Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fomorian feedback

Thelk641

So, the Fomorian is here, it's going to destroy Earth's relay, there's no way around it, after 22h we've done 15.7% of the damage and the grand majority of players are probably done getting their loot and won't fight it again and, I'm going to be honest, that makes me sad. This is the first time I see this event, so I may be missing something, but here is my take on it :

Lore wise, this is a huge thing, it's going to impact the star map, something only two story-line quests have done, all Tenno are called to help for this things that is only there because we've all given a bit of our time to gather the resources and defend it while NPCs were reconstructing it. It should be a huge event where we all gather and fight against the universe.

Gameplay wise, this is a one hour event, maybe even less. Go to Earth defence mission, gather 20 or 30 thingys, craft the stuff, do the mission once for the big reward, 4 or 5 time for the archwing gun and... you're done. For people who have access to other relays, there's literally no incentive other than role play to do anything there, it doesn't give any loot outside of the odd 400 endo (is that worse waiting on a very low level defence mission and then on an archwing ultra-repetitive fight ?) for the mission itself, doesn't give any loot from repeating it or doing anything really, there's no sign of any bonus loot based on the "maximum damage you've done" number that is displayed on the UI, no sign of any particular loot is we collectively work our way towards this common goal.

It is a Role Play event, and nothing else. The last events : ghouls, the infection on Cetus, the big corpus boss, none of those had any role play consequences : we all knew that the ghouls would go away at the end of the timer, that the infection would be defeated at the end of the timer, that the big corpus boss would go away at the end of the timer, this event is on paper supposed to be so much more that this, so much more important, yet, it has no rewards whatsoever, there's no reason to fight for it. We're at a point where in regional chat, people are saying "well, at least we'll get back the event to rebuild it".

This event is a failure, clearly, it either is a tiny event to break the monotony and in that case, the fact that we're going to loose a relay because of it is totally stupid, or it is a major event that should unite us all against a common enemy and in that case it deserves so much more loot that it currently has. We've just finished a minor event where a 15 to 20min quest would give you a lens, kuva, reputation, a revenant part and a currency that could be traded 1 to 1 (1 quest for 1 item) for forma, and now we have a major event where a 20min farm lets you access a 10min quest that gives you 400 endos 25% of the time ?

This doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Thelk641

You may think that Tennos are slacking, as of now, but I can nearly assure you that Strata will live. I've seen a couple of the Fomorian Events, and while it is true that progress is slow, I'm sure that in the last day or so progress will be fairly quick.

I've tought the same as you the first time: "what? only 50% done in 3 days?" then bum. Done some hours after.

As in inconsequential, there were events where your choices mattered, like help Alad V getting cured or not? Ps4 Didn't, while PC and Xbox did. And also this is the reason some of the relays are still on and performing on PC, while on PS4 there are others. I THINK, that Larunda was destroyed on PS4.

Only thing a 'newbie' to fomorians need to worry over is hitting the 1mil target and farming it (fairly low drop rates on 2 parts sadly) to get the loot it drops (ie 3x imperator vandal parts and 400 endo).  Once you've got your imperator vandal parts, the next time it comes round you literally need to do one run to hit your 1mil points so you can grab the 'reward' and that's it, unless you want to try and trade the parts (not worth it imo). 

The countdown, as said, will just tick down at a set rate as usual. 

Then I was wrong, it is just a meaningless mini-event that is only there to break the monotony. I don't get why they didn't make it a bigger thing than it is in that case, make it so the universe evolve a little bit here and there, make it so it isn't just "today I'm going to farm X"...

1 hour ago, Thelk641 said:

Then I was wrong, it is just a meaningless mini-event that is only there to break the monotony. I don't get why they didn't make it a bigger thing than it is in that case, make it so the universe evolve a little bit here and there, make it so it isn't just "today I'm going to farm X"... 

they did do a version which wiped out a set number of relays, it was a long time ago though. 

Yes, but there was the idea since then that we would be able to rebuild them, and we just did so it made a lot of sense for me that we would now be in a constant war : the grineer and corpus trying to destroy them, us trying to protect them. It would have make sense !

1 hour ago, Thelk641 said:

Yes, but there was the idea since then that we would be able to rebuild them, and we just did so it made a lot of sense for me that we would now be in a constant war : the grineer and corpus trying to destroy them, us trying to protect them. It would have make sense !

They are probably only going to implement that under two circumstances: They can automate the event (it's still manually fired and maintained on the back end by DE) and they have a reconstruction event ready for each relay, also automated.

I'd love to be here when it all finally falls into place, but they're super far from that.

If the fomorian did actually destroy the relay, then that would be a big kick in the ass to the community, you know given that is was almost literally just rebuilt.
And while is is partly scripted as Animan800 said, if im correct, i do believe that the players still have a direct impact on its progress.

Honestly though i do not think it is anything to worry about, we Tenno won't let that nasty Vay Hek destroy our relay!!

il y a 12 minutes, Julian_Skies a dit :

They are probably only going to implement that under two circumstances: They can automate the event (it's still manually fired and maintained on the back end by DE) and they have a reconstruction event ready for each relay, also automated.

I'd love to be here when it all finally falls into place, but they're super far from that.

Well, the backbone is already there with the timed event of the Fomorian and the big corpus boss, they just need to add a third one which would be the time it take the NPCs to gather the basic materials that they can get on their own and make it so the level of the missions is based on how many relays they are (the more we have, the stronger the enemies are because they're more focused) and there we go, the only thing left would be to setup a Cetus-like event reputation and the only job they would have would be to pick which loot they want to give away each time the countdown gets close to zero, it can't be that much work...

5 minutes ago, Thelk641 said:

the only thing left would be to setup a Cetus-like event reputation and the only job they would have would be to pick which loot they want to give away each time the countdown gets close to zero, it can't be that much work.

This is a brilliantly horrid idea. no i am not saying its a bad idea. Personally I'm not on-board with MORE reputations to grind/farm but the concept in whole that you gave is an interesting one indeed.

28 minutes ago, Thelk641 said:

Well, the backbone is already there with the timed event of the Fomorian and the big corpus boss

Here's the thing, and this is only what I've heard.

But the backbone is NOT there. The Fomorian and Razorback events aren't timed, per see. Someone at DE has to go and hit the Start button on it, then check in daily to see if it breaks or not. There's manual work being done. I'm certain they're working on getting that backbone ready (hope of mine, those types of events might come front and center with Railjack), but until then, well.

Eh, if the relay gets destroyed, it just means all the players who missed out on the big 'rebuild' event will get a chance at it again, because some of us have newborns and weren't able to play 😉

But seriously, lots of people slack off because they can't be bothered doing it until it's almost run out. I doubt the relay will fall (but hope it does, because we deserve to fail once in a while)

il y a une heure, LazyRogue a dit :

This is a brilliantly horrid idea. no i am not saying its a bad idea. Personally I'm not on-board with MORE reputations to grind/farm but the concept in whole that you gave is an interesting one indeed.

Well, this reputation wasn't grindy, at least it didn't seem to me, as it only lasted for a few days and you got to the max level in 3 or 4 missions. Right now, DE has four ways to give loot : mission ending bonus, quest ending bonus, event-based currencies and relics. I don't want the next event to just give me a vaulted relic or a special kind of relic, it's too much RNG for a timed event, at least for me, mission ending bonus have limits (either theirs too much and people complain they didn't have time to farm them or there's not enough and the event is over a few hours after it started), quest ending bonus have limits (either the event has to have a lot of quests or you only get one reward per event, which leads to the same issues)... so the only good candidate right now seems to be event-based currencies. That's what made Cetus' infestation worth running once you got all the event's specific rewards : one run, 3k reputation which you exchange for an already crafted forma. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, or even a good one, it's just that : I've tried it, I've been okay with it. If they can come out with a system that's even better so let's go for it, but in the current situation, this, at least, does what I think an event's reward system should do : give the most interesting loot early, for people who don't have time to farm it for hours and hours, but also give a reason to continue doing it instead of the normal missions.

@Xarteros : In a sense, I agree that people should be able to get these rewards, but... this, lore wise, was supposed to be a big deal. It wasn't just "like every 2 or 3 weeks the ghouls are back", it was "a syndicate has managed to build so much resources they're ready to do something no one else ever did before". If it's destroyed and rebuild every month or every two month, without a bigger story to justify it, just a true "we're breaking the monotony while you wait for the next big pack of content", then we may be winning more in game items, but we're loosing actual contents as we've gone for a major event that really mattered to a minor event that nobody should care about. I'll find that pretty sad, I was there, I farmed for this, my time was spend for this relay to be there, it would be waisted if it became just another monthly event.