Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please make Ignoring someone clear messages from them

Horyzon

My clan chat isn't very active, so it's been displaying a private message from some jackass telling me to kill myself for like an hour now even though I ignored this person quickly after they sent that message. Apparently I have to close and restart the game just to get rid of that message.

Please make it so that ignoring someone purges chat messages from them in Clan chat. Their messages should still be visible in the private message window though, in case it's necessary to screenshot or report them. 

Edited by Horyzon

JuSt ReStArT tHe GaMe. 

Yeah you are all very useful parroting the "solution" I already said is available in my original post. I did, thanks.

But yes it is annoying to have a message of someone you already ignored telling you to kill yourself every time the game defaults to clan chat. And having to quit out the whole damn game shouldn't be the only solution. It's a minor improvement that shouldn't be too hard to implement, but in the rare circumstances where it is relevant it should be quite an improvement.

And no if it stays in private messages it is not necessary at all for it to also stay in clan chat because you can still just open up the private message window and the chat history is visible (I tested this).

5 minutes ago, Horyzon said:

JuSt ReStArT tHe GaMe. 

Yeah you are all very useful parroting the "solution" I already said is available in my original post. I did, thanks.

But yes it is annoying to have a message of someone you already ignored telling you to kill yourself every time the game defaults to clan chat. And having to quit out the whole damn game shouldn't be the only solution. It's a minor improvement that shouldn't be too hard to implement, but in the rare circumstances where it is relevant it should be quite an improvement.

And no if it stays in private messages it is not necessary at all for it to also stay in clan chat because you can still just open up the private message window and the chat history is visible (I tested this).

If you know it is a solution, and you know why it exists, why are you providing an additional "solution"? One that, in some cases, is actually going to be far worse. Let's say I am a Clan Moderator, and I ignore someone because they say something rude, but not necessarily reportable. Now all their chat messages are purged, including ones I may have not seen. This is definitely a far worse implementation, and to me it makes more sense to have someone's dirty laundry aired out at all times. It let's us know who is who, and who we need to keep checks on. It seems to me you are more or less just venting because somebody told you to do something (which they shouldn't have said anyways).

Furthermore, if you are taking anything that seriously (in a rated Mature game, for that matter), you probably should take a break and relax or something. People tell me to go commit sudoku all the time. Move on. Report them, ignore them, be done with it. 

Again, they are parroting it because this is not the first time an individual has mentioned this. In addition, this is the GENERAL forums. FEEDBACK is where this thread probably should have gone to begin with, as you are making a suggestion.

If you really want serious feedback, send it to the appropriate forums, or even PM the staff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SyBuhr said:

If you know it is a solution, and you know why it exists, why are you providing an additional "solution"? One that, in some cases, is actually going to be far worse. Let's say I am a Clan Moderator, and I ignore someone because they say something rude, but not necessarily reportable. Now all their chat messages are purged, including ones I may have not seen. This is definitely a far worse implementation, and to me it makes more sense to have someone's dirty laundry aired out at all times. It let's us know who is who, and who we need to keep checks on. It seems to me you are more or less just venting because somebody told you to do something (which they shouldn't have said anyways).

Furthermore, if you are taking anything that seriously (in a rated Mature game, for that matter), you probably should take a break and relax or something. People tell me to go commit sudoku all the time. Move on. Report them, ignore them, be done with it. 

Again, they are parroting it because this is not the first time an individual has mentioned this. In addition, this is the GENERAL forums. FEEDBACK is where this thread probably should have gone to begin with, as you are making a suggestion.

If you really want serious feedback, send it to the appropriate forums, or even PM the staff. 

1. This is Forums > Feedback > General. How is this not where this post should have gone? I went to the website, saw the FAQ on where to give feedback.. and here I am.

2. I was referring to PRIVATE messages sent by someone NOT in my clan. Perhaps I didn't clarify this explicitly, though I feel it is strongly implied. The private message showed up in my clan chat for like an hour before I finally had enough of seeing it and had to restart my game. Yes I came here to vent because that was a lousy thing to have to do.

3. I'm offering up this suggestion because the only "solution" currently available stinks. Why should I have to quit out of the whole game just to clear a chat message? That's absurd.

4. I did move on. Or I tried to! I got sick of seeing that message staring at me for like an hour. 

You do however have something of a valid point. How about a compromise:

Give players the option to manually purge the chat messages from someone.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Horyzon said:

1. This is Forums > Feedback > General. How is this not where this post should have gone? I went to the website, saw the FAQ on where to give feedback.. and here I am.

2. I was referring to PRIVATE messages sent by someone NOT in my clan. Perhaps I didn't clarify this explicitly, though I feel it is strongly implied. The private message showed up in my clan chat for like an hour before I finally had enough of seeing it and had to restart my game. Yes I came here to vent because that was a lousy thing to have to do.

3. I'm offering up this suggestion because the only "solution" currently available stinks. Why should I have to quit out of the whole game just to clear a chat message? That's absurd.

4. I did move on. Or I tried to! I got sick of seeing that message staring at me for like an hour. 

You do however have something of a valid point. How about a compromise:

Give players the option to manually purge the chat messages from someone.

1. You're right. I am mistaken. In my stupor I must have thought myself in General Discussion. That said, this might be a UI thing. Again, if all else fails, you can always send a DM to the staff and see their response. A lot of stuff gets mentioned in the heat of something, and sometimes good, decent feedback gets lost.

2. Private message windows can be closed out of, if that is the case. Although I think I understand your point on PM messages being viewed in other chats (outside of that individual's). I am unsure as to why you would want to communicate afterwards with somebody who told you something awful, but you do you. If it is a friend (and I mean a Real Life friend), then you both should be comfortable and mature enough to move past that experience. 

3.See 2.

I think I found a solution, though it isn't exactly clear what this setting does, as there is no flavor-text (so many people forget about it).

Basically, Uncheck Inline Private Messages under the CHAT tab in settings. This will prevent further PMs from showing up in all tabs.

Edit NOTE: This will NOT purge messages, per-say. But it will prevent new ones. So it is more of a half-fix if anything.

Edited by SyBuhr
Added a Notice.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Echoes said:

On the other side, this would make sense since banning a player from game chat does delete all their messages.

What is the difference between banning a player from a chat and from your life? None as I see it.

The only thing I'll mention on that specific front, is that I am unsure if the ban purges all messages from all chats. If that is the case, then they would have to be careful with implementing something similar (most people copy-paste code for ease of use, obviously). 

You can't really ban someone from your life, outside of a restraining order and 24/7 surveillance. Even then, people (from my experience) tend to remember the worst things others have said to them, rather than the positive events.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SyBuhr said:

1. You're right. I am mistaken. In my stupor I must have thought myself in General Discussion. That said, this might be a UI thing. Again, if all else fails, you can always send a DM to the staff and see their response. A lot of stuff gets mentioned in the heat of something, and sometimes good, decent feedback gets lost.

2. Private message windows can be closed out of, if that is the case. Although I think I understand your point on PM messages being viewed in other chats (outside of that individual's). I am unsure as to why you would want to communicate afterwards with somebody who told you something awful, but you do you. If it is a friend (and I mean a Real Life friend), then you both should be comfortable and mature enough to move past that experience. 

3.See 2.

I think I found a solution, though it isn't exactly clear what this setting does, as there is no flavor-text (so many people forget about it).

Basically, Uncheck Inline Private Messages under the CHAT tab in settings. This will prevent further PMs from showing up in all tabs.

Edit NOTE: This will NOT purge messages, per-say. But it will prevent new ones. So it is more of a half-fix if anything.

Wait what? I don't want to further communicate with that person. That is why I ignored them. I wanted them and all their messages gone so I could move on to more important matters.. like staring at a blank wall if I felt like it. 

Let me try to clarify this, again. 

I was in a random group with this random jackass who is not in my clan or in any other way even loosely associated with me.

They were being hostile to someone else for no real reason. I tell them to "calm down" and leave the group after mission was completed (like every random group ever). This jackass Private Messages me telling me not to tell him to calm down and to kill myself.

I Ignore them, which succeeds in preventing further harassment (they were still going).. but an hour later their private message in bold pink letters is still in my clan chat telling me to kill myself. I now have to quit out of the game to clear that chat message.

F__. That.

And no I don't want to have to break how my chat functions regularly on the off chance some other jackass might want to repeat this. I ignored this person, they should f*ing vanish from my game. That is how competent chat systems work everywhere. Someone harasses you, you block them, they vanish. It's that simple.

Why are people always so eager to defend faulty systems which could be so easily improved for the betterment of everyone? I don't get it.

Edited by Horyzon

12 minutes ago, Echoes said:

On the other side, this would make sense since banning a player from game chat does delete all their messages.

What is the difference between banning a player from a chat and from your life? None as I see it.

Thank you that's exactly my point here.

59 minutes ago, Horyzon said:

Wait what? I don't want to further communicate with that person. That is why I ignored them. I wanted them and all their messages gone so I could move on to more important matters.. like staring at a blank wall if I felt like it. 

Let me try to clarify this, again. 

I was in a random group with this random jackass who is not in my clan or in any other way even loosely associated with me.

They were being hostile to someone else for no real reason. I tell them to "calm down" and leave the group after mission was completed (like every random group ever). This jackass Private Messages me telling me not to tell him to calm down and to kill myself.

I Ignore them, which succeeds in preventing further harassment (they were still going).. but an hour later their private message in bold pink letters is still in my clan chat telling me to kill myself. I now have to quit out of the game to clear that chat message.

F__. That.

And no I don't want to have to break how my chat functions regularly on the off chance some other jackass might want to repeat this. I ignored this person, they should f*ing vanish from my game. That is how competent chat systems work everywhere. Someone harasses you, you block them, they vanish. It's that simple.

Why are people always so eager to defend faulty systems which could be so easily improved for the betterment of everyone? I don't get it.

1. Yes I understand all of that, that the messages are still there. You'll see in a previous post I agreed with @Echoes, whom you quoted.

2. You are not breaking chat by changing that one setting I mentioned earlier. Literally, if you uncheck that one setting, you won't have to ever worry about this situation ever again. It won't purge the chat, but it will only allow whispers to be in that particular whisper tab. So if Rude-Mcgee whispers me, I won't see it ever in any other tab than Rude-Mcgee's tab, which I can always close out of when I want to. That's why I recommended that setting. It isn't the silver-bullet solution for the current issue, but it is the silver bullet for potential future issues you may face.

3. I don't think anyone is eagerly defending faulty systems. In fact, I'd argue that 99% of everyone on the forums has a gripe or complaint about something in this game. It is what the forums are for. It's just a matter of implementation of newer systems, especially if those newer systems are built off of pre-existing code (which is typically done to conserve time), and that can introduce a lot of other issues.

1 hour ago, SyBuhr said:

1. Yes I understand all of that, that the messages are still there. You'll see in a previous post I agreed with @Echoes, whom you quoted.

2. You are not breaking chat by changing that one setting I mentioned earlier. Literally, if you uncheck that one setting, you won't have to ever worry about this situation ever again. It won't purge the chat, but it will only allow whispers to be in that particular whisper tab. So if Rude-Mcgee whispers me, I won't see it ever in any other tab than Rude-Mcgee's tab, which I can always close out of when I want to. That's why I recommended that setting. It isn't the silver-bullet solution for the current issue, but it is the silver bullet for potential future issues you may face.

3. I don't think anyone is eagerly defending faulty systems. In fact, I'd argue that 99% of everyone on the forums has a gripe or complaint about something in this game. It is what the forums are for. It's just a matter of implementation of newer systems, especially if those newer systems are built off of pre-existing code (which is typically done to conserve time), and that can introduce a lot of other issues.

1. Yes I already conceded your concern about messages unintentionally disappearing may have some merit, thus I amended my proposal to either only work on private messages, which can be reopened even after ignoring someone and/or closing the chat window by reopening to the whisper window.. or to give the player the option to manually purge the chat.

Ideally I would prefer it to automatically purge and give the option to recover purged messages if needed, but if that's too much of a hassle the reverse would work just fine. 

2. Yes, you are breaking the chat. I have played over 250 of this game now, and in that time I thankfully have only had one such experience like this. I don't want to break how my chat works now, which I like for the most part, on the hopefully low chance that I may soon meet Jackass NumberTwo.

It is a much better solution to have the option to get rid of specific unwanted messages than just "NUKE ALL MESSAGES ALL THE TIME!" I honestly prefer the restart the game "solution."

3. You can literally find those people right here in this thread. I mocked them earlier with the spongebob meme. The "JuSt ReStArT tHe GaMe" people. I won't lump you in with them because you've added something useful to the conversation. But yes, there are clearly people defending a broken system with no reasoning here.

And you are providing reasoning, but you are still defending a broken system. I get you're worried this fix could potentially break something else, but if done properly it shouldn't have to and should just be a blanket improvement.

Some of the game is buggy but it for the most part working well so I have some confidence DE could deliver what seems like a minor tweak without breaking the game. Admittedly I use "seems" because I don't know coding and cannot assert this would in fact be a simple matter it appears to be.

2 hours ago, Horyzon said:

2. Yes, you are breaking the chat. I have played over 250 of this game now, and in that time I thankfully have only had one such experience like this. I don't want to break how my chat works now, which I like for the most part, on the hopefully low chance that I may soon meet Jackass NumberTwo.

It is a much better solution to have the option to get rid of specific unwanted messages than just "NUKE ALL MESSAGES ALL THE TIME!" I honestly prefer the restart the game "solution."

3. You can literally find those people right here in this thread. I mocked them earlier with the spongebob meme. The "JuSt ReStArT tHe GaMe" people. I won't lump you in with them because you've added something useful to the conversation. But yes, there are clearly people defending a broken system with no reasoning here.

And you are providing reasoning, but you are still defending a broken system. I get you're worried this fix could potentially break something else, but if done properly it shouldn't have to and should just be a blanket improvement.

Some of the game is buggy but it for the most part working well so I have some confidence DE could deliver what seems like a minor tweak without breaking the game. Admittedly I use "seems" because I don't know coding and cannot assert this would in fact be a simple matter it appears to be.

I don't know how you can say that about turning off an intended setting. If you have evidence of it "breaking" the chat, by all means report it ASAP.

As someone with 2,000+ hours, I've had that feature on pretty much since it came out. Why? It prevents issues like this from occurring. It keeps Joe's DMs in the "JOE" tab, Rob's DMs in the "ROB" tab, and I never have to worry about ever seeing those hypothetical two's S#&$ inter-mingling in Region, Trade, Clan, and Alliance chats. Ever. In short, it should just always be turned off, it keeps everything organized, and gives me full control over which lines of text I keep. It's just a great feature, and given what it does, it should prevent future instances, which would also solve the on-going issue.

You do you, though. I just wouldn't get my hopes up for such a feature in the near future. Not saying that your "efforts are futile", but it'll be a while (the in-line switch took a long time too).

Just because someone says to you to restart the game (which you should do anyway, at least once every hour to two hours to rest your eyes, go outside, etc.), doesn't equate to them saying it is good. They aren't mutual. They are saying it is a work-around, but I think everyone in these forums know that work-arounds =/= in-house fixes.

I've never had this issue (at least, not in any memory I can think of), since I turned that one option off. So to me, this is a major non-issue at best, which is probably why it seems like I am defending this current system. 

..You're taking the word "breaking" way too literally.. Are you being this obtuse on purpose or...? 

No I don't mean breaking as in it ceases to function, but as in removing a working, useful feature that I like 99.9% of the time, but in this specific scenario is a nuisance. I like being on the clan tab and seeing a message from a friend, trader, Recruiting person, what have you. Like I said this has been the only person in 250 hours of playing the game that has caused this. I see no reason to remove that feature unless something like this were to become FAR more frequent. 

I made the suggestion for a feature I feel is missing and would improve the game. Whether or not it is actually implemented is not up to me and no I'm not holding my breath on it. 

You not seeing something as an issue =/= that something is not an issue or has not been an issue for someone else. 

8 hours ago, Horyzon said:

I Ignore them, which succeeds in preventing further harassment (they were still going).. but an hour later their private message in bold pink letters is still in my clan chat telling me to kill myself.

You would have probably just laughed at this if you ever watched Filthy Frank, pink letters=Pink Guy. :^)

9 hours ago, SyBuhr said:

Let's say I am a Clan Moderator, and I ignore someone because they say something rude, but not necessarily reportable. Now all their chat messages are purged, including ones I may have not seen.

I don't think you have any idea what a moderator is supposed to do.

3 minutes ago, kgabor said:

You would have probably just laughed at this if you ever watched Filthy Frank, pink letters=Pink Guy. :^)

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Please refrain from attempting humour ever again.

15 hours ago, ebrl said:

I don't think you have any idea what a moderator is supposed to do.

Ok.

If you want to expound on what a Clan moderator is supposed to do, please feel free to do so in a DM. Otherwise, I see little reason as to why you posted that. From my experience, clan mods act as fill-ins for the clan leader, just at a lower scope. For instance, if they want to add/remove someone from the clan, they should be able to, so long as it is within clan guidelines. If someone breaks the rule in the clan, a clan moderator should be able to sweep them out, and provide suitable evidence/reasoning to the leader as to why that is. 

Now, that's idealistic, but that's how things have been run for the clan I am in. Your clan moderators might not do that, but that's on them.

With that said, I'd be happy to hear a response in a DM, to not de-rail this topic.

13 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Wait, just turn off Inline Private Messages.

16 hours ago, Horyzon said:

..You're taking the word "breaking" way too literally.. Are you being this obtuse on purpose or...? 

No I don't mean breaking as in it ceases to function, but as in removing a working, useful feature that I like 99.9% of the time, but in this specific scenario is a nuisance. I like being on the clan tab and seeing a message from a friend, trader, Recruiting person, what have you. Like I said this has been the only person in 250 hours of playing the game that has caused this. I see no reason to remove that feature unless something like this were to become FAR more frequent. 

I made the suggestion for a feature I feel is missing and would improve the game. Whether or not it is actually implemented is not up to me and no I'm not holding my breath on it. 

You not seeing something as an issue =/= that something is not an issue or has not been an issue for someone else. 

Ok.

I've offered an option, that would easily fix your issue in the future, but for some reason, you like people's texts intermingled with clan and other tabs, which you know full well you don't have control over. This is fine.

In lieu of this, you want an option that essentially de-syncs and then re-syncs the chat tabs. Ok. You can always try switching regions and then switching back. Whether that actually works for clan, I can't say. But it does work for the other tabs I cannot close out of. Note that this would act as your purge button, purging all chat messages. I turned In-line back on, and tested this. 

Note that, with In-line turned back on, I still don't see whispers in Clan Chat. I can see them in their own tab, and in other tabs (Region, Trading). So this setting being Swapped should act as your psuedo purge button.