Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Future of PS4

(PSN)Herculxs

With PS5 release becoming more of a reality, the future of the PS4 community comes into question.

Players that have invested a lot of time and money would be more comfortable if our future was more certain.

Knowing whether or not there will be cross play or the ability to transfer account to another platform are examples of what would ease PS4 player's concerns.

Clan leaders like myself would also like the ability to transfer our clans if transferring to another platform is possible.

I know it is early but that is why I am making this topic now. DE would need to prepare and have plans for new console releases.

Edited by (PS4)Herculxs

My main concern is that all the time spent on a 5 yearold clan will be reduced to nothing with the creation of the next gen consoles. Not only would would the old event trophies go away but so would ignis wraith on the new consoles(unless it’s rereleased of course)

Edited by (PS4)turbodart

PS5 stuff is all just rumor mill. It's not worth it to grow concerns or anxiety about it...

Especially since the current version of consoles are really, really plenty powerful and can already deliver stunning visuals. I think if Sony were to announce "Playstation 5" and Microsoft were to announce "XBox Two," they would flop. Hard. Very, very, very hard. Especially since the driving factor that led to the PS3/360's and the PS4/One's development was the significant gap between fidelity of PC gaming and Console gaming (PC games had pulled far, far ahead of consoles when the PS2/Xbox and PS3/360 were approaching the end of their service lifetimes). Yes, many PC games do offer better visuals than console games, but the gap between fidelity of the games is nowhere near extreme enough for developing/announcing of the next generation of consoles to occur... Hell, there are some PS4 games that do some real black magic with graphics, that wind up looking better than what my PC's GTX 1080 can provide (Dad of War I'm looking at you, I don't know how you look so good but I'm determined to discover your dark secrets).

Moreover, considering that consoles have now effectively merged with PC based architecture (x86 processors, specifically) and that most (if not all) GPUs nowadays are pretty much all compatible at a driver/API level when interfacing with an x86 processor...

The PS5 is most likely just going to be a PS4-Pro-Pro... or a PS4 with beefier hardware/newer look mainly designed to support larger TVs with higher resolution or better framerates... similar to what the PS4 Pro was to the PS4. Since the processor architecture will be the same, all PS4 games will be playable on later consoles because there would be little to no effort required to make it compatible on the new hardware (versus PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility with PS4, where the game either has to be re-coded to run on x86 processors or the PS4 has to run a software based emulator of the older processors to run the game).

Since the introduction of the PS4 Pro (and the XBox One X), the video game console trend has begun leaning more and more towards PC-style trends of hardware upgrades while maintaining software compatibility--sans the modular style of being able to upgrade piecemeal (though that trend may one day change too). 

13 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

PS5 stuff is all just rumor mill. It's not worth it to grow concerns or anxiety about it...

I have roughly 5k hours played and invested a lot into the game. I would like to know (I'm sure other long time players) would like to know there is a plan B. We wouldn't want our time, effort and loyalty to the game to go to waste.

Rumor or not, it'll effect all PS4 gaming communities.

Edited by (PS4)Herculxs

47 minutes ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

With PS5 release becoming more of a reality, the future of the PS4 community comes into question.

Players that have invested a lot of time and money would be more comfortable if our future was more certain.

Knowing whether or not there will be cross play or the ability to transfer account to another platform are examples of what would ease PS4 player's concerns.

Clan leaders like myself would also like the ability to transfer our clans if transferring to another platform is possible.

I know it is early but that is why I am making this topic now. DE would need to prepare and have plans for new console releases.

Your account, and therefore "progress", is saved with DE.

The ball is really in Sony's court here. All Sony need to do is say "cool beans" to keeping the account tied to the PS account when the PS5 rolls around; which you'd assume they'd have no qualms with as it essentially ensures the retention of a potential user.

*full disclaimer because internet* This is essentially the TL;DR version...

6 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Your account, and therefore "progress", is saved with DE.

The ball is really in Sony's court here. All Sony need to do is say "cool beans" to keeping the account tied to the PS account when the PS5 rolls around; which you'd assume they'd have no qualms with as it essentially ensures the retention of a potential user.

*full disclaimer because internet* This is essentially the TL;DR version...

The ball being in Sony's court is kinda the problem. Games' (including Warframe) future pretty much depend on Sony's move. Sony is a company that will do whatever gets it the most money. So whether or not cross play between PS4 and ps5 is unknown, whether or not DE allowing platform transfer is unknown. 

IF ps5 comes out then a pretty safe assumption would be it'll split the PS4 Warframe community pretty hard.

I have more faith in DE to save the PS4 community than Sony doing the right thing.

10 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Can someone explain how the theoretical PS5 would be a different platform from PS4? So much so that Sony considers its own new product so sacred that games made for PS4 would not be allowed to simply be moved over to it?

So when PS4 came out you kept the same  Sony account from ps3. But ps3 and PS4 couldn't play together. Call of duty ghost for example, it was available on both but they couldn't play with each other.

I have zero clue how this would effect Warframe which is why I am concerned.

Edited by (PS4)Herculxs

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

Sony is a company that will do whatever gets it the most money

As was learned by Microsoft at the start of this generation; that starting message is highly influential in how people see your product. Someone at Sony would need to goof pretty hard to take all that they did right with the PS4 launch, and turn it a complete 180.

Warframe was a launch title for PS4, and one of the few that bypassed Sony's online subscription fees - giving its millions of players a potentially great game to consume for nothing. With Warframe more popular now, than at launch, having Warframe launch positively alongside your new product would be more positive, than negative.

If there are issues, they'd more likely be oversight than maliciousness.

Sony probably wants you to move to the PS5 sooner rather than later anyways, and would likely make exceptions just to save face (for want of a better expression) if there were any controversy. 

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

I have more faith in DE to save the PS4 community than Sony doing the right thing.

DE can't really do anything. If Sony says PS5 accounts constitute a "new account" then DE can only oblige - or work with Sony to migrate (Since it would be Sony to Sony and not any thing else - which tends to be the sticking point). 

As for cross play. There's no real reason Sony wouldn't allow it - at least for games released within the launch period. But again, that's all Sony. DE can't do anything for that, just as they can't do anything for it now.

4 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Can someone explain how the theoretical PS5 would be a different platform from PS4? So much so that Sony considers its own new product so sacred that games made for PS4 would not be allowed to simply be moved over to it?

x86 is not a prolific gaming architecture. You would assume that one of the prevailing reasons to adopt it for a "gaming" machine would be the forward compatibility.

But it wouldn't inherently be a 1:1 match. While the CPU might be fine there will be internal timings that could throw the game off, saying nothing for the GPU which may may not be GCN based.

Sony will probably offer some OS layer that will facilitate running PS4 titles on PS5's so that there isn't any issue. But having said that, if you can re-compile your title for the PS5, that would probably be Sony's recommendation. 

6 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

DE can't really do anything.

I don't think that is totally true tho. DE could probably transfer PS4 accounts to PC. I'm assuming DE owns that data and not Sony.

I believe transfer from PC to console was possible at one point, so I don't see why they can't do it the other way.

Also, IF PS5 comes out then most likely Xbox will also have a new gen. Do u really think DE would want to do updates for 5 different platforms? I know it doesn't matter what DE wants, but I bet DE would encourage transferring to PC if it made their lives easier in the long run.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

I don't think that is totally true tho. DE could probably transfer PS4 accounts to PC. I'm assuming DE owns that data and not Sony.

I believe transfer from PC to console was possible at one point, so I don't see why they can't do it the other way.

This will violate the terms of their contract, and is why DE can't just freely move accounts between PS, Xbox, Switch etc.

As moves go, this would guarantee no Warframe at all on PS5. Which isn't ideal.

You can't just give a contractual partner the proverbial 'middle finger' and expect to get off scot free.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

Also, IF PS5 comes out then most likely Xbox will also have a new gen. Do u really think DE would want to do updates for 5 different platforms? I know it doesn't matter what DE wants, but I bet DE would encourage transferring to PC if it made their lives easier in the long run.

DE will just need to recompile their game for the target platform. As i said, its x86 to x86 with most compatibility being from the GPU. So in this regard, platform specific optimisations will be more or less the same.

As it stands now, optimisations made for switch make their way back up to the PC build. 

As for the profile, thats saved with DE, regardless of platform. As said above, DE are bound to contractual obligations regarding the platform the account is tied to.

52 minutes ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

So when PS4 came out you kept the same  Sony account from ps3. But ps3 and PS4 couldn't play together. Call of duty ghost for example, it was available on both but they couldn't play with each other.

I have zero clue how this would effect Warframe which is why I am concerned.

PS3 and PS4 were entirely different beasts. A PS5 at any near point in time would be a heavy spec bump.

51 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

x86 is not a prolific gaming architecture.

This is a joke, right?

16 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

This will violate the terms of their contract, and is why DE can't just freely move accounts between PS, Xbox, Switch etc.

As moves go, this would guarantee no Warframe at all on PS5. Which isn't ideal.

You can't just give a contractual partner the proverbial 'middle finger' and expect to get off scot free.

I agree.

However, with a new gen console it would have a high probability to split the player population overtime. Cut the population, 50% on PS4 and 50% on PS5 (or however you like to cut it). IF a new gen console comes then PS4 Warframe players leaving to PS5 would hurt the PS4 Warframe community. A year after a new gen, how many players do u honestly think would stay? Two years? Three years? Old consoles die after New gens are released, which is why no one is playing ps3 these days. I know from experience because I played ps3 for a year after PS4 release and it was brutal to ps3 communities.

I only see three possibilities. 

1) allow crossplay 

2) allow acc transfer to either PC or PS5 (although I find it ridiculous I'd have to pay 600$ on a new console to remain in an active community that has a future)

3) Sony and DE leave us stranded to rot in a shrinking community.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Herculxs said:

I agree.

However, with a new gen console it would have a high probability to split the player population overtime. Cut the population, 50% on PS4 and 50% on PS5 (or however you like to cut it). IF a new gen console comes then PS4 Warframe players leaving to PS5 would hurt the PS4 Warframe community. A year after a new gen, how many players do u honestly think would stay? Two years? Three years? Old consoles die after New gens are released, which is why no one is playing ps3 these days. I know from experience because I played ps3 for a year after PS4 release and it was brutal to ps3 communities.

This tends to be how it goes sadly. Its why there is a new generation in the first place. 

This gen may be different, however. As I say, it's x86 to x86 so you could just think of the ps4 as a low power pc vs the ps5 which would be the high end pc. 

Whether Sony want to portray their lineup this way remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

This is a joke, right?

Not sure. If you read it as "not prolific" == "utter garbage" then you'd be on your own. 

If read as said, then no. Very few games (if any) use avx256 (for example). For a dedicated "games" console, you could do very well with any risc architecture. The jaguar cores (for example) are a woeful x86 design for the form factor that was targeted. 

But as I say, x86 had its reasons for being favoured. Forward compatibility, and the fact it is the defacto standard, were probably significant reason to favour it. 

I really don't think we will see a new console until more like 2021. And I think the way new consoles present themselves is changing. We will probably be seeing releases more like the PS4 pro. Incremental hardware upgrades rather than full top-to-bottom redesigns. Communities will have a range of visual quality but it won't remove their ability to play together. If cloud computing becomes a bigger component, even hardware upgrades will become largely unnecessary.

In my opinion, there is no reason for alarm about our future. Certainly not this early at least.