Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Jesus - Is considered profanity?

Joe_Barbarian

15 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

A buddy of mine tried to name his Kubrow "Jesus" and DE denied the name saying "Cannot have profanity in the name." So in the spirit of science I tried to name my pet "Christ" and that was permitted ...

I mean jesus christ, really ...

He's not the Messiah...he's a very naughty companion! :tongue:

Seems odd.

It cant really be to "protect" against faith bashing since plenty of people are named Jesus. It's also kinda odd since we have a frame named Loki and a sword called Gram. Both being religious icons of an old faith. So what makes Jesus an exception? Is his name more holy and "respectable" because it comes from a large popular fate that more or less decimated all others?

8 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

It's also kinda odd since we have a frame named Loki and a sword called Gram. Both being religious icons of an old faith.

Gram was a sword from mythology, not religion. Sigurd was a legendary character, but was still a human, even in the myths.

Generally speaking, sensitivity towards religion only extends towards the most popular or widespread religions. Old religious beliefs like Norse mythology and Irish mythology, although they have small groups of adherents in the modern era, usually are not treated as full-blown religions. Many Western institutions, when developing sensitivity and diversity protocols, will even gloss over Sikhism, because even though there are millions and millions of Sikhs, they're not considered mainstream by many.

As for the OP, one being censored and not the other is laughably inconsistent. One would almost imagine it to be the other way around, seeing how many people are named Jesus or other variants.

Edited by GrayArchon

33 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

Gram was a sword from mythology, not religion. Sigurd was a legendary character, but was still a human, even in the myths.

It was originally Odin's sword though, so also part of the religion. It didnt become the dragon slayer sword until after Regin reforged it. It had other powers previous to that, before Odin destroyed it, after Sigurds father had become king.

And as an addition to this censorship for pet names we also have tow chineese deities, Nezha and Wukong, both of them being mocked constantly for different reasons.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Seems odd.

It cant really be to "protect" against faith bashing since plenty of people are named Jesus. It's also kinda odd since we have a frame named Loki and a sword called Gram. Both being religious icons of an old faith. So what makes Jesus an exception? Is his name more holy and "respectable" because it comes from a large popular fate that more or less decimated all others?

Because no one would take offense to you naming your Kubrow F*** Gram. But if you swapped Gram with Jesus, people obviously would. That goes without saying.

nothing polarizes people quite like religion. in order to make sure that people don't go down that rabbit hole (more like a crater formed from a nuclear blast of hatred) anything related to the topic is usually prohibited from being mentioned. there are some people that can discuss the issue in a civilized manner, but those are few and far between and it doesn't take long for either the edgy athiest crowd or the fanatical religious crowd to start throwing stones. better to just blanket every faith out to stop any controversy happening.

it can also be argued that real-life religious beliefs have no place in video-games based around fiction, and sci-fi in particular is kind of one big contradiction to faith anyway. let's just keep to the faiths in the Warframe universe: praise the Void, Worship RNGsus or start a cult of Lootcifer!

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

Because no one would take offense to you naming your Kubrow F*** Gram. But if you swapped Gram with Jesus, people obviously would. That goes without saying.

Well no since it is an item. But at the same time I doubt a name like Crucifix-F***** would be acceptable, or any name involving crucifix in a negative way, even though it just relates to an iconic item. 

They just need to treat everything equally imo. Putting up some countermeasure towards possibly naming a space dog something that might be offensive to one certain faith while more or less ignoring the dragged out crap around another (Nezha the target of memes) kinda makes you wonder how well planned it really is.

Either there should be a zero tolerance policy or a full tolerance policy not something in between. 

I'm not saying this is a DE issue, I think it is an issue for most companies. But at the same time the major religions are just much more easily offended and cant shrug things off as a joke. So companies focus on those mostly to avoid dealing with it later on.

This whole thing also made me wonder. Is God in the WF universe called Worbuk instead?

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Well no since it is an item. But at the same time I doubt a name like Crucifix-F***** would be acceptable, or any name involving crucifix in a negative way, even though it just relates to an iconic item. 

They just need to treat everything equally imo. Putting up some countermeasure towards possibly naming a space dog something that might be offensive to one certain faith while more or less ignoring the dragged out crap around another (Nezha the target of memes) kinda makes you wonder how well planned it really is.

Either there should be a zero tolerance policy or a full tolerance policy not something in between. 

I'm not saying this is a DE issue, I think it is an issue for most companies. But at the same time the major religions are just much more easily offended and cant shrug things off as a joke. So companies focus on those mostly to avoid dealing with it later on.

This whole thing also made me wonder. Is God in the WF universe called Worbuk instead?

I'm not really disagreeing with you. But like you said, I'm almost 100% sure that it isn't planned out. Whether it's the list of filtered words in naming, or the kickbot in chat, words get added and subtracted on a case by case basis, as they come up.

I'm sure that if a substantial amount of players began taking offense to using Gram in naming conventions, then it would eventually get added as well. But since that will never happen, it's not added and never will be.

My friend has a cat named Jesus. I tried to name my first amp "baby Jesus" and it wouldn't allow me to do so. We assumed it was "baby" because like I said, his smeeta is named Jesus. He just wanted to see "Jesus has be revived" occasionally pop up on screen.