The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Idea] The Odachi As An Alternate Gram Skin.

__Kanade__

This an old weapon used by Samurai during Feudal Japan. The sword itself is called an Odachi which means Large or Great Sword. but when used in battle it was called a No Dachi which has the same meaning pretty much, the Samurai who wielded this sword simply became No Dachi Samurai. The Odachi is pretty much an overgrown Katana.

I know alot of people want to see a reskin of the Gram to look more like the design of the Scindo, but it never hurts to add some history like the Odachi just like how some of us would also like to see a traditional Katana as a skin alternative for the Skana.

Just an idea.

fej80x.jpg

Because there are too many melee weapons as it stands. 

I would say if it has modifiers as a skin that it would logically increase the charge speed or swing speed, but lose some range on the slam attack. 

this ^

and i'd be happy if the skin have custom animation too.

and for the appearance, i think a bit futurization (?) or .. maybe a bit modification to fit the "distant future" theme to the sword would be sweet, tho i don't mind the exact classic appearance.

Edited by Adagio

Because there are too many melee weapons as it stands. 

I would say if it has modifiers as a skin that it would logically increase the charge speed or swing speed, but lose some range on the slam attack.

Gram is rather short and fast, that sword is very long. Lose range and faster swingspeed?

Why a skin? New weapon ftw...

We have too many melee weapons as it is and hardly any skins, much less skins with stat changes. The Dagger Axe skins for the Scindo and Zoren are just that, skins, no stat modifications, but they do add a nice touch if you ever get bored of their original looks.

Dual Zorens Dagger Axe skin make them look longer but have the same range though.

Gram has the opportunity to change its bland look to something more "Great Sword" like. Scindo and Fragor already have skins that not only change their appearance, but also have stat changes, so it's almost like a new weapon. 

The Scindo however has been spoiled, it's the only weapon with 2 alternate skins while the Gram, being the only 2-handed weapon has yet to receive even one alternate skin much less a redesign to its current look so that it actually looks different than the Plasma Sword.

Brand new weapons need to be put on hold, best to work on the current ones, especially with the much needed buff for longswords.

Edited by __Kanade__

We have too many melee weapons as it is and hardly any skins, much less skins with stat changes. The Dagger Axe skins for the Scindo and Zoren are just that, skins, no stat modifications, but they do add a nice touch if you ever get bored of their original looks.

Dual Zorens Dagger Axe skin make them look longer but have the same range though.

Gram has the opportunity to change its bland look to something more "Great Sword" like. Scindo and Fragor already have skins that not only change their appearance, but also have stat changes, so it's almost like a new weapon. 

The Scindo however has been spoiled, it's the only weapon with 2 alternate skins while the Gram, being the only 2-handed weapon has yet to receive even one alternate skin much less a redesign to its current look so that it actually looks different than the Plasma Sword.

Brand new weapons need to be put on hold, best to work on the current ones, especially with the much needed buff for longswords.

Too many? We can't even get half way to a rank 30 account...

hmm. this was confusing me when i read the title, then saw the picture. but i'd only ever heard it called by No Dachi. as soon as you said that i totally understood. 

at any rate, sure, i could see this as Gram. it's not exactly what i'd like for Gram, as i've never been that big of a fan of the handles of Samurai swords, but the blades are certainly great. 

the mention that it should probably be futured up a bit before being in the game, does ring true though. it would look a bit outdated in Warframe.

simply giving the leading edge a bit of glow and maybe a couple other small light points would certainly fix that ;)

as long as that skin doesn't get a lightbulb on the leading edge. i have Gram colorized to look like fluorescent bulbs because it's funny, but it's also dumb.

Gram is rather short and fast, that sword is very long. Lose range and faster swingspeed?

Gram is designed to effectively work like... Gram.

it's a Greatsword. Gram is certainly lighter and faster than a battle axe or battle hammer, but well, of course it is. 

and Gram doesn't have short range, it's not as far as Orthos, but Orthos is (supposed to) revolve around range, and lots of it - while sacrificing some other things (which it doesn't do, faster charge time, higher damage, and higher range than the other heavier melee's - wut). Gram has average range for the class of weapon it is. you can reach about a body length, that's pretty accurate for a Greatsword.

lastly, i think weapon skins having stats will have the same issue occour as Alternate helmets have recently hit. people want to have the thing that they prefer, but end up torn because the thing they want for looks, has stats they don't want. 

just as what may happen to Alternate helmets, in that stats may be entirely removed from all of these visual options in favor for just having a sort of tree of bonuses to choose from, which i think sounds good. choose between + this and - that, or just none if you don't like any of them.

i've never been that big of a fan of the handles of Samurai swords,

But it does make the weapon very comfortable to hold, I have a Katana, even though it's just a replica, the string used in the design of the handle feels like your wearing gloves, it won't slip out of your hands, I can't imagine just how much more comfortable it would be if I had a real Katana with the same fabric and such used on the handles. Not sure if that's what it was originally intended for other than to symbolize the weapon is of Japanese origin.

Edited by __Kanade__

• 2 weeks later...

Gram is an archtypical European-style two-handed sword. It is nothing like a Odachi and it would look really stupid to use an Odachi with Gram's animations: they are far too slow and clunky for such a weapon. It needs to be it's own weapon with it's own set of animations.

Gram is an archtypical European-style two-handed sword. It is nothing like a Odachi and it would look really stupid to use an Odachi with Gram's animations: they are far too slow and clunky for such a weapon. It needs to be it's own weapon with it's own set of animations.

Gram has the same animation set as Fragor and Scindo. Even European two-handed swords look silly with Gram's animations.

Also, the implication that something like a great sword is slower or clunkier than an odachi is erroneous.

Air resistance doesn't do much for swords.

Mass certainly does, and most people grossly over estimate the weight of these weapons.

Clunkier? Of ourse! Have you picked one up?

I've owned and spared with a few.

I certainly wouldn't consider the typical two-handed greatsword intended for combat (as opposed to oversized ones for ceremonial or decorative use) a "clunky" weapon, certainly not relative to a giant odachi.

There are really very few clunky weapons that ever saw significant use. Plenty of clunky art though.

If it's over 5.5 pounds, the chances of it being a real weapon are almost non-existent.

I've never held a great sword recreation or museum piece that was indisputably used or designed for combat that weighed more than six pounds, and most are around 3-4 pounds.

You own a piece of art, not a weapon.