Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Damage Type Am I Dealing?!! [ANSWERED]

ShinTechG

Question

Alright, so I understand that when you deal damage, an icon to the right of the damage number is usually there to tell you what damage type you are dealing. But there are times when I see damage numbers with no icon next to them. What does that mean? How do i know what type of damage i just dealt? 

Edited by ShinTechG

10 answers to this question

Just now, ShinTechG said:

Alright, so I understand that when you deal damage, an icon to the right of the damage number is usually there to tell you what damage type you are dealing.

Yeah... you got that wrong.

If there is an icon next to the damage-number, then this exact damage-number activated a status-effect.

You are dealing the damge, that you have on your weapon.
If you have Slash, Impact and Puncture on your weapon, then your weapon is dealing Slash, Impact and Puncture damage.
Depending on the health type of the enemy, all these damage-types get a multiplier when hitting that health-type...

4 minutes ago, ShinTechG said:

Let us say my weapon has only the 3 physical damage types: IPS, are you saying it's neither?? I don't get it.

You always deal IPS damage (and elemetal if you mod it in).

If you see no icon you deal damage but don't proc an effect like slash (bleed), viral (half health), cold (slow).

So even if you have 2000 cold but 0% status chance you still deal 2000 cold damage but cannot slow the enemy

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

Just now, ShinTechG said:

Ok, so, what is this regular damage? Let us say my weapon has only the 3 physical damage types: IPS, are you saying it's neither?? I don't get it.

I could be wrong but from my understanding, the icons only show up when you actually proc something on the enemy. You can deal IPS (or elemental) damage without proccing on the enemy, in which case there would be no icon and I think there's no way to distinguish the actual damage type you've dealt.

2 minutes ago, ShinTechG said:

Thank you! Dam, i was hoping there was a way to tell. Thanks for clearing that up!

To (hopefully) clear up the last bit of this puzzle - when you're seeing the normal damage number being dealt, this is the combined total of all th damage types your weapon has dealt in this attack to this foe, taking into account any resistances to the individual types that foe may have - so this isn't dealing any one specific type, just the aggregate of (raw)-(resistances).

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Voidkraken said:

To (hopefully) clear up the last bit of this puzzle - when you're seeing the normal damage number being dealt, this is the combined total of all th damage types your weapon has dealt in this attack to this foe, taking into account any resistances to the individual types that foe may have - so this isn't dealing any one specific type, just the aggregate of (raw)-(resistances).

Really??

I thought this was labeled as false in the past and that all damage types deal their respective amount independently. 😕

You're always doing IPS damage. The sum total of the 3 damage types added is the amount of damage you will do which will be higher or lower depending on the enemy resistances. Adding elemental mods adds to the total base damage like for example you add on a cold mod you will now be dealing 4 damage types sum total. Like what VoidKraken said it's (in layman math terms): (raw total damage) - (resistances) = the amount of damage you will deal. Icons are to show what status effect of the damage type was procced. 

If you are still having trouble understanding just head on over to https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage

1 minute ago, ShadowExodus said:

You're always doing IPS damage. The sum total of the 3 damage types added is the amount of damage you will do which will be higher or lower depending on the enemy resistances. Adding elemental mods adds to the total base damage like for example you add on a cold mod you will now be dealing 4 damage types sum total. Like what VoidKraken said it's (in layman math terms): (raw total damage) - (resistances) = the amount of damage you will deal. Icons are to show what status effect of the damage type was procced. 

If you are still having trouble understanding just head on over to https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage

Thanks I was reading that page at the same time already and needed some clarification here. But I get it now. Thanks!