Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Once Awake Feedback

Imaru

So I just did the Once Awake questline. Had some fun with it. T'was entertaining. Got some feedback for you (without quest spoilers!).

From a veteren point of view, it isn't that fun a quest. Have to call a spade a spade. It simply isn't really worth the time it takes to do. It's fun sure, and it gives us a bit of lore (hopefully for an upcoming event?) but it really isn't that much in the line of "OH MY GOD THAT WAS AN AMAZING QUEST I WISH I COULD DO IT AGAIN!" 

From a newbie point of view however, this is an amazing quest. The rewards alone make it a very, well, rewarding quest to complete. If I could have had what that quest gave me at the very beginning of my time in warframe, I would have had a much easier time (especially since I joined last June. One mod item could give 2 different mods!).

Overall, I would give it a 9.5/10 as a newbie because it just drops the info on you and then lets you sort it out, not really tying up loose ends, but is otherwise a really good quest. As a veteran player, I would say do it to get Lotus to stop bothering you about it. It takes no crafting or anything and is really easy, so just get it done. Get some lore, and continue whatever you were doing before the patch hit. Probably gets a 6.5/10 as a vet player. 

IMO, it's missing the part where you watch a video of the scientist crying and screaming "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!"

Also a final cutscene where your actions pay off (last mission) would be nice, although Tengus seemed pretty happy with his work. Don't think he would've regretted it. 

It is the perfect new player questline. It introduces a faction with some lore and gives away some nice stuff.

I agree. 

I want them to add a new quest every 3/4 hotfixies

edit: after playing it through i can say i was very engaged even though these missions were a joke for me i could see how they would be difficult for a new player especially mission 3 (too many leaders). its good for both new players and lore hungry players like myself. although i have more questions than answers now. hopefully this will be a continuing trend with constantly new qust every couple of hotfix or so maybe we will see a corpus quest next?

Edited by slykidd

Just too short in my opinion

Well keep in mind it's meant to introduce players to what the Infested are and why we need to kill them, as well as some stuff to fight them with. I agree it's pretty short but I think that may just be the veteran player in me coming out to complain. It is also possible that it feels short because of how long the crafting and grinding on other quests took (looking at you Howl of the Kubrow).

Some issues with the quest from a pacing perspective. I think you pull the punch with the infested too soon. There isn't much build up as you start the quest then suddenly, "Infested everywhere!" Might I suggest a bit of a Chekhov's gun here to add some pacing and a little slow build up?

So {spoilers] beyond here.

Our final mission with the quest line involves setting off of a bomb meant to destroy the infested. That's fun and makes for a nice reason why that place isn't swarmed with infested, and gets newbies interested in infested defense. What if a mission could be added to the quest line at the beginning of the quest chain? One where Lotus is sending you to collect a bomb the Grineer have acquired, maybe a survival missions to justify why we don't see the bomb but other Tenno are grabbing it. During the course of the survival, Lotus reveals odd notes that she wants us to investigate after this mission.

A little intrigue prior to the mission, and setting up the bomb for use in the later mission. Now we no longer have a bomb that comes out of no where, but have instead received a weapon that we get immediate results out of, don't have the infested thrown at the player during the first mission, and pacing extends.

Otherwise, I like the quest as an introduction mission set. Cake walk for two high ranked Tenno but a good start for some new folks post Vor's quest.

-snip-

I would agree, they do show off the infested a bit fast. I kinda wish that it was similar to the Suspicious Shipment mini event where more infested would show up over time instead  of "Here's a Grineer spy mission- Oh wait there are infested here KILL THEM ALL!"

Also Tengus and his assistant (the female voice) should have different models. As it stands they just recycle Hek's/Ruk's old transmission model. 

So much gloating (about lore of infested) to be had arfter finishing this quest.

I do like the fact that the infested ext mission was dark almost like it used to be.

Though I feel a little let down that we didn't get to see Tengus or his assistant even if they're going to sub characters.

Also, did anyone else have to relog arfter the ext mission?

Edited by Postal_pat

Mission 1 was great.

Mission 2 was great and made you appreciate the reward.

Mission 3 had waaaay too many ancients for a new player quest and the map would be very challenging for a solo noob to cover the two points of approach. I suggest scaling it back to maybe seven waves and reduce the number of ancients. Maybe put Enemy Radar or Enemy Sense as a reward for completing Mission 1, or have the Lotus give you some lore excuse that you have +60m enemy radar for the mission.

Crafting Heat Sword requires Neural Sensors making it a frustrating reward for someone doing a lv1-5 quest line on the first planet. Dual Heat Swords would be more appropriate, or the requirements for Heat Sword should be changed IMO.

Edited by VKhaun

As an introduction it works.

It’s not that special with the “Bad Experiment” vibe but as we see neither a Lab, nor a containment cell not even the running doctors… the story feels disconnected to the mission itself. The only link (and I’m not even sure if it was part of the script or coincidence) is the lockdown to block the tennos and randomly spawning infested.

Mission 1:

Switching the objective mid-mission from [spy] to [spy + Exterminate] to ["Evacuate! The data/spore is too important"] would add another dimension.

Mission 2:

Nothing to add. Terminate the infestation is quite sensible.

Mission 3:

Instead of a bomb which seems kind of overkill, why not overload the reactor.  The waiting time would be more plausible and by animating the nice blue glow turning slowly to a dangerous red the player could easily see what’s going on. AND we see a reactor, but no bomb…. soooo :D

Overall:

Reading the inbox message about fire as their weakness is only half as interesting as hearing it midmission from spacemom herself. Adding the environmental Hazard “Burning” to mission 1 would emphasize that fast discovery by our intelligence agent Lotus.

A very nice feature would be:

The first time the tenno gets hit by any toxin cloud or toxin attack spacemom tells us to “Attack with caution. The infested body analysis shows vast amounts of toxins”

While it gives a mod to players, none of the objectives seem to matter or do anything.  Retrieve data mass.  Get nothing from it, no info, no data.  Nothing,  Lotus just doesn't care and sends you off to an alert that pops up.  Data mass is never mentioned again.

Second mission, you have your objective and it works, but how can you be sure.  They are infested, aren't we supposed to be learning that they are more then just creatures, there is more to them then just the things you kill, so why is killing everything enough to stop the ship from being dangerous?

Third mission, still no great reason just an attempt to clear out infested.  We aren't really learning anything.

It's simple which can be a good thing.  No major complications, but we aren't really meeting the infested.  We are just getting a few missions where we fight them.  Fighting them is okay, but it isn't figuring anything out about them.  It's more like mission cut cook repeat.  Not that every quest and mission has to have a huge storyline or anything, but the quest should sort of relate to us that our missions did something more then just give us the chance to fight something.  Warframe already has enough shoot this and shoot that.  The quests probably should have a little bit more then that simplicity.

IMO, it's missing the part where you watch a video of the scientist crying and screaming "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!"

He has no regrets, actually it is implied he did it intentionally, for what?... i hope we will find out

It is the perfect new player questline. It introduces a faction with some lore and gives away some nice stuff.

agreed, it also explains if the infested were so dangerous and where always here why haven't they overrun the system yet

edit: after playing it through i can say i was very engaged even though these missions were a joke for me i could see how they would be difficult for a new player especially mission 3 (too many leaders). its good for both new players and lore hungry players like myself. although i have more questions than answers now. hopefully this will be a continuing trend with constantly new qust every couple of hotfix or so maybe we will see a corpus quest next?

there was a suggestion for mini repeatable missions an one like this one would fit well: short, interesting and rewarding

Some issues with the quest from a pacing perspective. I think you pull the punch with the infested too soon. There isn't much build up as you start the quest then suddenly, "Infested everywhere!" Might I suggest a bit of a Chekhov's gun here to add some pacing and a little slow build up?

there was a point where radio literally told "they have broke free!, forget the Tenno contain the infested"

Also Tengus and his assistant (the female voice) should have different models. As it stands they just recycle Hek's/Ruk's old transmission model. 

all grineer are essentially clones with some modifications they themselves choose, those 2 were "regular" because they didn't need combat modifications.

Mission 3 had waaaay too many ancients for a new player quest and the map would be very challenging for a solo noob to cover the two points of approach. I suggest scaling it back to maybe seven waves and reduce the number of ancients. Maybe put Enemy Radar or Enemy Sense as a reward for completing Mission 1, or have the Lotus give you some lore excuse that you have +60m enemy radar for the mission.

the Vor's Prize already gave them a damaged enemy sense if i am not mistaken, either way a low rank would rather have more life since they wont be able to dispatch them as fast, or look for a group which would encourage team play

any one mind telling my how to start this quest? it's not in my codex and I've already done vor's prize

try to start "Vor's Prize" again, it will not start only be marked as finished and let you begin this one

your questions pretty much spoiler everything but ill still cover this in case anyone minds

While it gives a mod to players, none of the objectives seem to matter or do anything.  Retrieve data mass.  Get nothing from it, no info, no data.  Nothing,  Lotus just doesn't care and sends you off to an alert that pops up.  Data mass is never mentioned again.

Well, mid first mission i think it was obvious what they were experimenting with, and while the data mass may have info on what where they trying to do with them, i think we can all agree on the info recovered from that mission

a ) they found the supposedly extinct infested 

b ) they tried to experiment with them.

remember this is supposed to be how new players meet infested and lotus talks indicate, she didn't believe them to exist anymore but clearly knew about them.

Second mission, you have your objective and it works, but how can you be sure.  They are infested, aren't we supposed to be learning that they are more then just creatures, there is more to them then just the things you kill, so why is killing everything enough to stop the ship from being dangerous?

shoot that.  The quests probably should have a little bit more then that simplicity.

actually there is info in the radio transmissions lotus gives during this mission, and i think this mission is more quarantine than information gathering as shown before lotus knew the infested so there should had been some kind of record.  The part of "the grineer will suffer too" and "we cant let this ship reach a populated area" was nice but perhaps sabotage would had done a better mission.

still makes me remember my favorite quote from Lotus "nobody deserves an infestation"

Third mission, still no great reason just an attempt to clear out infested.  We aren't really learning anything.

well it actually made more sense for me if it was a bomb as infested would need to survive to propagate... but if i imagine they are trying to destroy the life support generator to force a emergency mode and gain entry that would work too!

edit: also the "they appear to be mindless creatures but seem to know were up to something" gives more questions than answers and that is exactly what a starting mission should do 

It's simple which can be a good thing.  No major complications, but we aren't really meeting the infested.  We are just getting a few missions where we fight them.  Fighting them is okay, but it isn't figuring anything out about them.  It's more like mission cut cook repeat.  Not that every quest and mission has to have a huge storyline or anything, but the quest should sort of relate to us that our missions did something more then just give us the chance to fight something.  Warframe already has enough shoot this and shoot that.  The quests probably should have a little bit more then that simplicity.

actually i learned that the infested were not always here during our sleep which explains why they can still be contained and also learned why most infested maps were grineer.

hopefully it also opens doors to more quests

Edited by Edgedemon