Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De Would It Be Possible In This Game? Rotating Gravity

Deidaku

To have a tileset with changing  gravity?

1 moment it would be "normal" then it would be upside down , revealing other paths , and secret places,  like in this small game  called gridlock

http://underdog.be/games/gridlocked/index.asp

because I see a big opportuity for parkour here

A half destroyed grineer space station would be awesome + the rotations would be caused by huge debris hitting the facility randomly , changing the gravity once or twice per game

Edited by Deidaku

Well, we have moving parts. Worst comes to worst, they pull an inception on us and rotate the level without changing gravity at all.

that would be awesome but wouldn't it cause lag having the whole map rotate upside down (with some visual effects like asteroid colliison or something)

that would be awesome but wouldn't it cause lag having the whole map rotate upside down (with some visual effects like asteroid colliison or something)

Not sure what you mean about the asteroids.

So far as lag, well, not really. The way the game loads sectionally it seems like it'd be relatively easy.

It's also entirely possible they could have specific areas for gravity alterations. By virtue of it being their proprietary engine, I can't really tell you the extent of what is and is not possible with the physics rules. That's why I even mention the inception thing to begin with--I'm not sure if the engine is designed to allow for it as-is. Also, technically, I imagine you'd want to have your character remain oriented as if they're walking along the ground, although  you'd be aware of the fact they aren't. How the camera interplays with gravity is probably the most important.

Not sure what you mean about the asteroids.

So far as lag, well, not really. The way the game loads sectionally it seems like it'd be relatively easy.

It's also entirely possible they could have specific areas for gravity alterations. By virtue of it being their proprietary engine, I can't really tell you the extent of what is and is not possible with the physics rules. That's why I even mention the inception thing to begin with--I'm not sure if the engine is designed to allow for it as-is. Also, technically, I imagine you'd want to have your character remain oriented as if they're walking along the ground, although  you'd be aware of the fact they aren't. How the camera interplays with gravity is probably the most important.

So maybe something like the mass effect outer space walking segment?

Normally it should be possible with every game developed with advanced physics engines and as far as we know Evolution Engine builds upon PhysX... so it should be perfectly capable of such things.

I remember the game "Prey" made by 3D Realms... They used a heavily modified id Tech 4 aka Doom 3 Engine to do it. They had some nice levels with changing gravity by pushing buttons and/or had different gravity directions depending in which room you where... so you were constantly flipping between walls/ceilings and the floor.

If I remember right they also had parts where you had something like metallic boots so you could walk up special magnetized walkways and stuff. Pretty funny experience.

The game had some crazy stuff going on with Portals and Gravity shifting... all mixed together. Back then I hoped that Epic Games would adapt some parts for UT3 because it would have added a complete new gameplay experience where you would have to pay much more attention to ceilings/walls but well... they didn't.

Edited by MeduSalem

We have experimented with effects like this during run time however we are at an early stage and development focus is not on this right now. We do however go a little more crazy and do away with conventional angles in the upcoming full Infested set, so that's something. ;)

We have experimented with effects like this during run time however we are at an early stage and development focus is not on this right now. We do however go a little more crazy and do away with conventional angles in the upcoming full Infested set, so that's something. ;)

Yeah I noticed that during the breedings grounds even that was really cool!

It gave a sense of "oh sh*t this place is going down, gotta go fast"

I just wish there would be something beside of physx-guided sparkles that could interact with Physx.

Maybe Flames as a persistent Particle Turbulence, Debris on Destroyed ships.

switchable gravity could be useful for parkour maneuvers ... Or a Hazzard when entering a battered ship (Like Cryogenic Leaks, Fire etc)

It would be fairly difficult to keep one's orientation in the world if there was a bunch of alternate gravity sequences in a row. The Infested tileset preview we got with Breeding Grounds was already quite difficult to navigate, just imagine if you had to do that while walking on the ceiling or a wall.

That said, as long as the game's waypoint system is updated to display in-world AR so we can find the marks on our maps easier in large, multi-level rooms, then such level designs would absolutely be welcome. If they don't upgrade the waypoints though, expect lots of player rage on the forums.

Would be nice to have different gravity per room.

Or even inside a vent. Have stuff like vent pressure. 

Jump into a vent, be sucked upwards/through a tube and show up somewhere else. Likely close to the ceiling in another room. 

Have a control room inside one of such vents which can control the gravity orientation of one or more rooms. 

Or break the cooling to give the level a frozen half shields effect. Or fix it. 

Or reduce gravity by 50%

Or...