Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Jesus - Is considered profanity?

Joe_Barbarian

8 hours ago, rune_me said:

I'm not really disagreeing with you. But like you said, I'm almost 100% sure that it isn't planned out. Whether it's the list of filtered words in naming, or the kickbot in chat, words get added and subtracted on a case by case basis, as they come up.

I'm sure that if a substantial amount of players began taking offense to using Gram in naming conventions, then it would eventually get added as well. But since that will never happen, it's not added and never will be.

I find the metric system highly offensive...I demand that Gram be renamed Ounce! :laugh:

11 hours ago, rune_me said:

I'm not really disagreeing with you. But like you said, I'm almost 100% sure that it isn't planned out. Whether it's the list of filtered words in naming, or the kickbot in chat, words get added and subtracted on a case by case basis, as they come up.

I'm sure that if a substantial amount of players began taking offense to using Gram in naming conventions, then it would eventually get added as well. But since that will never happen, it's not added and never will be.

Oh indeed. I heard the wierdest thing on TV a few days ago that is kinda related to this thing.

By the end of the year the term paralyzed is no longer seen as a politically correct term in sweden and should be avoided by people working within the medical(help) sector. It should now be refered to as the more generic term "person with reduced functionality". I mean, the world is going to hell for every new stupid idea that pops up in some peoples heads. If I was paralyzed I would want people to use that term since it would describe pretty well what I would be suffering from, making it easier for others to understand. A person with reduced functionality can be anything, so it doesnt tell you much about what they suffer from or what they can be expected to achieve in their state, nor what care they might need.

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Or possibly they're Hispanic, in which case they could use, "Hey Zeus". :wink:

Funny that you mention that...

There are still people who worship  members of both Norse and Helenic pantheons...I wonder how they feel about their deities being portrayed in popular media? 

@Joe_Barbarian

That's a little odd and I didn't know that name was banned. Even though I am christian and try not to blaspheme by invoking him lightly, I still don't entirely understand why that would be on the banned list as it's also a male first name in latin cultures.

It's like telling me Julio or Juan are banned names for pets too...Makes no sense.

Aren't there a few items who if you quote their name in chat Kickbot will give you a ban?

That should be an indicator to the people at DE that the people they're letting handle this aren't doing the right thing.

Instead, Jesus is considered profanity.

If you ever want to know why the Bitter Vets don't spend time helping people in Region, this should be a big clue. No one wants the nanny-ing.

19 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

Gram was a sword from mythology, not religion. Sigurd was a legendary character, but was still a human, even in the myths.

Generally speaking, sensitivity towards religion only extends towards the most popular or widespread religions. Old religious beliefs like Norse mythology and Irish mythology, although they have small groups of adherents in the modern era, usually are not treated as full-blown religions. Many Western institutions, when developing sensitivity and diversity protocols, will even gloss over Sikhism, because even though there are millions and millions of Sikhs, they're not considered mainstream by many.

As for the OP, one being censored and not the other is laughably inconsistent. One would almost imagine it to be the other way around, seeing how many people are named Jesus or other variants.

Religion is mythology.....

As for the OP, no religion should protected from ridicule. We should not have censorship on particular words, people need to skin up. Pathetic and weak attempt by DE to try buying into 2018's bs world of offended kinds.

7 hours ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Religion is mythology.....

As for the OP, no religion should protected from ridicule. We should not have censorship on particular words, people need to skin up. Pathetic and weak attempt by DE to try buying into 2018's bs world of offended kinds.

Polite language and civil discourse have been the norm for generations...It's only now that we see so many intent on abandoning it.

There is no company that lets the public interact with each other that doesn't have those measures in place aside from social media...Which has been steadily adopting them for years now. This makes perfect sense too because to do otherwise leaves the company potentially liable for having allowed it.

Personally, this makes perfect sense to me... But my generation is older.

I do realize in this hyper-entitled generation we live in that this notion is somewhat foreign to others though.

It's enough to say that if you can't say it in front of your Parent, Pastor, Friend's Parent, or Teacher without negative consequences then you shouldn't be saying it where it can casually be overheard.

If this concept doesn't make sense here's another... If you feel entitled to say it— then you are also entitled to be accountable for having said it.

On 2018-10-11 at 9:12 PM, Joe_Barbarian said:

A buddy of mine tried to name his Kubrow "Jesus" and DE denied the name saying "Cannot have profanity in the name." So in the spirit of science I tried to name my pet "Christ" and that was permitted ...

I mean jesus christ, really ...

That is strange I have a Kubrow called Jesus sitting in the freezer... what do I do now ? I think I made it before this rule was made (or i am from a parallel  reality)... will I get banned if I pull the animal from the freezer ? I need help to do something so i don't get into trouble.

Edited by Cosmic_Elf
updated

16 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

Polite language and civil discourse have been the norm for generations...It's only now that we see so many intent on abandoning it.

There is no company that lets the public interact with each other that doesn't have those measures in place aside from social media...Which has been steadily adopting them for years now. This makes perfect sense too because to do otherwise leaves the company potentially liable for having allowed it.

Personally, this makes perfect sense to me... But my generation is older.

I do realize in this hyper-entitled generation we live in that this notion is somewhat foreign to others though.

It's enough to say that if you can't say it in front of your Parent, Pastor, Friend's Parent, or Teacher without negative consequences then you shouldn't be saying it where it can casually be overheard.

If this concept doesn't make sense here's another... If you feel entitled to say it— then you are also entitled to be accountable for having said it.

I too am from an older generation, and I agree whole-heartedly with this.

People are no easier offended today than they have always been. It's just that people are more offensive, because they can get away with being so.

See, before we had the internet, if you wanted to be offensive to someone, you kind of had to do it to their face. Which risked getting you punched. So we tended to be polite to strangers, even when they didn't share our opinions, because if you started insulting their intelligence or calling them words, you'd probably get smacked in the face for it. And no one wanted that.

Now, people can say whatever they want from the anonymity of a Twitter account, without fear of repercussion.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Foxkid_8 said:

My mistake. I forgot that both are just as psycho as each other through history. 

Also, I use the term "hissy fit" with varying intensity. From mild tantrum up to "believe what I say or I'll hurt you".

Also, thanks for the laugh Padre, I needed that this morning.

Dude, you vastly underestimate people...

For example, Why are your comments derisive in your disbelief in religion? Not a single person here has sought to convert you to think otherwise so why all the anger?

...I'll bet you don't even realize that your comments actually make you sound like the thing you are complaining about.

FWIW, there's nothing to distinguish being religious from being non-religious, agnostic, naturalist, or even that person that thinks we are actually IN the Matrix...It's all a bias for a pattern of strongly held beliefs...Nothing wrong with that, it provides a sense of order and direction to that person's world and allows them to function with purpose.

Problems start when people feel an entitled need to impose those beliefs on others.

Lastly, since a "Hissy fit" is literally a tantrum and implies childish or ineffectual anger, you are mis-using the term.

I don't really care what derisive term you use for it in your head because I truly do not believe that if you ever caught a beating on behalf of someone else's belief you would call it a "hissy fit".

For example: "Yeah, I was ragging on this dude's yarmulke in the parking lot and he threw a hissy fit and beat me up." ... Aren't words anyone would expect to be used in the same sentence.

I, personally, don't think I would ever want to say someone threw a hissy fit and beat me up as I would find it embarrassing...But that's, apparently,  just me.