Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's Worrisome That This Game Still Has No Objective

Qb3rt

Usually even the grindiest of farmfest treadmill games at least have an objective, goal, destination, competitive element... something. Be it endgame PvE bosses treated as loot pinatas while waiting on the next dungeon, or a repeatable campaign with difficulty modes, or your typical objective based PvP... I've never seen a game based on progression farming that completely lacks any purpose for whatever is being farmed.

There are currently only three things in game I can think of that one might perceive as the objective to the game:

---- Completing every location's mission (which is tantamount to repeating the same 5 or 6 missions at different difficulties)

---- Creating an artificial challenge out of reaching a certain wave on Defense missions

---- Competing to top the "most kills" list... which may be the least appealing goal of all time.

I understand this is still technically a "beta" ... but this is a pretty serious problem.

Playerbases are famous for their mass exoduses due to lack of endgame content/objectives, and this game is one of the worst culprits I've experienced. I like to remain optimistic & assume there's some big plan in the works that will give a reason for all the farming that players are being asked to do ... but the scariest thing to me is that I've yet to see any devs mention any such plans or even hint at any content in the works to fill this giant void of purpose.

... or is it just me? Is everyone else perfectly OK with the current cycle of farming for loot to farm for more loot? Even when literally all existing content can be completed with ease using even default starting weapons?

Edited by Qb3rt

There are currently only three things in game I can think of that one might perceive as the objective to the game:

What about the mastery rank?

Well anyways, DE planned to bring in some lore in the next update, so endgame isn't too far away.

PS: I'm completely OK with the farming, no issue with that.

Edited by Cyler

I agree, right now there's no story and the only progress is that enemies simply get more HP and elite enemies appear in greater numbers. Even the tilesets for the higher level planets are the same for each faction.

Hopefully the Void isn't their vision of a lategame and they come out with something solid.

Underneath the fun I feel when I play Warframe; yeah I share the same sentiment, gameplay is repetitive regardless of the (numerical) level changes and increasingly varied enemy spawns; you're still killing things to a single objective then getting out, with little changes in how it's done.

There's not much connection between our actions and the lore too.

Edited by DSMK2

DE has stated that they are working on storyline, lore and endgame content.  When, or in what condition those may arrive has yet to even be hinted at, but they are on it so to speak.

I just hope it isn't delivered in the form of more void keys or other such nonsense.

Warframe is still in beta, a point will materialize. Some ideas that the community is proposing are below. We'd love feedback/suggestions :)

Cells: unlockable plot driven series of missions for a single squad of Tenno, that only reward when playing appropriate level gear. And have (kinda) perma-death :)

Cells: Warframe's Metagame

Global Influence: an ongoing conflict in each planetary system that provides temporary access to special bosses, rewards and missions once the struggle's tide is turned in Tenno's favor.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/57629-retaking-origin-a-suggestion-for-a-perpetual-endgame/

Edited by notionphil

Underneath the fun I feel when I play Warframe; yeah I share the same sentiment, gameplay is repetitive regardless of the (numerical) level changes and increasingly varied enemy spawns; you're still killing things to a single objective then getting out, with little changes in how it's done.

This game is just starting to feel a lot like Diablo3 except without any of the story...  just a half dozen "kill 10 rats" quests.

I personally believe that the reason so many people are pushing for the addition of PvP is because of this objective-void, not necessarily because they just want PvP. They like the gameplay and progression, but want a purpose like everyone else and PvP is always the easy way out. I'd much ather see creative PvE content implemented alongside some element of competition ... but  it's easy to see why PvP-fiends are so common.

Edited by Qb3rt

This worries me too. Game gets old fast no matter what. So much farming needs a final purpose. Maybe a level 500 boss or something really brutal, well, dont know. But im pretty sure that DE guys know about this cause its the first and ultimate lethal threat to his baby. 

Maybe some research of the most succesful endgame´s games is going on, Hope so.

Edited by Eversor

I would have to agree with the OP.

For me the reason for me to play is to farm materials to build new items and frames to play with and try out. So why would I buy anything with platinum? Buying those items would remove the reason I play really. So there I see a big problem with their income flow. Right now the only thing I would spend platinum on is slots and potatoes/forma since you can only get them from very rare ? alerts. And then I only buy those thing for my best items that I enjoy the most, 90% of the other things I don't.

I completely agree with the OP. People have been making the point about lack of content for a while now, but what really makes it concerning is the fact that there's been nothing even hinted about it. The most we get are extremely vague statements that are essentially saying "yeah, whatever, we're working on it."

Granted, DE may be working on some genuinely interesting content that takes the game to a new level. But the fact that they're not talking about it now does not inspire confidence.

I don't think the lack of a major objective is a real problem with Warframe.

This game was inspired in Mass Effect III multi-player which is still very active today, around one and a half year after its initial release (which is even more amazing considering the development of multi-player content officially ended 3 months ago). ME3 also doesn't have any major objective or goal (each mission is individual, during from 14 to 30 min, and apart from leveling up weapons and classes, there is nothing major to accomplish - pretty much the same thing as with Warframe).

The major problem with Warframe lies in its total lack of challenge. This game is way too easy (I should say effortless) after you level up some important mods. I can kill any boss in the game in less than 10s (except Jackal, but that doesn't really matter) using a potatoed Gorgon (with no forma). I can complete any mission (including T2 void) with a mid-level frame and mid-level weapons without dying a single time. The only a little more challenging missions are T3 void, but I can easily solo them with any level 30 frame and my Gorgon.

Coming back to Mass Effect III, it has 4 difficult levels. Just a handful of players (and I mean it) are able to solo the higher difficult level and even those who can need several attempts to succeed. Even with a 4 team experienced players and leveled up characters and weapons, the game still presents enough challenge to be fun.

So, even if Warframe don't have a major objective, if it presented some major difficulty people would still be playing it months from now. The way it is now, there is simply no incentive at all: why would I build/level up my Supra and add Forma(s) to it if I can easily solo any mission and kill everything with a standard Braton/Boltor/Gorgon (or almost any other weapon)?

This games buku fun, and the collectionist in me loves the weapon and frame grind. They've already confirmed episodic content with its own bosses and art assets which will make this better and they've stated in previous livestreams that they have awesome sauce endgame plans (dunno what they are yet though!). I'd not stress to hard because it'll come when it comes and frankly the games a lot of fun as is and given the rate at which they drop content by the time we see the PS4 surge of players the game will be unrecognizable from what we have today.

how could someone not agree? that's why all the updates worry me, they add more guns, and what's the point? what the hell are we supposed to do with those guns?

That's not really fair - every game update seems to come with new tilesets, mobs, and game mechanics. Also, remember people DE has been working with a pretty small team. It's only the past two updates that their team has started ramping up in number and they stated last livestream that as DE finishes other projects (they have a lot of work outsourced to them historically) they are reassigning all their staff over to Warframe. This means that the content drops are only going to get heavier and heavier.

Don't confuse Tenno reinforcements with game updates, they are not the same.

how could someone not agree? that's why all the updates worry me, they add more guns, and what's the point? what the hell are we supposed to do with those guns?

You shoot stuff. How's that any different than any other first person shooter?

You're starting to delve into the ideation of "What's the point of playing ANY video game?"

I am pretty sure Lotus is a villainous organization that uses unwitting dupes to gather resources, engage in cooperate espionage, and assassinate rivals.

The reason we do not have an "end goal" is because eventually Tenno will outlive their usefulness and Lotus will destroy us. Lotus does not want you to question it or dig too deeply into their motives.

With that being said ... A leader board for daily/weekly rewards would be nice. Basically I just like random secondary objectives because it keeps things interesting. Right now you get a secondary objective when you enter a zone (eg. kill mobs while sliding). I would like to see that expanded to:

a) complete 1 of each mission type in a week

b) complete 3 alerts in a day

c) complete a zone on each planet in a week

etc...

Edited by Zhero8232