Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

These last few days of Nightwave threads are why DE doesn't take the forums seriously.

Xaxma

1 hour ago, Xylia said:

I've never played a such game myself

Lots of 4X strategy games and various management games start out with you micromanaging every aspect of your tiny starting territory, and the farther you progress and the more cities/planets/whatever you acquire, the more things you automate so you can focus on the bigger picture. The Total War series in particular is designed with the idea of just auto-resolving battles once your empire is big enough that you have a dozen battles going on at once. You can still step in at any time if necessary, but if you insist on fighting every single one manually, each turn becomes excruciatingly long by the time you own a quarter of the map. As such the game gradually changes genres and transitions from being mostly a tactics game to being mostly a strategy game.

The Saints Row series allows you to level up your character and weapons, and the final tier of upgrades are just outright cheats that make you invincible, give you infinite stamina, infinite ammo, etc., completely throwing most of the game's core shooter gameplay mechanics out the window. Similar engame upgrades have existed in games for decades, for instance in Tyrian, an old 2D shmup where firing your weapons drains energy, and you have to keep upgrading your reactor to power ever bigger guns. Eventually you get an upgrade that can shoot any weapon combo forever while keeping the energy bar maxed out, again completely throwing that mechanic out the window.

At a certain point in Morrowind you undergo a process that has a handy side effect of making you immune to all diseases forever, completely obviating the mechanics of resisting and curing them, which by that point will have become tedious and annoying. Path of Exile allows you to eventually take keystone passive skills that remove entire gameplay mechanics, such as never missing with your attacks at the cost of also never critting, or gaining immunity to stagger at the cost of losing the ability to evade attacks, and these stats then completely disappear from your character sheet.

Etc., etc.

1 hour ago, Xylia said:

The game feels so convoluted and messy now with all kinds of different game systems, all of these resources that are only used for this, that, and that over there, different things that feel rather disconnected from each other, that the whole game feels like a big pile of ideas that is somewhat lacking cohesion.

Well I guess a large part of that is because that's pretty much what it is. It's been in continuous development for over half a decade, ideas were tried, iterated upon, discarded, and revised many times. WF is what happens when game devs just make things up as they go along, and I think the state of the game is a testament to how good the devs at DE are. No other studio has pulled off anything even remotely like this. Yeah, it has issues, but what doesn't.

That said, I seriously doubt the issues will get sorted out anytime soon. As messy as DE's approach is, it's working. Player numbers are climbing, game is profitable, new content is high quality and fun... Would the game benefit if it didn't overwhelm newbies with all this clutter? Possibly, but any attempt at removing it would be a huge change, and those are always risky. I don't see it happening.

Edited by SordidDreams

No one is complaining about the rewards. It's the couple of ridiculous challenges they have that upsets people. And the timed nature of the new system can be anxiety inducing to certain people. The constant need to keeping doing many weekly and daily challenges will wear players out and quit instead of taking breakes, because they will miss out on good exclusive rewards. In the old system, you could eventually get everything with out a time limit. Thank God we don't have to do them all for all of the main rewards.

10 minutes ago, WillardZ said:

Just take a look at what you posted:

So cold man. So cold.

It isn't. You can set up your peer-to-peer to only allow connections within a certain ping. You can fix this problem yourself.