Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[SPOILER] Lotus voice-over changes

Gofretko

After finishing [The Sacrifice] quest I have to admit it really only took me a few hours for the pixellized & purple Lotus to start getting on my nerves.

Warframe describes a future of the Sol System where technology is millenia ahead and yet... Ordis cannot ensure distortion-free / break-up-free recordings? Seriously. That's just lore-breaking -- even if we put aside subjective preferences.

I understand the ergonomy / user-experience reason DE had in mind: we HAVE to get reminded this is a recording and not the Lotus we know. I get it. But was there no other way? It had to be transmissions with distortions and break-ups?

How about:

• Very slight metallic uninterrupted voice (not a fan as well but if it removes the distortions I will prefer it).
  • Slight re-modulation so the voice sounds slightly different, and again, please let it be not interrupted by distortions! This is probably the cheapest option in my non-informed opinion, but it sounds legit to me to process all voice-overs with software that slightly shifts frequencies. Sorry if that's horribly naive and things don't work that way.
  • Ability to use another narrator altogether. A huge topic in itself but I will limit myself to saying that I would be paying platinum so I can choose between Teshin, Darvo, Ordis and I don't know, maybe some people would like Maroo? (I personally find her abhorrent but that's how subjective tastes work so I just won't ever pick her, no big deal). If I had the budget I would also include Simaris, Suda, Palladino, or maybe just all syndicate leaders. I am aware this is a ton of work but you have to understand there is a no small amount of people out there who gladly pay for customization. It's not an effort that is doomed to get DE broke; people will use the feature and will pay even if it's like 150p.

Thoughts?

Any time you see the Lotus pop up, that is her live chatting with you. Purple hologram Lotus is Ordis trying to fake the Lotus, along with his routine inability to keep it together. It makes complete sense. Even though you've seen the transmission before, it isn't just the Lotus hitting replay on one of her videos, it's just her saying the same thing.

In-universe it isn't a recording. In-universe Ordis is broken. Until Ordis is fixed, likely through a lore-heavy quest, nothing Ordis does can be bug/glitch-free. This also means all they need to do is get Rebecca to record lines and she can voice both regular Lotus and glitch Lotus.

16 minutes ago, Gofretko said:

people will use the feature and will pay even if it's like 150p.

I don't think 150 is high enough to cover not just redoing every single piece of VO work that has been done for the Lotus, but every single time anything new has to be recorded and every single VA has to be brought in to do those lines also.

hace 23 minutos, Gofretko dijo:
  • Very slight metallic uninterrupted voice (not a fan as well but if it removes the distortions I will prefer it).

Yes

•  Slight re-modulation so the voice sounds slightly different, and again, please let it be not interrupted by distortions! This is probably the cheapest option in my non-informed opinion, but it sounds legit to me to process all voice-overs with software that slightly shifts frequencies. Sorry if that's horribly naive and things don't work that way.

Yes

•  Ability to use another narrator altogether. A huge topic in itself but I will limit myself to saying that I would be paying platinum so I can choose between Teshin, Darvo, Ordis and I don't know, maybe some people would like Maroo? (I personally find her abhorrent but that's how subjective tastes work so I just won't ever pick her, no big deal). If I had the budget I would also include Simaris, Suda, Palladino, or maybe just all syndicate leaders. I am aware this is a ton of work but you have to understand there is a no small amount of people out there who gladly pay for customization. It's not an effort that is doomed to get DE broke; people will use the feature and will pay even if it's like 150p.

No.

Not because it being expensive in money for DE, it should not be. But becaue it is extra download. Sure, it could be possible to make it so that only those who opt-in download it, however that is a technology yet to be developed by DE. How do I know they do not have this technology? Because new clan emblems need to deployed in updates. If they do not have the technology for the warframe client to download clan emblems on demand, allowing for them to be changed and deployed on anytime, then they do not have the technology for downloading voice packs on demand. It makes sense this was once an april fools joke.

Edited by theraot

Well, this does not address the very obvious issue that it's a recording and not a live simulation.

Ordis might be glitched but surely just pushing a play button on a recording every now and then is very doable for him, especially if he manages to execute our Foundry orders without a single defect.

I still think the distortions are a bad bandaid. 😞

15 hours ago, theraot said:

Not because it being expensive in money for DE, it should not be. But becaue it is extra download.

IMO that's a minor complaint. Warframe is very well optimized even for pretty weak computers, but even those weak computers usually have a few more GBs of disk space.

What really has to improve however is the downloading of content patches. I have a gigabit connection and Blizzard games are downloading updates at ~55 megabytes a second -- a HOTS update weighing 300MB gets downloaded in 6 seconds, I kid you not -- while Warframe happily trawls at 280 KB/sec. That's pretty bad.