Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weighing In On The Gender Debate

FennecFox

I believe that players should be able to choose the gender of their warframe (frame) because whilst I agree that the gender of the frame itself should not be an issue to the player I believe that gender does matter to their design and aesthetic identity, let me explain.

I can understand that a male player using a female frame or a female player using a male frame shouldn’t really matter to the player (as long as the player is comfortable with their own gender identity), the real issue in my mind is that the female frames are aesthetically more slender, fragile, for the most part have figure-hugging suits and play caster and support type roles whilst the male frames range from figure-hugging to bulky as well as armoured, clothed and they perform a myriad of roles.

Why can’t Rhino be a massive matron sheframe and why can’t Trinity be a bad-&#! healing manframe with a skirt?

I can understand the sentiment that gender shouldn’t be an issue to players of Warframe and they should be fine with playing a gender that does not mirror their own gender however that same sentiment does not apply to the design of the warframes, their design continues to reflect gender based stereotypes.

Meanwhile, the gender debate continues here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/68579-warframe-gender-equality/

Fennec Fox

Sure you're right that the character design reinforce gender sterotypes. But I'd rather see that the devs did something about that. Customizable gender is just in the way of streamlined gameplay.

I'd prefer is the devs just got their asses out of the box.

Sure you're right that the character design reinforce gender sterotypes. But I'd rather see that the devs did something about that. Customizable gender is just in the way of streamlined gameplay.

I'd prefer is the devs just got their asses out of the box.

tempted to use that Jackie chance meme again... are you for it, or against it? Seriously people if you going to talk about both sides say your doing so, if your going to side with something say your doing that... Gah! so much lost in these translations...

My side on this whole matter is DE focusing on what needs to be done. The gender thing is a non-issues who knows by update 28 they may have skins of an opposite gender you can get via Plat which is enticing to those who REALLY want to be the opposite gender and I can see as a great way to make some money off people REALLY wanting that opposite gender otherwise it is absolutely not needed. There are more important things in game that need to be taken care of.

tempted to use that Jackie chance meme again... are you for it, or against it? Seriously people if you going to talk about both sides say your doing so, if your going to side with something say your doing that... Gah! so much lost in these translations...

My side on this whole matter is DE focusing on what needs to be done. The gender thing is a non-issues who knows by update 28 they may have skins of an opposite gender you can get via Plat which is enticing to those who REALLY want to be the opposite gender and I can see as a great way to make some money off people REALLY wanting that opposite gender otherwise it is absolutely not needed. There are more important things in game that need to be taken care of.

Nah, mate. You better read that again. Nothing in that post points at me wanting customizable gender for the warframes. I'm talking about the basic design. Designing characters based on tired gender sterotypes is.. frickin' boring actully. I want the devs to mix it up, not just throw the ball to the players. It's not a 'non-issue' since it's about boring character design. That's why I want the devs to get their asses out of the box (you know 'think outsie the box').

I think it's fine as it is, but if they added a genderswap feature? Then sweet, we can genderswap!

IMHO it's pretty much cosmetic, third-person games focus more on playing the character you see rather than being the character like in FPSes.

Why don't we just say that warframes are transgender in the lore. 

That way no one can ask for a female rhino or a male ember.

Because tenno are like slugs.

Or seahorses.

I think this will solve all our problems.

dpBGiuv.jpg

Why don't we just say that warframes are transgender in the lore. 

That way no one can ask for a female rhino or a male ember.

Because tenno are like slugs.

Or seahorses.

I think this will solve all our problems.

I'd love that. Focus on bodytypes and animations.

So if you are going to link another thread anyway, why did you start a new topic?

To draw more attention to the subject, you mad?

Read that... and this is my only response... jackie-chan-meme-wtf-113.jpg

really... You said should, then say shouldn't, then say should... you feel female fits, then you say we should be able to change... wtf make up your mind!

It appears as though I need to clarify. 

understand both sides of the argument. (But I don't agree with them both)

On one hand: The gender of the warframe you play should not matter.

On the other: You should be able to change your warframe because the attributes of certain warframes should be expressed in both genders (e.g. a female could play the role of a Rhino and a male could play the role of a trinity)

The female warframes appear to fall within stereotypes (skin-tight clothing, fragile, sexy, etc...) and play a narrow range of roles.

Therefore: I happen to stand on the latter side of the argument because, whilst it shouldn't matter what gender your warframe is the fact of the matter is that the female warframes fall within stereotypes and it would be nice if players had the choice.

They already said it would take a lot of resources just for the gender swap. As a customer, I'd rather have them use those resources to more important things. 

True, there are more perhaps better uses of dev's time but I am putting forward an argument as to why gender swaps should be included, not how high they should be on the dev's list.

To this topic:

I love people who keep trying to bring this type of conversation up! I do agree with gender options! However...

DE already stated they would need more resources to make them. To translate this. They need more designers to do this. Why not the current ones? Their work load is heavy as it is. They cannot work on them and design content for a quickly growing game at the same time. Even if we do eventually win we may not see these changes for months. This doesn't happen instantly.

Also I somewhat agree and disagree with what they said before. The whole Ember/Blase thing. They rather work their way to make a whole new frame in the same theme to make these gender changes. The only way I see this way working is if Ember and this so called Blaze are allowed to share abilities with eachother. Creating not only new skills Ember can use, but introduce more content.

Hope that puts you all in a good mindset.

Sincerely

~BBYiffo

P.S. I'm in the mood for Red Velvet donuts.

Gotta love all the people sidestepping the issue of gender representation by saying "lul DE said too many resources".

@OP I agree with you. I'm till waiting on my female version of Frost and Rhino to be honest (I don't mean an actual female version, I mean an equivalent frame that can take a beating, or looks like it can, mods make armour values obsolete).

To this topic:

I love people who keep trying to bring this type of conversation up! I do agree with gender options! However...

DE already stated they would need more resources to make them. To translate this. They need more designers to do this. Why not the current ones? Their work load is heavy as it is. They cannot work on them and design content for a quickly growing game at the same time. Even if we do eventually win we may not see these changes for months. This doesn't happen instantly.

Also I somewhat agree and disagree with what they said before. The whole Ember/Blase thing. They rather work their way to make a whole new frame in the same theme to make these gender changes. The only way I see this way working is if Ember and this so called Blaze are allowed to share abilities with eachother. Creating not only new skills Ember can use, but introduce more content.

Hope that puts you all in a good mindset.

Sincerely

~BBYiffo

P.S. I'm in the mood for Red Velvet donuts.

I agree that there are other things that devs should be working on however.

Exhibit A:

https://warframe.com/media/render/warframe-excalibur-wallpaper

Notice the female Excal in the background?

Exhibit B:

Mynki says that gender options for each warframe had been developed from the start

Conclusion:

Without wanting to step on too many toes, I think that the issue is just as much an issue of support as it is of resources. If there was enough support for it then they would make is happen, hence this post/thread.

P.S. Anyone know where I can find a good source on Mastery Ranks? I see that some of you have ranks that sound way higher than my own and I wonder just how much higher you are and when I never see you in-game.

Bad move, OP. You should've posted in the open thread. Creating a new one is poor form.

You evidently do not understand the point of this thread then. It's about gender representation. It's not about having the same number of male and female 'frames, which is what every other thread on the topic seems to be about.

this is a joke thread yeah? I mean seriously, its a game and "boys"  (heaven help me but you couldn't call them men) cant make or play a character that is female orientated based? really people its a game, where are the girls who play? they are here and play, they don't whine and say boo hoo . you guys are so gender scared I lmfao. whimps

Edited by Deek

I agree that there are other things that devs should be working on however.

Exhibit A:

https://warframe.com/media/render/warframe-excalibur-wallpaper

Notice the female Excal in the background?

Exhibit B:

Mynki says that gender options for each warframe had been developed from the start

Conclusion:

Without wanting to step on too many toes, I think that the issue is just as much an issue of support as it is of resources. If there was enough support for it then they would make is happen, hence this post/thread.

P.S. Anyone know where I can find a good source on Mastery Ranks? I see that some of you have ranks that sound way higher than my own and I wonder just how much higher you are and when I never see you in-game.

The Mohawk one? thats Nyx my dear.

this is a joke thread yeah? I mean seriously, its a game and "boys"  (heaven help me but you couldn't call them men) cant make or play a character that is female orientated based? really people its a game, where are the girls who play? they are here and play, they don't whine and say boo hoo . you guys are so gender scared I lmfao. whimps

If you think that the misrepresentation of gender as stereotypes is a joke then maybe you're the one who needs to grow up, read the original post. I'm trying not to step on Dev's toes here, I'm just calling it the way I see it.

The Mohawk one? thats Nyx my dear.

No my dear, the one in the back left corner.

I'm just waiting to find something on this game's lore to make a decission about warframes gender:

Do each Tenno always use the same Warframe armor?

I mean, if I (the player) play as a particular Tenno that can switch armor or if I control different Tennos each one with his/her particular armor and powers. I'd prefer the first idea, and in that case I'd prefer a generical gender opcion (choose yor gender first and then have all your frames male/female as you chose), but if game's lore says the second option is the correct one, I'll shut up.

Anyone can confirm if this is in the lore?