Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what survivability mods do you use on mag?

JarodDempsey

Question

On my mag prime ive been running vitality and redirection but I'm just wondering if theres any better option to prevent getting 1shot occasionally in sorties since shields are in such a dire shape.

Some combos for reference:

vitality + steel fiber = ~1525 ehp

vitality + redirection = ~2010 ehp

vitality + quick thinking = ~2115 ehp

vitality + redirection + steel fiber = ~2176 ehp

vitality + quick thinking + steel fiber = ~2441 ehp

steel fiber + quick thinking + flow = ~2718 ehp

vitality + quick thinking + flow = ~2882 ehp

vitality + quick thinking + primed flow = ~3135 ehp

steel fiber + quick thinking + primed flow = ~3182 ehp

Two survivability mods is pretty much the max space allotted for general use imo. If you figure 2 slots for efficiency mods + stretch + primed cont + strength mod + 2 survivability mods = 1 slot left which is usually best filled with counter pulse or fracturing crush/flow for energy reduct/armor sorties respectively. She simply doesnt have the room in her kit due to mediocre ranges in addition to poor strength multipliers. 

We can see above that quick thinking tends to provide more ehp than other options. Unfortunately it's highly unreliable due to mag being very ability reliant which means her energy will often be far from max capacity giving her much less ehp than the max values above. Not to forget that upon activating qt, her energy can be quickly depleted leaving her helpless. I would only consider running a qt build if using maxed energy pulse, energizing dash, and r3 arcane energize. Even with that large investment, a qt build really isnt viable without at least 3 mod slots which means not being able to use counter pulse or fracturing crush. I think either of the last two options on the list would be best once i max those zenurik skills and buy arcane energize although mag will be just as squishy during energy reduct or armor sorties (if she uses fracturing crush) and would lose out on her polarize augment in every case.

Any thoughts or tips on this or how you build mag would be appreciated.

Edited by JarodDempsey

9 answers to this question

Vitality and Redirection is good.

Mag doesn't have enough base armor to make Steel Fiber worthwhile, and the already gimmicky Quick Thinking setup is even worse with her, because she has low max energy for a caster frame and all of her abilities have defensive utility anyway.

i flip between Redirection, Vitality, or Primed Vigor depending on what sort of Mission i'm going into.
i do use Redirection and Primed Vigor a lot more than Vitality (usually) because of how much i adore Aegis, though.

yeah, i only use one of them at a time. i find it sufficient and i get to have more other stuff.

Steel Fiber isn't useful for Mag, don't worry about it. Quick Thinking is... too situational for Mag IMO.
(though Armor is useful for Quick Thinking - however this relation doesn't help Mag out much)

Edited by taiiat

21 minutes ago, ReinAxefury said:

I don't use any, mag has so good CC it's not necessary as long as you know what are you doing. But that's just me, use whatever you feel confortable.

exactly this. her insane damage and extremly good CC makes survivability mods redundant on her 

I use Vitality only. Redirection is a waste (Crush grants overshields), and it won't protect you from Toxin or Slash procs anyway.

The Counter Pulse augment for Polarize also drastically reduces incoming damage from Corpus/Grineer, so you can consider that one if you still feel like you're taking too much damage.