3 hours ago, General_Durandal said:

2nd run with the same Rhino, ran out of time on Zone 7.

I will not be using Rhino anymore, he performed as well as I imagined he would, slow and steady,
and why I didn't use him for it before.

Any other frames you think can solo onslaught to wave 9 at the least?

I stand corrected. I just tried it right now and I ran out of time on 7 with melee and 6 with just guns myself. They must have tampered with the drain limit since last I played normal. Got almost 900 kills and collected the pickups when possible. Had a little poor RNG on some larger tiles so it would have been more costly to find drops and only hit 100% efficiency on zone 2 when they still gave 4 efficiency drops per tile. They could stand to keep the drop count higher on solo.

But I had done it purely with Rhino, for a week straight and got Khora and never touched normal again.

Edited by Firetempest

1 hour ago, Firetempest said:

I stand corrected. I just tried it right now and I ran out of time on 7 with melee and 6 with just guns myself. They must have tampered with the drain limit since last I played normal. Got almost 900 kills and collected the pickups when possible. Had a little poor RNG on some larger tiles so it would have been more costly to find drops and only hit 100% efficiency on zone 2 when they still gave 4 efficiency drops per tile. They could stand to keep the drop count higher on solo.

But I had done it purely with Rhino, for a week straight and got Khora and never touched normal again.

Zone 7 seems to be the cutting point. Either your frame will or won't be good enough.
Only luck will get you past zone 8 in solo mode.

Changes to Onslought I think might help.
Enemies level-up per zone 15% slower.
Energy isn't reset after entering a new zone.
Effects aren't disabled when entering a new zone.
Always 4 efficiency pickups per zone.
Or Efficiency pickups give increasing amounts based on the amount.
(4 = 20 per pickup, 3 = 30 per pickup, 2 = 40 per pickup, 1 = 50 on pickup)

If you think that would make it too easy, remember you can't use gear items. No pods, no nothing.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb General_Durandal:

Must have been luck, because Rhino is worse for this then Volt.
Sure, didn't die once as Rhino, but he can't kill things fast enough, ran out of time at zone 8, so Rhino can't beat wave 8.
Saryn was the first I tried, she also can't beat zone 8.

My current build for Rhino Prime is,
35% duration,
170% efficiency,
190% range,
180% strength.

So far,
Volt's farthest solo zone reached: 12 (attempts:6)(lost do to timeout:2)(losses do to death:4)
Saryn's farthest solo zone reached: 8 (attempts:4)(lost do to timeout:1)(losses do to death:3)
Rhino's farthest solo zone reached: 8 (attempts:1)(lost do to timeout:1)(losses do to death:0)

Volt is winning still.
I'll try Rhino a couple more times.

Any other warframes you think are good for soloing onslaught?

hm...

with my Ember: 11

with my Saryn: 14

maybe depends heavily on playstyle and modding...?

and in teamplay most players leave after 8 (because they farming khora) so it's not need to go behind 8 if you want khora..  it's just needed for try out for what your rame is capatable of 🙂

Edited by (PS4)NewcastleDisease

Out of curiosity, which weapons are you using on your rhino? I was able to scrape wave 10 of ESO with a Bleed-focused slidespam build, using just 130% strength on my rhino. I'm sure there are numerous other specialized builds that could have taken it much further with ease.

20 hours ago, General_Durandal said:

That's pretty much what I did.
Find the area with the least directions enemies can attack from, but is also in an area good for my ult.

What do you use to solo onslaught?

Octavia, Ember, Rhino, Saryn, Loki, Nova, Nidus, haven't used frost but i'm sure he can too, same with excal umbra

Frames that I wouldn't really go with solo are Trin, Volt, Wukong, Valkyr, Zephyr, Banshee, Mirage.. is a maybe, Nyx.. is a maybe, Limbo.. is a maybe (have  done it but it's not as fast as others), Hydroid range got nerfed so he's no longer suitable, haro, vauban  and khora are in similar boat to Limbo for the most part.. can be done but not as efficient as the ones i'd recommend and do often use. oh and that fast running one that i never use that leaves a trail of fire behind them.. forget the name.. have it but don't use it. u know the one tho.

29 minutes ago, Jax_Cavalera said:

Octavia, Ember, Rhino, Saryn, Loki, Nova, Nidus, haven't used frost but i'm sure he can too, same with excal umbra

Frames that I wouldn't really go with solo are Trin, Volt, Wukong, Valkyr, Zephyr, Banshee, Mirage.. is a maybe, Nyx.. is a maybe, Limbo.. is a maybe (have  done it but it's not as fast as others), Hydroid range got nerfed so he's no longer suitable, haro, vauban  and khora are in similar boat to Limbo for the most part.. can be done but not as efficient as the ones i'd recommend and do often use. oh and that fast running one that i never use that leaves a trail of fire behind them.. forget the name.. have it but don't use it. u know the one tho.

Already tried Ember, Rhino and Saryn, none have past wave 8. With Volt I got to zone 12. (1 time, but's that's more then 0 times to zone 9)
Rhino times-out on wave 7, can't kill things fast enough.
Saryn and Ember are to squishy to survive zone 7 well. First death is usually in zone 6, then 2 in 7, and the last in 8.

Octavia is not a tank, or glass-cannon, how exactly is she going to solo onslaught past wave 8?

Does Stealth damage apply to all melee attacks, or just "press E to sneak attack" attacks?

Nova is a maybe.

Nidus is also a maybe.

Pretty-much everyone is a maybe.

2 hours ago, (PS4)NewcastleDisease said:

hm...

with my Ember: 11

with my Saryn: 14

maybe depends heavily on playstyle and modding...?

and in teamplay most players leave after 8 (because they farming khora) so it's not need to go behind 8 if you want khora..  it's just needed for try out for what your rame is capatable of 🙂

So far only Volt get's me to zone 9.

Saryn, Ember, and Rhino, have been used, and they haven't gotten past zone 8.
Perhaps i'll give Saryn another shot, but thistime just build for 4 spam, (boring) instead of spore spam.