Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is anyone else completely underwhelmed by Revenant?

Insizer

I've been playing Revenant a bit and I just can't help but feel underwhelmed by him.  Playing him becomes an exercise of micromanaging thralls before they are killed by your allies this means constantly casting your first ability or using your second ability running in front of an enemy, wait for them to get proc'd by the ability then cast your first ability.  Sure, they can infect other enemies, but how often does that happen before they get killed themselves?  You have a mist dash (with shoddy graphics) which is ok.  And then you have an ult which is actually fairly good but also dull.

Maybe I'm posting this too early, maybe I haven't seen "what he really can do", but I can't help but feel Revenant is a large swing and a miss.  I was wondering what the thoughts of others are.

14 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

If your allies are having 0 issues shredding enemies, do you really need the thralls? Like with Nidus building stacks, if your allies are destroying enemies before you can build stacks... you don't really need them.

Are you implying that these thralls do any help for when your whole team isn't scratching enemies anymore?

Besides, if a frame's kit is barely usable in 99% of content (which is anything up to lvl 100) then there is something definitely not right.

I'm personally getting a lot out of him, but I also am a solo player.  So far I have rarely encountered any points of time where I enter real danger even in sortie level missions. He is very good at threat disabling. Between thralls under your control and sleeping enemies, he doesn't really have a lot of threats to him. I definitely feel undewhelmed by his Reave skill though. It takes too long to pull off outside of when he's ulting, but it eats up so much energy and barely has much effect on his survivability. It definitely needs the most tweaks. 

Overall, having fun. 

7 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

I'm personally getting a lot out of him, but I also am a solo player.  So far I have rarely encountered any points of time where I enter real danger even in sortie level missions. He is very good at threat disabling. Between thralls under your control and sleeping enemies, he doesn't really have a lot of threats to him. I definitely feel undewhelmed by his Reave skill though. It takes too long to pull off outside of when he's ulting, but it eats up so much energy and barely has much effect on his survivability. It definitely needs the most tweaks. 

Overall, having fun. 

What bugs me the most is

unknown.png

and the devstream showing off a whole lot of thralls only for us to get a maximum of 4...

Just now, IceColdHawk said:

What bugs me the most is

unknown.png

and the devstream showing off a whole lot of thralls only for us to get a maximum of 4...

After using him a bunch, I kind of see why. I still think it should be raised, but unlike other minion skills, the moment one goes down, if another one attacks you just replaced the minion. It's self propagating. 

I still think a slightly higher limit like maybe 7 should be tested.

18 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Overall, having fun. 

I can see how as a solo player you would get quite a bit from him.  He does disable threats very well as you said.

4 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

After using him a bunch, I kind of see why. I still think it should be raised, but unlike other minion skills, the moment one goes down, if another one attacks you just replaced the minion. It's self propagating. 

I still think a slightly higher limit like maybe 7 should be tested.

Perhaps. So far the feedback in the megathread has been quite clear more or less. Hope DE's gonna fix the few issues he has. I'm simply worried that enthrall ends up being lackluster or useless most of the time or that it starts to hinder mission progress similar to mind control. Other than that, i really enjoy the concept and idea behind his abilities.

1 minute ago, IceColdHawk said:

Perhaps. So far the feedback in the megathread has been quite clear more or less. Hope DE's gonna fix the few issues he has. I'm simply worried that enthrall ends up being lackluster or useless most of the time or that it starts to hinder mission progress similar to mind control. Other than that, i really enjoy the concept and idea behind his abilities.

yeah. Personally I think they should focus less on what the thralls can do and help improve what killing them does. If it siphoned a bit of the health from an enemy into the damage, I think it would be more beneficial.

43 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

If your allies are having 0 issues shredding enemies, do you really need the thralls? Like with Nidus building stacks, if your allies are destroying enemies before you can build stacks... you don't really need them.

Then you are basically say that all the potential synergies are pointless for most the vast majority of content because they all involve enthrallment.  Without any of this "synergy" his kit lacks any sense of cohesion in my opinion.  You've got a sub-par barrier, a vamparic mist (which I'm not entirely sold on) and a DPS spinning top of an ult.

Even with Enthrall I can't help but wonder what is the purpose of this frankenstein kit.

33 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

What bugs me the most is

unknown.png

This, so very much this.

Revenant needs 10 at minimum, especially if playing in public missions where most of them are going to get deleted in one move.

At any level where your thralls don't immediately die to friendly fire, enemy health/armor scaling has far outstripped the damage your thralls will do with their guns or the damage of their death explosion. Revenant, charitably, has two usable abilities and neither is fantastic. One of the worst if not the absolute worst frame in the game at the moment, depending on the particularities of how you rate an incompetent CC frame versus an incompetent damage frame.

Edited by Emperrier

1 hour ago, IceColdHawk said:

Are you implying that these thralls do any help for when your whole team isn't scratching enemies anymore?

Besides, if a frame's kit is barely usable in 99% of content (which is anything up to lvl 100) then there is something definitely not right.

Aren't the thralls supposed to die?

Looks great. Beside that, my experience today was:

1  - ok, this is super usefull, and you can damage/kill your new friends - not bad at all.

2 - hm, so like a layer of added safety, not bad again..

3 - kinda a long cast, slow and feels like it needs that mod to cast faster for which my no forma build has no room. meh.

4 - What??!!! Just turn on ulti that is damage AOE during which time you can't jump, run, use guns or other abilities.

I thought we were past such stale ultimate abilities..

Back to the drawer to see light of day, someday, just not any time soon. To 30 with booster is all I needed to get bored with him. I did kuva farm missions, I didn't just go defence mission and max affinity and I still god bored in a mater of hours.

If anyone is interested, my prefered style of play is run and gun. The less abilities you got to use, the better. Perfect examples.. Wukong with defy + snipers,

Or Peacefull provocation Equinox, or Chroma..  One or two abilities, to survive, none to CC and none to kill, just pure run, aim, shoot.. 

52 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Aren't the thralls supposed to die?

I'm starting to believe that this is the case. As in, Revenant not being the frame who conquers the missions, carrying a whole army with him to outnumber his enemy but more in the direction of getting the battlefield under his control. Perhaps this allows for the incoming Nyx rework to take this role instead. Furthermore, Nekros already is able to carry a squad of enemies with him.

Regardless, i'm in the same boat as Omega-Shadowblade as in, increasing the amount of thralls couldn't hurt. Since it also felt kinda like misleading hype to see him with lots of minions in the devstream only for you to have a maximum of 4.

Edited by IceColdHawk