Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Updated 29.1.15][Suggestion + Explaination Gif] Sniper Visualization [Or] How To Make Snipers Fairer

Sherbniz

[uPDATE] The Devs will take steps to change accuracy for snipers to be less aim-botty.

In fact, they're rewriting the whole logic behind NPC aiming:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/395422-npc-accuracy/

Lets hope this helps! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there's been a lot of people hurting over the fact that  snipers can ruin your day in a single shot without very much or at times any warning.

Regardless if it's Ballistas, Sniper Crewmen or even Nullifiers of any variety...

Like grenades, I think snipers lack one defining feature to become fair: Visibility!

So I've come up with this idea on how to make snipers less cheesy and give players a chance to evade their shots:

vJIVV0n.gif

Step-By-Step:

1.) Sniper Aquires a Target by Line-of-Sight on fairly high range and gets a Lock-On

2.) The Laser-Lock paints the Tenno in their Sights with 3 translucent lasers. They could be light enough to be unnoticeable by unobservant Tenno.

3.) The Lasers converge onto the Tenno, becoming more and more visible as they lock on. This should give players enough time to react and disable the sniper, block with their melee or get behind cover.

Once the Line of Sight is broken for a longer/shorter period, the lock is lost and the Sniper would have to start again.

4.) If the Tenno was careless not to notice or heed this warning, they will receive a substantial portion of damage in form of a sniper shot.

(Huge Damage Number is just overdramatization. :D)

So, what does everyone think of this Concept?

Would it help make Snipers more fair? Please discuss!

I'll follow the discussion and integrate your ideas in the post. :)

Suggestions:

>Sniper Lock-On takes longer if moving

+1

Love it. What could also be is that the lock on takes longer if you strafe left and right or roll. And as soon as the sniper loses line of sight to you, the lock on dissipates, and he needs to reposition.

Alternate Ideas:

>Simplyfied Concept with Short Tracking Delay before Firing

Posting the list from a suggestion I made on reddit, at the OP's request:

1. 1. All snipers have a clearly visible targeting laser pointing where they aim.
  2. 2. A small fraction of a second before firing, the sniper will cease tracking their target, and the targeting laser will flash brighter for that same fraction of a second.
  3. 3. Snipers will always track you for at least 1 full second before they start firing at their normal rate.

Prevents getting instantly shot from around a corner, and exerts a form of indirect control over a player, where the moment we see the laser, we're immediately going to start running perpendicular to the beam or dodge behind cover. I agree with some of the other suggestions here, such as where losing line of sight requires them to "get a lock" again, with that time delay.

Link to my reddit thread: http://redd.it/2ty5jh

>Sniper Lock-On Warning/Percentage

Maybe also a percentage "sniper lock" gauge that that flashes and goes down if you find cover or run around, but goes up if you go in a straight line, walk or stay still.

Here's a supersimple concept which would let you know if a sniper has a lock on you.

I hope it's not too intrusive!

f9GtocV.jpg

EVsh2HZ.jpg

Edited by Sherbniz

This should have been what the fomorian laser did as well, so yeah, full support.

Yeah, I think the Fomorian had plenty of telegraphing with the loud hum, the warning, etc etc so it was fine in this case I guess. :)

Thanks for the support!

*loud clapping*

:D <3

NICE GIF. i highly agree sometimes i dont know what i die by this might be it sometimes

Thanks, it took a bit to make but I feel it's important to put the point across properly! :)

I certainly hope an idea like this gets looked into!

Upvoted.

Love the idea.

Thanks buddy!

I love it too. I just hope such thing wouldn't make enemy snipers have 0% accuracy :p

What do you mean by that? :D

You mean that when they take forever to lock on, it would be pitiful if they missed their shot?

I believe once they have locked onto you the shot should be a pretty sure hit (as it already is anyways), but of course moving around would lead to the lock-on to take longer perhaps?

Now that i think about it...we need difference between Grineer and Corpus sniper.

Grineer: High damage/ high crit chance, very dangerous to take down your shield and health quickly, your suggestion about sniper would be perfect for them. You see the laser before they shot you

Corpus: Since they have more technologies, they should use weapon similar to rail-gun. To make them different, we could remove that targeting laser but they will deal much less damage / low crit. They could have high impact and/or high Cold damage (perfect for eximus enemy, magnetic would be too much if they can take down a Tenno energy). That mean they will quickly destroy a tenno shield but not his health. Since they use a railgun, the shot will leave a line of energy that will dissipate after a 3? sec, allowing the player to spot them quickly.

Edited by Ninjamander

this is a amazing suggestion! This would make the sniper a real treat! This is much more fair then the current system. +1

Thanks buddy. :3

This would help make Ceres less face-melting.

(Frantically +1s)

Hah, indeeeeeed.

+1 I love it, all it takes is a small change like this

Thanks! I hope it wouldn't be too hard to implement!

Maybe also a percentage "sniper lock" gauge that that flashes and goes down if you find cover or run around, but goes up if you go in a straight line, walk or stay still.

Yeah that would work also, but it wouldn't help to identify Snipers... maybe snipers would have a bright scope flash at you as they lock in on you?

Now that i think about it...we need difference between Grineer and Corpus sniper.

Grineer: High damage/ high crit chance, very dangerous to take down your shield and health quickly, your suggestion about sniper would be perfect for them. You see the laser before they shot you

Corpus: Since they have more technologies, they should use weapon similar to rail-gun. To make them different, we could remove that targeting laser but they will deal much less damage / low crit. They could have high impact and/or high Cold damage (perfect for eximus enemy, magnetic would be too much if they can take down a tenno shield). That mean they will quickly destroy a tenno shield but not his health. Since they use a railgun, the shot will leave a line of energy that will dissipate after a 3? sec, allowing the player to spot them quickly.

Ah yeah that is a GOOD idea too!

Grineer Snipers: Lock-Lasers give Warning BEFORE the shot

Corpus Snipers: Tracers give Warning AFTER the first shot

Could work well! :3

I'm thinking about how to design the Sniper alert in a way that it's not too annoying, hmmm...

Updated with a concept!

+9999 Add this to nullifires as well.

Yeah I think any enemy with a weapon that does 1HitKO damage should be visualized more!

there are only 2 ways i know a sniper is near
1. I get chunked out of no where
2, I see one running 

so needless to say i want this 

I'm with you there buddy! x)

Snipers are a bit too stealthy!

+1

needs more little things like this

Thanks! <3

Edited by Sherbniz

Probably hard to implement, but upvoting anyway.

Shouldn't be too hard I recon, it could be an effect like on the opticor. :)

+1

Love it. What could also be is that the lock on takes longer if you strafe left and right or roll. And as soon as the sniper loses line of sight to you, the lock on dissipates, and he needs to reposition.

Yeah, that's definitely a great idea! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Posting the list from a suggestion I made on reddit, at the OP's request:

1. 1. All snipers have a clearly visible targeting laser pointing where they aim.
  2. 2. A small fraction of a second before firing, the sniper will cease tracking their target, and the targeting laser will flash brighter for that same fraction of a second.
  3. 3. Snipers will always track you for at least 1 full second before they start firing at their normal rate.

Prevents getting instantly shot from around a corner, and exerts a form of indirect control over a player, where the moment we see the laser, we're immediately going to start running perpendicular to the beam or dodge behind cover. I agree with some of the other suggestions here, such as where losing line of sight requires them to "get a lock" again, with that time delay.

Link to my reddit thread: http://redd.it/2ty5jh

Edited by Onihikage

Probably hard to implement, but upvoting anyway.

Doubt it. Payday 2 has snipers with targeting lasers and Overkill managed that they need to take aim for ~2 seconds (their lasers dancing over you, giving away their position), before they can shoot and kill you.

Another thing that I'd love to see are snipers that actually behave like one. Seeking out elevated terrain, staying away from the main horde. Maybe they could even spawn at the edge of the map (in wide open areas) and on the roofs of the Corpus buildings (like we do sometimes). Sure, they shouldn't drop anything valuable then if you have no chance to reach it other than Zephyr or teleporting. But it would already make them more believable, if they didn't try to point-blank you like the other grunts.

Edited by Bibliothekar