Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Break Off That Armor!

Vaskadar

The Grineer (and by extension Corrupted variants) all have very high *percentile-based* damage resistances. It's not like a barrier (shields ala corpus) that you can dismantle. It's just damage resistance that scales dramatically.

Armor should be able to be dismantled by shooting parts of the Grineer. Shooting the torso should reduce the armor on that particular target's torso. Shooting the head should remove their helmets and/or masks (like the Corpus), and if they don't have a helmet, there should be no damage resistance there. The extremities should be less resistant than the torso.

Why should this be done, you ask?

To emphasize aiming and shooting smartly instead of spraying everywhere. Armor 2.0 is what it should be. This mechanic has stagnated too long. I will campaign for this until something happens. No shooting game should have requisite gear or 'hard' equipment gates (looking at you, corrosive projection), especially for such a fast-paced game.

Metro: Last Light, and to some extent 2033 had armor bits that could be broken off. Granted, they're separate models from the pawn, but the same concept stands.

Oh, and seeing them take visible damage makes shooting them much more satisfying than seeing a health bar whittle down.

In the Fallout series, enemies could take limb damage, and this would have varying effects on the opponent. Shooting the leg would cripple their movement. Shooting their arms would make it harder for melee enemies to attack, or for ranged opponents to shoot at you.

Additionally, the Mass Effect series had something similar to armored opponents in both 2 and 3, where armor was something that could be destroyed, even though it was a powerful damage mitigator.

I, among many feel that the shooting mechanics could use a bit of a facelift.

Which is why we need more precision-oriented shooting mechanics. The corpus crewmen received a helmet overhaul, as that can be shot off. I don't see why the Grineer should really be any different.

Granted, enemy armor should be tougher, but it should function as a health buffer, not a percentile-based damage resistance mechanic. Old-school shooters had armor parts as a reduction to the damage your health takes, and after it's gone, you take full damage.

If someone has their face exposed to fire, it should take true damage. Grineer that aren't wearing masks should take more damage to their head. Grineer troopers should have their helmets blown off if you shoot them in the head, allowing for successive shots to deal additional damage.

Precision-oriented gameplay is something that they could definitely expand upon.

Edited by Vaskadar

I can't remember which devstream it was said in, but the whole 'tearing through horde' thing is part of the game and part of the idea.

So why don't we keep the horde aspect of races and leave the stuff that requires thought to the special units?

I'd rather see a big ol grineer machine manned by multiple people, shooting off armour plates lets you expose points that disable weapons & movement on the machine when destroyed, or even allowing you to shoot the pilots.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

I thought weakpoints were a thing. Or do they work only with Sonar?

Weakpoint just means true damage is dealt (to a certain extent). Otherwise, it's just a damage amp on a localized point. *Forgot to clarify in this particular post*

Edited by Vaskadar

I thought weakpoints were a thing. Or do they work only with Sonar?

As far as I am aware, the sonar ability actually just creates weak points.  Even though the description says it "reveals" them, it's really just pasting on some bonus damage targets for the duration of the ability. I think.

No, they dont.

Which is why we need more precision-oriented shooting mechanics. The corpus crewmen received a helmet overhaul, as that can be shot off. I don't see why the Grineer should really be any different.

Granted, enemy armor should be tougher, but it should function as a health buffer, not a damage resistance mechanic. Old-school shooters had armor parts as a reduction to the damage your health takes, and after it's gone, you take full damage.

If someone has their face exposed to fire, it should take true damage. Grineer that aren't wearing masks should take more damage to their head. Grineer troopers should have their helmets blown off if you shoot them in the head, allowing for successive shots to deal additional damage.

Precision-oriented gameplay is something that they could definitely expand upon.

Edited by Vaskadar

i really like the idea and i see no problems with it. still this mechanic should only apply to special heavy units while the rest i agree needs a little nerf in the resistances. also has anyone notice how their aim increases dramatically with level?. seriously they have perfect aim after lvl 35.

i really like the idea and i see no problems with it. still this mechanic should only apply to special heavy units while the rest i agree needs a little nerf in the resistances. also has anyone notice how their aim increases dramatically with level?. seriously they have perfect aim after lvl 35.

If you are a host, they always have perfect aimbot skills.

I can't remember which devstream it was said in, but the whole 'tearing through horde' thing is part of the game and part of the idea.

So why don't we keep the horde aspect of races and leave the stuff that requires thought to the special units?

Changes like this would reward precise attacks, but they wouldn't make spraying any less effective. WF's current problem is that spraying is heavily encouraged, so the game doesn't reward skill that much, so you rarely get that "oh wow, I'm good" feeling.

If you are a host, they always have perfect aimbot skills.

I think that was fixed.

Changes like this would reward precise attacks, but they wouldn't make spraying any less effective. WF's current problem is that spraying is heavily encouraged, so the game doesn't reward skill that much, so you rarely get that "oh wow, I'm good" feeling.

Spraying isn't a problem. Hordes aren't a problem. The game's enemy design and 'difficulty' are the problem.

I would love to see slash based weapons able to dismember mobs. 

if I cant kill you, I'll make you unable to kill me.

also, if we could shoot off helmets and then they have no armour there, that would literally be the best thing ever.

we would actually be able to use some sniper rifles and tap a couple of shots into a gunner's helm and it would die. 

I would love to see slash based weapons able to dismember mobs. 

if I cant kill you, I'll make you unable to kill me.

also, if we could shoot off helmets and then they have no armour there, that would literally be the best thing ever.

we would actually be able to use some sniper rifles and tap a couple of shots into a gunner's helm and it would die. 

Oh that sounds interesting and very useful!

Being able to shoot off parts of the enemies body with a Slash proc/weapon would add some real immersion into the game, not to mention would add another dimension to consider when dealing with threats.

I'm glad that people are receiving this proposal well! Keeping up with discussion, precision-focused gunplay would make the game, as a whole, a lot more fun. The only trouble is that this would require some major changes in animations and models.

I'm all for it, but there's much to consider. This would make the gameplay a much more enjoyable experience, putting a focus on skill shots over just raw DPS.

+1 OP

more visual dmg fx

but im for shift in game design to fewer tougher enemies than the mindless horde mode that we have transitioned into

im still fine with the tenno being demigod warriors, but i would rather this game have a more tactical feel to it than the dynasty/mmorpg direction that it is heading in (you can still have a speedy/fast tactical game, jus sayin)

notice how in every single trailer for the game, there is a clear feeling of a strategic/tactic feel to the actions of the tenno, they are fast/dangerous/powerful, but they dont run around and just spam their powers and wave their sidearm of doom... becuz if the trailers looked like that, it would look stupid and silly, so i would just like to see the same logic applied to the ingame systems dynamic

It has become Dynasty Warframe on some level, fighting hordes of mindless enemies that crumple when you swat your weapons at them. Putting at least some level of thought into shooting your opponents will go a long way in making the game better overall.

Nice, +1

To emphasize aiming and shooting smartly instead of spraying everywhere. Armor 2.0 is what it should be.

YES! Amor 2.0, please *-*

That's why we have Corrosive Procs and Corrosive Projection.

I'd still prefer shooting smartly than installing a mod that decreases enemies' armor (worn all over btw) just because.

Amor 2.0 pls *-*