Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Map exploration and gear wheel addition

Cuchullin

On missions when you load in first you have a map and navigation points to follow. While this is useful for getting the job done it is never really explained how you got that information in the first place. Sure scans could be taken of the ship. I think that there could be more of a challenge in how to get the information where the player would have to hack a console that either gives the layout of the ship the location of the target or both before it shows on the map. That way it allows players to play blind or find the information by their own choice rather then being lead directly to the objective and rushing in and out.

This would give more incentive to explore maps and find kuva, fragments and loot rooms along the way but think of all the alerts that would be ignored because of 'ok' rewards like 100 endo that are worth playing for but not enough to spend 10-15 minutes running around in search of the objective. 

This suggestion would benefit new players I guess but not many others.

True if it was only a complete blackout of information until mission complete. I'm talking more along the lines of find a console, hack it then get the nav points and greater map details. It would come down to a choice of whether you want to use the map or not. As for rewards having the map, bearing in mind that it's only a suggestion, endo for using maps and various mod types for not using them seems reasonable.

At the end of the day it would come down to whether you want to speed run or explore.

Why do people keep wanting to make a simple game more 'complicated', warframe isn't some 'explore the map slowly' type game....there is nothing wrong with the current system (other than some wonky routing) and it's pretty obvious how we get the maps when you think about it, we come in a space ship which has sensors and scans the ship/location before we launch or during the mission, ordis then guides us on our route.  Now before you say how do you know it has sensors, well if we can stick 'radar' mods on our warframe and companions then the tech will be there on ships too.

First off I don't think warframe is a simple game in how much there is to process both in the game itself and as a player. Secondly while I agree there is nothing wrong with the current system and it is true there is the sensors on warframes and ships it's also true there are jamming systems that can mess with that. And as for complication you do know it's described as ninjas is space right? It's no-ones fault the majority of people rush through the game like a hyperactive little kid on a sugar rush I'm as guilty of it as the next person. My suggestion was merely a means of slowing things down and taking your time as an optional extra not a requirement. If you prefer speed runs more power to you and there are ways to do this too.

6 hours ago, Cuchullin said:

First off I don't think warframe is a simple game in how much there is to process both in the game itself and as a player.

I do, it's anything but complicated when you think about it in the grand scheme of games....if you can't process things in the game easily that's not down to the game, it's been made a LOT simpler since when I started and I never had any issues figuring stuff out without instructions like you get now.

You do realise ninja's moved fast right, they were 'information gatherers' not just people that 'moved in the shadows' meaning they had to get the information back to their 'base' as fast as possible.  Now before you even try and jump on it.. .that does not mean they needed to find out the route to their location via 'hacking a console for a map' as that could already be available to them from previous missions or another means such as an 'informant' etc.

The majority also feel that the game is about doing things as fast and efficiently as possible so in essence there is no reason to slow the game down, if you want to do slow runs you can do it solo (or via recruited groups) and turn off your hud, that way you should have no pointer or anything else.

Fair point I will accept we're coming at this from different angles. I was merely putting forward an extension to play styles given that this is a co-operative game let one play style cater to speed and efficiency and another to the slower play style. From what I understand, and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but I was not suggesting a complete revamp of the system to focus one over the other merely using both as an option in game for personal choice.

On 2018-08-05 at 4:40 AM, Cuchullin said:

I think that there could be more of a challenge in how to get the information where the player would have to hack a console that either gives the layout of the ship the location of the target or both before it shows on the map. That way it allows players to play blind or find the information by their own choice rather then being lead directly to the objective and rushing in and out.

Don't think this would be a good idea at all.
Especially for new players.
Good luck going to new players and saying "Oh you know that low level asteroid sabotage mission?  You're going to be wandering around blind for 15-30 minutes trying to find the console just so you can find the 4 objectives!  Good luck!"  Or even worse good luck doing that on a capture mission where new players would have zero idea of what the target even looks like or how to find the right console....

We had a mode with no map for nightmare missions and that nightmare mission was scrapped really quickly because players didn't find it fun to have to stumble around blind for 15-20 minutes in some of the tilesets going "I hope I didn't miss the objective on the way here...."  No one was enjoying it and it was pretty much unanimous in the ask that it be removed, and one of the few rare things that the forum playerbase actually agreed on.

19 minutes ago, TinFoilMkIV said:

That could be an interesting special condition, but I wouldn't really want it as a standard feature.

Fair point. It could work better on special missions like gift of the lotus missions which come out from time to time where if you do it this way you get a bonus item for the added challenge.