Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Current Shield mode should have damage reduction, not full immunity.

ADirtyMonk

It's pretty well known that Current Shield (aka Riot Shield mode) costs way too much for what it does. Casting cost + secondary/melee/archgun only + decreased movement speed + Small defense area compared to a normal shield + energy cost to run with it per distance + timed duration. Apparently DE think's that's balanced and fine and its here to stay. I've not seen one used in the wild for months so I am suggesting 2 changes to Current Shield to make it a bit more palatable to players.

1. Replace the 100% damage absorb with 95 to 99% damage reduction. This is not a nerf. From personal experience playing with it, the drain per distance is the major factor limiting the use of the shield since it simultaneously shuts off all other methods of energy regeneration aside from orbs and effectively shuts off Rage/Hunter adrenaline unless the player is getting shot in the back. Damage reduction would allow Volt players the chance to use Rage or Hunter adrenaline to offset the cost of carrying it around. Ideally I would like for the shield to limit the max amount of damage volt can take from one attack (ex. the hardest an attack can hit volt is 100hp) but that would probably require actual effort to implement.

2. Currently the shield is physically held a small distance in front of the player. This causes some enemy attacks to bypass the shield if Volt is too close to the enemy. This is more of an issue with melee volt users. Baruuk's Elude does not have this problem since the effect appears to radiate from the warframe itself. Current shield should work in a similar manner for Volt when held..

Edited by ADirtyMonk

21 minutes ago, ADirtyMonk said:

This is not a nerf.

This is a nerf. Nerfs aren't inherently bad, but this is a nerf.

22 minutes ago, ADirtyMonk said:

but that would probably require actual effort to implement.

Really sell the idea to the devs by mocking them. A+ effort. Maybe if you put actual effort into this idea, it would come out better.

i agree with #2.

however the only way #1 makes sense is if you use Rage, and therefore..... you would be making Rage mandatory for Volts to use the mobile Elec Shield?
would it perform better? yes. but making Mods a requirement is.... not how things should be done.

• Like 2

I use Volt’s shields constantly, but I never pick them up. This change would make me pick them up even less. Not taking any damage if you place/use your shields appropriately is the entire point of the ability. 

Like if the energy cost is so prohibitive, then the solution is directly making it more manageable, not forcing you to use a mod that otherwise does not benefit Volt with his current playstyle.