The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vitality Vs. Steel Fiber

Lyceptyn

I know, there have been threads in the past on this. However, it's been very mixed opinions. On rhino, (with max redirection) would I benefit more from having a max vitality with it or a max steel fiber? Thanks.

If you're are going to use Steel Fiber use Vitality. 
If you are going to use Vitality, use Steel Fiber. 

This applies to Rhino, Saryn, Valkyr, Rhino, and Ash. 

Now on to your question, directly, and personally. 

I would not use either. Unless using both. There are better mods to use besides those two with a Maxed Redirection on Rhino. 

EDIT: Also, I use Quick Thinking/Rage with my Armor/Health builds. It's a VERY nice setup. 

Exactly that vvvvvvvvvv

(Look at the post below)

Edited by autrix02

Use both on high armor frames for maximum HP usage know as EHP With Valkyr this combo becomes the basis of her tankiness and immortality

Steel Fiber for high armor, Vitaility for high health, Rage  for energy when health is damage, Quick Thinking for when health is low with hugh energy, Energy Siphon for constant energy restore, Life Strike to restore health while channeling

On Rhino I wouldn't bother with either and go for Redirection and Vigor.  The 120 HP from Vigor should also give you enough HP to survive the little health damage you'll be taking.  If you plan on using Rejuvenation/Life Strike to restore HP then combining Steel Fiber with Vitality is your best bet.

considering multiple factors, such as ice level missions and NM mission mutators

steel fiber is more resilient to outside factors and largely reduces incoming dmg more effectively than just stacking more vitality

that said, steel fiber is really ONLY useful on the high armor frames and even then its debatable, largely based on playstyle

IMHO and personal experience anything less than a max steel fiber mod is worse than vitality at a lower rank, thusly i only use steel fiber on rhino/valkyr/etc and then only if i can afford a max steel fiber in the slot, otherwise i go with shields/hps

i do like however that a max steel fiber helps more IMHO on no-shield maps than just having more vitality (harder to refill a larger vitality as the mission goes on)

fwiw

Steel Fiber for high armor, Vitaility for high health, Rage  for energy when health is damage, Quick Thinking for when health is low with hugh energy, Energy Siphon for constant energy restore, Life Strike to restore health while channeling

You really need alot of mods just to stay alive and do your job. Last time i checked there was 6 (10) available slots. You must have more

of them. I usually need 1, maximum 2 to do the same. But each his one...

I know, there have been threads in the past on this. However, it's been very mixed opinions. On rhino, (with max redirection) would I benefit more from having a max vitality with it or a max steel fiber? Thanks.

Steel Fiber has always been underestimated... I can go months without dying, I see other Tenno on their backs pretty much every mission. It aint all about offense

You really need alot of mods just to stay alive and do your job. Last time i checked there was 6 (10) available slots. You must have more

of them. I usually need 1, maximum 2 to do the same. But each his one...

it's what I use on Val when doing survival, makes it more fun

Edited by kscott190

Steel Fiber has always been underestimated... I can go months without dying, I see other Tenno on their backs pretty much every mission. It aint all about offense

I can say the same of me, but I don't use Steel Fiber on any Frame (not even Frost, not worth the few Snow Globe HP). Now? :p

I can say the same of me, but I don't use Steel Fiber on any Frame (not even Frost, not worth the few Snow Globe HP). Now? :p

when you stop fighting the Infested who cant fight back and try on some high level Grineer or even dem Corpus boys let me know

I did the calculation a while back, and steel fiber alone was explicitly worse than vitality alone in terms of effective hp per mod point in all cases. BUT this was done before valkyr war released. They may have changed since then. On valkyr its pretty obvious SF is going to to a substantial amount more compared to other frames.

That said, the more armor you have, the more each health orb is worth, and the more effective HP/second you get from rejuvination.

You need a LOT of armor if you want to mitigate considerable amounts if damage. I'd recommend Vitality, use steel fiber if you REALLY want to mitigate some damage. Steel fiber works better on frames with very high armor, but the only frame with higher armor than Rhino and by extension Frost is Valkyr (600 compared to Rhino's 190) so it's a matter of what you prefer.

when you stop fighting the Infested who cant fight back and try on some high level Grineer or even dem Corpus boys let me know

Uhhh, high level Grineer or Corpus, scary. Lol.

It's mainly how you act and react, and how you use your skills - what keeps you alive. Not a S#&$ty Steel Fiber mod.

Some of it just comes down to what you are running. I usually use max redirection and maybe vitality normally. But when I run nightmare mode, I'll use vitality, steel fiber, and maybe vigor, because 9 times out of 10 in nightmare mode, it's 0 shields.

The effective health gained from Armor is derived from your total health with every bonus applied (Vitality and Vigor). Thus, the higher your base health and equipped vitality/vigor mods, the more effective health you'll gain from increasing Armor. Also, the higher the base armor of a Warframe, the farther you can push it.

Valkyr stands as the highest beneficiary from high Armor as a whole (with a whopping 600 base armor); as demonstrated in the wiki page frames with high armor gains a lot of effective health if maxed vitality and steel fiber is used :

627px-WarframeEffHealthCompare.png

It would almost be useful to have a Warframe's current effective health displayed in the Armory, something like "450(580) Health".

Don't know if there will ever be Shield strengthening mods (which would grant a fixed amount of armor to shields, not scaled off the Warframe's own armor); if so, they could be likewise displayed in the Armory

Edited by Wiegraf