The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Primary For Nova?

EganMC

Question

Now, make sure to read this.

My Nova is currently equipped with a Spectra, for her Antimatter Drop, and Hate, because I like it.

However, considering I only really want to use Spectra for Antimatter Drop and maybe a few tight squeezes with Infested, I'd like an all rounder mid-long range weapon that can cover me against Grineer and Corpus while not blowing out all it's rounds.

I already have the Paris, Dera and the Strun Wraith, but can make any primary weapon at the moment, even primes.

So feel free to recommend whatever you see fit.

The reason I only have the Paris and the Strun Wraith is because that's all my Warframes demand at the moment.

The one I have currently in consideration is the Braton Prime, but I've never used it, so I don't know how it fares late game.

Cheers.

25 answers to this question

5 forma flux antimatter drop 4ever

Already got the Spectra, yo.

Also, preferably a Mid-Long range weapon. The flux seems a bit short.

Also, 2 LASERS?

:D I was about to say the same :D

>_<

Go back in time and win a Vandaltron.

Kbrb

Although hoping for a Mid-Long range weapon.

Edited by EganMC

Anything with a high damage output, not only do these weapons coincide with Anti-matter drop but also make beautiful babies with Mol. Prime, (I recommend the Latron Prime if the damage rework in U10 is going to do anything, This and other longer ranged weapons have good synergy with Despair as the lack of travel time, and the larger zoom is compensated by Null Star.) but....maybe Boar Prime? 

Hope it helped ^_^

Spectra is really bad though, horribly ammo inefficent. Base DPS of the Spectra is 80/s, while Flux is 200/s, flux has higher range, bigger clip, more extra ammo. Even if the Spectra has better mods, both with max damage mods, the Spectra barely reaches about half the DPS of the Flux. Get to rank 7 and get an Acrid for your secondary, and there you go, perfect setup.

Spectra is really bad though, horribly ammo inefficent. Base DPS of the Spectra is 80/s, while Flux is 200/s, flux has higher range, bigger clip, more extra ammo. Even if the Spectra has better mods, both with max damage mods, the Spectra barely reaches about half the DPS of the Flux. Get to rank 7 and get an Acrid for your secondary, and there you go, perfect setup.

Well I would've, but I prefer to leave the Primary slot open, as during void missions I like to get a few shots in at a large distance. The Acrid just doesn't compensate for my wish of long range + a short range Drop weapon.

I only ever use the Spectra for drop, which is fine, because it's secondary. I wish for a mid-long range primary to compensate.

Edited by EganMC

Acrid or Twin Vipers...maybe Bronco prime as secondary. Then Flux Rifle for most other occasions. I don't know how far away you need to go to suit your style.
The thing with Flux is of course the armor ignore and how easy it is to aim. With the overhaul perhaps a sniperrifle like the Vandal/Vulkar will be an option. Latron P too. If you want something faster Braton P should do the trick. It's fairly accurate and has the highest damage of the Bratons.

Ogris + Acrid is rather usefull right now.

Quite a few things that plays in to what gun you might like.

Let me ask you something: why do you use spectra on antimatter drop if the serrated blade damage become laser ?

...What?

If the serrated blade damage become laser?

Also, I use the Spectra because I want a free slot for my Primary, considering I only plan on using the Spectra for Antimatter Drop, thanks to it's quick damage output, and whenever Antimatter Drop reaches the end of the Spectra's range, I'm usually done charging it.

Acrid or Twin Vipers...maybe Bronco prime as secondary. Then Flux Rifle for most other occasions. I don't know how far away you need to go to suit your style.

The thing with Flux is of course the armor ignore and how easy it is to aim. With the overhaul perhaps a sniperrifle like the Vandal/Vulkar will be an option. Latron P too. If you want something faster Braton P should do the trick. It's fairly accurate and has the highest damage of the Bratons.

Ogris + Acrid is rather usefull right now.

Quite a few things that plays in to what gun you might like.

I'm hoping on a Primary Weapon that can sort out the shortcomings rangewise of my Secondary, without being an ammo eater.

But something mid-long range is preferable.

I'd rather not a whole fix to my loadout.

...What?

If the serrated blade damage become laser?

Also, I use the Spectra because I want a free slot for my Primary, considering I only plan on using the Spectra for Antimatter Drop, thanks to it's quick damage output, and whenever Antimatter Drop reaches the end of the Spectra's range, I'm usually done charging it.

The Spectra inflicts Serrated Blade type damage, it's where its dps comes from, it's armor ignore damage and it inflicts X3 damage to unarmored targets.

The Antimatter Drop inflicts Laser damage, be it the base or the charge through a weapon.

Use Twin Vipers or other high dps burst Bullet type secondary if you exclusively use it for Antimatter Drop, you will be better off.

The Spectra inflicts Serrated Blade type damage, it's where its dps comes from, it's armor ignore damage and it inflicts X3 damage to unarmored targets.

The Antimatter Drop inflicts Laser damage, be it the base or the charge through a weapon.

Use Twin Vipers or other high dps burst Bullet type secondary if you exclusively use it for Antimatter Drop, you will be better off.

I see.

How about Despair then?

This has been covered, but briefly - The Spectra is utter trash. There is no practical situation you should be equipping this gun in, except leveling it once. It's so bad that you'd be better off not having a secondary than using it, despite secondary being the most 'powerful' slot in terms of DPS. Further, you're avoiding even using the damage type, which is one of its marginal benefits. This is in short why people are reacting this way.

That said, to provide a direct answer to your question - while there is no end game gun which fits the precise criteria you want, the Lanka might be worth a look. It's not the 'best' primary for Nova (that belongs to Flux), but it comes somewhat close to your parameters. The only gun that would really fit exactly what you want is the Snipetron Vandal I'm afraid.

Edit: The Braton Prime is a gorgeous gun, and falls off slower than most. However, it is not designed for end game.

Edited by TemetNosce

The thing with Ogris is that it cannot be used in short range, therefor you'll need a secondary that can be used at that range. Spectra is too weak to really work well (imo) thus combining it with ogris isn't optimal.
Nova also being a light frame Melee is perhaps more of a last resort.

Latron P has the range and ammo conservation, it's slightly faster than a sniper but will require good aim (headshots) in order to be any good due to the damage output (outgunned by secondaries). It's also not suitable for close quarter combat and may also be very tiering for your fingers on a def map.

Lanka/Snipetron Vandal (vulkar): Good aim, and a system without lag (Lanka). These guns can do damage, Lanka probably being the most bad &amp;#&#33;. It is one target at a time though, and even with puncture groups of enemies may be challenging.

Braton P: slap on anything and a ammo mutation mod?

*this is with the damage overhaul in mind. Armor is a huge factor in higher levels.

Edited by Lactamid

Thanks so much to everyone for their input.

I suppose the Spectra isn't the greatest at fueling antimatter drop then. I've been able to, with enough effort, get very large numbers with the Drop and the Spectra, so I always assumed that was a decent way to fuel it. Especially since I hardly need to aim at all. Also, akamikeb suggested the Spectra for Drop use, and he's been relatively correct on everything else, so I took his word for it. Then again, this may be pre-update. I joined Warframe post-update 9, and while I'm decently advanced, I'm no pro.

So, my final question will be just this.

What do you recommend for my loadout?

I've already heard positive things about the Flux, is this because it's good for the Drop or just good in general?

And maybe a sniper of sorts to compensate for a short ranged secondary.

Or would something else be preferable?

And what about the pistol slot? Should I use the Acrid? Or perhaps Despair?

Tell me what you think.

About AM Drop, it's a skill that multiplies absorbed damage by four. So yes, the Spectra will work, but on the other hand, most other guns would work better. For comparison's sake, I've hit over 200k using AM Drop. Admittedly you aren't likely to see numbers past 200k unless you're specifically trying for them, far less need them, but it's a skill which can produce truly obscene results in certain situations.

As far as my personal recommendations, I'd first note that long range gun play is a borderline myth in Warframe. It simply is infrequent to the point of being near irrelevant. Instead I'd suggest focusing on situations which are likely to come up. For that, I'd suggest looking to the Flux Rifle for your primary, as it has more than enough DPS to deal with disposing of normal enemies, has serrated blade damage, and is perfectly accurate. The Acrid for secondary (because, well, it's hard to argue with a gun that outDPSes everything else by multiple hundreds of percent), and if you really care about melee perhaps the Orthos Prime for charge DPS I suppose.

I see.

How about Despair then?

I'm not too sure about that, the Despair in itself is a solid weapon but it does inflict Armor Piercing damage type so the same problem could happen.

Better go onto the wiki and crunch up the numbers by yourself to see what weapon would be best in your case, considering the base damage type of the weapon is irrelevant with AD, then it's only a question of raw numbers.

EDIT: One thing, does the Acrid tick on an Antimatter Drop ?

If not and if the OP wish still to use secondary mainly for AD purpose, then it's a waste.

And what about critical ?

If a bullet can crit on an AD, then perhaps the Lex would be a good choice, properly modded it would still make AD a big nuke and as it is really ammo efficient it would also offer sniping power too; basically OP would have primary and secondary in one slot for what he want out of it.

I'm not so sure about but it seems an option, it's to be investigated.

Edited by Kitzun

Thanks for the advice.

I think in the end I'll go

Flux Rifle

Acrid

WhateverIwantprobablyhatecauseIdonthaveOrthosPrimeYet

I don't plan on only using the Secondary for AD, that was the method when I still had the Spectra, because aside from slaughtering very small groups of enemies, I saw little use to it. 

I think I'll just throw out an AD then pump as much of the Flux as I can into it and see how that fares.

If not, I always have the Acrid.

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. 48 Hours till U10? Alright, I'll just wait a tad :)

Lanka + Antimatter drop is my favorite AD combination. Fast and accurate, and you can see the shot hit the globe so you know prettymuch exactly how much damage you're going to do to targets. 1-2 shots from lanka = 4-8 shots worth of damage in explosions, and not much will survive that