Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Being Forced To Switch Weapons And Frames To Rank Up Is Not Fun.

Aetrion

So, I got to 30 on my favorite frame and weapons, and realized that in order to get the weapons I'd like and keep advancing I'd have to start leveling other frames and weapons. I find that to be really annoying. If someone wants to level 10 frames, sure, more power to them, but why can't I advance without switching to stuff I have no interest in? Why should I spend all this time getting things to level 30 if I get punished for actually using them afterwards?

Thats the fun of the game.... seriously though, the joy you get from finally buying that gorgon and then the satisfaction of levelling it to 30? Then of course the anguish of selling it for more space....

But thats what makes the game the way it is, anyway if you don't like the weapon you switch to I would suggest NOT switching to it and buying a different weapon until you get to that point where you can actually tolerate levelling it.

Also I thought it was a blast 30'ing every frame (except for saryn and frost, both building as we speak) It gives you a sense of the game and makes you feel like much less of a noob that you were when you first started and closer to that point you can call yourself a Tenno. ;)

Edited by Tri2killme

Honestly, when I was rank 2-3, I was only using the weapons and frames I wanted was okay with that, but after becoming a founder I started keeping my weapons around and started to feel, well, proud of my growing collection.  When the clan weapons came out, I started grinding mastery in an attempt to get them quickly and while I did hit a point where I felt like it was meaningless, after getting the Dera, that completely changed.  Many of my favorite guns are from the clan labs, so I'd say it's worth it.  You just kinda got to get there first.  Once you do, you'll see it was worth the effort.  Or at least I did.

I know a few people who just stay are MR2 and are at 200 hours of playtime now, kinda shows how the current Mastery system still needs work imo. It really shouldn't FORCE you to use weps that you don't enjoy or can't stand using for 4-7 or so hours with no Affinity booster and get em to Rank 30 only to figure out you still have to do that 13 more times to rank again. It's honestly not fun and adds unto the already grind heavy aspect of this game. Yeah I understand, Master Every Wep for Greatest power blah blah blah, stfu it's boring and we know it. I've yet to see a single person have fun ranking the Ignis to 30 and the same goes with something like Spectra, it's honestly not fun and should be changed or I'm not gonna see much for the future of this game if they plan to introduce more weps that are MR Blocked. Not everyone likes to be forced to use unfamiliar weps after using 1 or 2 guns for weeks, it's a play style change and some people hate that, others may not but you kinda gotta pay attention to the player base as a whole and not the people who actually like maxing everything. I've seen plenty of threads focused towards the current MR system and I agree with the majority of them.

ok, then stay rank 4 and miss these sweet lab weapons

He can still use the Dera though, which is a rank 4 clan tech weapon ( and a very good one too ).

I don't like how your forced to use other frames and weapons either to reach a certain rank so you can use a weapon you want. For me it's the Supra, but I have to reach Rank 7 to use it and 3 of my 4 frames are maxed: Ash, Nova, and Excaliber, I don't really like Frost Prime so I gave up on him. My Kunai, Ogris, Paris, Afuris, Dera, Ignis, Reaper Prime, Ether Longsword, Hind, and Twin Gremlins are all maxed also.

Those are the only weapons and frames I like to use, but I'm just under half way through Rank 6 so I have no choice but to use other weapons I have no interest in and Frost Prime to reach Rnak 7 so I can use the Supra, then I will stop caring about Mastery. The Supra is my goal.

Edited by __Kanade__

I'm of a similar mind. I'm don't mind working my way through all the Frames, but seriously, there are a ton of weapons. Most players will find a handful of weapons that work for them, and all the rest will feel like a punishment, 'why do i *have* to level this weapon that doesn't work for me at all'.

I think *part* of the solution would be to add mastery gains for Forma'd weapons and Frames. Repolarizing gear and releveling it to a point that it works better for you is still a from of character advancment, just one we don't get credit for. If you really like a weapon and are willing to Forma and relevel it four times, why *shouldn't* you get Mastery for it? It's like we're being penalized for making ourselves the best Ember we can be, or working to make the best Boltor we can make.

Honestly, when I was rank 2-3, I was only using the weapons and frames I wanted was okay with that, but after becoming a founder I started keeping my weapons around and started to feel, well, proud of my growing collection.  When the clan weapons came out, I started grinding mastery in an attempt to get them quickly and while I did hit a point where I felt like it was meaningless, after getting the Dera, that completely changed.  Many of my favorite guns are from the clan labs, so I'd say it's worth it.  You just kinda got to get there first.  Once you do, you'll see it was worth the effort.  Or at least I did.

That's kind of beside the actual problem...

If you like having a big gun collection that's your thing, but being forced to level guns for mastery is simply not fun at all. It's sort of like having to play a mage in an RPG to unlock the rogue class you actually want to play as.

its endgame content, agaisnt endgame enemies, only thing to do is to deal with it

Unfortunately, this is the mentality of "gamers." It's really sad when you think about it, too.

Want to blow your mind? Play a game from 10+ years ago. Play a game before such a thing as "end game" even existed.

Trust me, you can have an amazing game without this mystical, magical "end game" that people keep talking about.

If you like having a big gun collection that's your thing, but being forced to level guns for mastery is simply not fun at all. It's sort of like having to play a mage in an RPG to unlock the rogue class you actually want to play as.

It's also like having to level up that mage before you get their mega-nuke spell.  Which, in nearly all cases, you actually have to do.

The whole argument is basically ridiculous.  "I want X, but I have to do Y to get X, but I don't want to". 

Course, we can apply that everywhere, can't we?

"I want prime weapons, but void missions aren't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want maxed serration, but grinding out cores isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want level 30 weapons, but using level 1 weapons isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want end of mission rewards, but doing missions isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

It's a ridiculous line that ultimately removes the *entire game*.

Now, lets get down to brass tacks and drop all pretenses, and just admit this is "I want those uber-powerful clan weapons, but I don't want to have to actually work to acquire them the way everybody else had to, but DE should just changes the rules so I get what I want without earning it cause I'm too good to do that!" 

It's also like having to level up that mage before you get their mega-nuke spell.  Which, in nearly all cases, you actually have to do.

The whole argument is basically ridiculous.  "I want X, but I have to do Y to get X, but I don't want to". 

"I want prime weapons, but void missions aren't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want maxed serration, but grinding out cores isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want level 30 weapons, but using level 1 weapons isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

"I want end of mission rewards, but doing missions isn't fun for me, why do I have to do them?"

Now, lets get down to brass tacks and drop all pretenses, and just admit this is "I want those uber-powerful clan weapons, but I don't want to have to actually work to acquire them the way everybody else had to, but DE should just changes the rules so I get what I want without earning it cause I'm too good to do that!" 

this describes this entire post

That's your opinion, OP.

Me, I enjoy taking lower level frames back to Mercury, Venus, etc where I can use other weapons other than Acrid and actually get kills without taking entire magazines to kill 1 enemy. Where I can do a Grineer level with no stinking roller balls constantly knocking me around, where I can fight Corpus and not have a bunch of stupid Fusion Moas all over me...

If you don't want to broaden your weapon horizon, then don't.  All mastery does is unlock some weapons.  If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it.  It's not going anywhere.

I have always enjoyed sniper rifles, so I started the game with the Snipetron, then went to the Vulkar, got both of those to 30, and recently found that my clan had unlocked a new weapon, the Lanka. I spent a whole day getting the materials for it together, only to then realize I wouldn't be able to use it without first maxing at least two or three more warframes and at least a dozen other weapons that I have no interest in. That's just stupid. I spent so much time as a sniper, why the heck does the game think forcing me to use everything else is required for me to be allowed to build a bigger sniper rifle?

That's your opinion, OP.

Me, I enjoy taking lower level frames back to Mercury, Venus, etc where I can use other weapons other than Acrid and actually get kills without taking entire magazines to kill 1 enemy. Where I can do a Grineer level with no stinking roller balls constantly knocking me around, where I can fight Corpus and not have a bunch of stupid Fusion Moas all over me...

So why can't I go back when I forma the weapons and frames I like instead of having to do it with ones I'm indifferent to?

Edited by Aetrion

So why can't I go back when I forma the weapons and frames I like instead of having to do it with ones I'm indifferent to?

Mastery is a measure of how many weapons and frames you've become experienced with.

That's what Mastery Rank is all about -- a singular Tenno becoming an expert at many DIFFERENT fighting techniques, which includes DIFFERENT weapons and Warframes.

You do not become an expert at  DIFFERENT weapons by leveling the same weapon repeatedly over and over and over again, do you?

awesome. Couldn't have put it better myself mate.

Mastery is a measure of how many weapons and frames you've become experienced with.

That's what Mastery Rank is all about -- a singular Tenno becoming an expert at many DIFFERENT fighting techniques, which includes DIFFERENT weapons and Warframes.

You do not become an expert at  DIFFERENT weapons by leveling the same weapon repeatedly over and over and over again, do you?

Why can't I be a grand master of just one weapon?

I'm not normally one for collecting.  For some reason I enjoy in Warframe and I didn't even realize I did until after I'd already gotten mastery 6 or so.  Honestly, the point of that post was that after getting those upper weapons, you'll find it worthwhile.

Unfortunately, this is the mentality of "gamers." It's really sad when you think about it, too.

Want to blow your mind? Play a game from 10+ years ago. Play a game before such a thing as "end game" even existed.

Trust me, you can have an amazing game without this mystical, magical "end game" that people keep talking about.

This mentality stems from the large influx of online RPG games were the bulk of the enjoyable content was placed at the end, rather than being evenly distributed along the journey from level 1 grunt, to level 100 savior. Warframe has a similar issue were not all weapons and frames feel interesting or fun enough to level taking you from rank 1 to rank 7+. During my time in the game I sat at rank 4 until I got into a clan, and only then ground out mastery.

While you can't make everything enjoyable to everyone, part of the issue that hopefully will change with armor reworks is the rank 2-6 doldrums were all weapons feel worthless due to not being effective, even if you enjoy using the weapon.