Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on new melee system

B4HEK

So, new melee is quite dissapointing... I am MR 26 with 4k hours (70% of time with melee) and I can say to you that new system is uncomfortable for me.

-Before update, I could use slow flight with my melee in hands to observe the environment in fight, now I should use primary or secondary aiming which is extremly inconvenient because of approximation and slow rotation speed.

-Also, changed way of using channeling is uncomfortable too, as I must always monitor switching on and off  because if I don’t do it, I’ll run out of energy in the fastest way.

-I heard some rumors about replacing channeling system with something new... They say, that players should be activating some "beast mode" which will take much more time than usual pressing lmb, so, I think that could finish long survival runs with melee because (surprise, surprise...) you couldn’t instantly compensate for incoming damage ... 

!!!especially shells of heavy gunners, nullifiers and other friends with firearms (all grineer and corpus mobs + some infested)!!!
Edited by B4HEK

Waw, those sound like non-existent problems

1 is a complete non-issue

2 is just a question of habit - people usually dislike when their habits are changed but this is not  a big deal in the end

3 ... what ? There are tons of ways to heal yourself, and we don't have any clue what Channeling will be replaced with, it could perfectly be something that provides some healing for all we know.

Edited by Chewarette

1 hour ago, Chewarette said:

1 is a complete non-issue

2 is just a question of habit - people usually dislike when their habits are changed but this is not  a big deal in the end

3 ... what ? There are tons of ways to heal yourself, and we don't have any clue what Channeling will be replaced with, it could perfectly be something that provides some healing for all we know.

1 May be a non-issue to you but alot of people including me like to aimglide with my melee out instead of having to switch to my primary or secondary and aim glide with extra zoom.

2 hours ago, Chewarette said:

FFS, can we not have a single feedback thread without an Internet tough guy dropping by to trash-talk the OP? While they may be non-existent issues TO YOU, they're clearly issues to some and I'd buckle down because you're going to see a lot more of those threads over the coming days.

On topic:
Honestly, I personally like the new system. On paper, I was absolutely dreading it because it essentially removes my ability to custom-tailor my melee keys. It might be that I need more practice before issues make themselves apparent, but I'm actually having a pretty good time with it it right now. While I'll freely admit that the system feels clunky if you're trying to use the way I used the old one, I did manage to adapt to it rather quickly. The benefit of instant swaps between melee and ranged weapons does actually help offset quite a bit of the system's inherent clunk.

I do, however, see people's criticisms of it. The system is designed with one primary goal in mind - a seamless blend of guns and melee. For anyone who was used to either pure-melee or predominantly-melee playstyles, this is going to be a step down as melee is objectively losing complexity and gaining intrusive weapon switch mechanics. I'm of the opinion that most of those can be ironed out simply by attaining a bit more experience with the new system (it's clunky, but not THAT much). The one I've seen cited most commonly, though - and one which I agree with - is Aim Glide.

Under the old system, one could Aim Glide with a melee weapon equipped which offered both uninterrupted movement and - crucially - no aim zoom. I'm personally not that bothered by the game swapping me to a ranged weapon while gliding, but the zoom definitely is an issue. To this end, I propose we rebrand the mechanic as "just gliding," ditch all zoom and scopes entirely (maybe redesign aim glide zoom mods to ADD zoom and scopes rather than subtracting?) and simply have it retain whatever weapon you have equipped. Since the melee 3.0? system is being slow-walked, chances are something like that may happen.

• Like 1

On 2019-03-08 at 10:37 AM, Steel_Rook said:

FFS, can we not have a single feedback thread without an Internet tough guy dropping by to trash-talk the OP? While they may be non-existent issues TO YOU, they're clearly issues to some and I'd buckle down because you're going to see a lot more of those threads over the coming days.

Thank you, because I felt a similar vibe here:

I feel the same way too OP, I find the new setup unplayable for melee unless it will just be a side piece attack and nothing more, unfortunately for players like us who main melee it is just terrible, I can't deal with the auto block as if I am playing some cheaply done android game that plays the game for you, and not being able to exclusively melee is not even hurting the gameplay but even realism and immersion. like slash attack because I am switching to melee, and then aim through my scope because I'm going to shoot. As a melee player this severely damaged my playing experience as well as many others.  

On 2019-03-08 at 8:17 AM, B4HEK said:

So, new melee is quite dissapointing... I am MR 26 with 4k hours (70% of time with melee) and I can say to you that new system is uncomfortable for me.

-Before update, I could use slow flight with my melee in hands to observe the environment in fight, now I should use primary or secondary aiming which is extremly inconvenient because of approximation and slow rotation speed.

-Also, changed way of using channeling is uncomfortable too, as I must always monitor switching on and off  because if I don’t do it, I’ll run out of energy in the fastest way.

-I heard some rumors about replacing channeling system with something new... They say, that players should be activating some "beast mode" which will take much more time than usual pressing lmb, so, I think that could finish long survival runs with melee because (surprise, surprise...) you couldn’t instantly compensate for incoming damage ... 

!!!especially shells of heavy gunners, nullifiers and other friends with firearms (all grineer and corpus mobs + some infested)!!!