The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Matchmaking Options "Host" and "Guest"

Thoughtmaker

Long ago I had a bad computer, and it would crash any time it hosted a mission. It was very frustrating, and the host migrations were undoubtedly bothersome for everyone else. Now I have a good computer, but lately I find that every time there's a host migration I'm returned to the multiplayer menu and lose all my progress. Infuriatingly, this happens most often in Orb Vallis, which is the one place I stand to lose the most progress (e.g. half an hour of toroid farming).

Another wrench in the gears is that Orb Valis has the newest content, and thus there is almost always an open squad I'm instantly thrust into despite hitting cancel as fast as I can. I could always leave the squad, but this prevents new players from joining my squad (I don't know why). I'd be fine going solo, except this reduces enemy spawn rates to unfeasible amounts even at alert level 4: 0 ships flying in, 0 enemies spawning in nearby rooms, 0-1 enemies teleporting in at a time, and teleports sometimes stop happening indefinitely even with four beacons spinning wildly.

My idea: In the tab where you can choose "Public", "Friends-Only", etc, add "Host" and "Guest".
- Host: You will never search out an existing squad to join, but others can still join yours. If multiple people in a premade squad have this setting, the host is chosen randomly from among them. (As a bonus, this allows players to do Simaris scans in multiplayer! What a concept!)
- Guest: You will search for an open squad until you find one or until you cancel your search. Host migrations will never choose you unless all the remaining squad members have this setting. (People with bad computers or internet can proactively improve the Warframe experience for both themselves and other players!)

15 hours ago, Thoughtmaker said:

My idea: In the tab where you can choose "Public", "Friends-Only", etc, add "Host" and "Guest".
- Host: You will never search out an existing squad to join, but others can still join yours. If multiple people in a premade squad have this setting, the host is chosen randomly from among them. (As a bonus, this allows players to do Simaris scans in multiplayer! What a concept!)
- Guest: You will search for an open squad until you find one or until you cancel your search. Host migrations will never choose you unless all the remaining squad members have this setting. (People with bad computers or internet can proactively improve the Warframe experience for both themselves and other players!)

There is a pretty obvious problem with this though: having an option to never host is somewhat feasible, but having an option to always host is very much not.

There are absolute benefits to hosting, namely zero lag game play and the other players not being able to cause a host migration on you (while you can cause one for them at your whim). Even if they have a terrible rig/internet, people will choose the always host option, just because it is in their best interest to do so. Why wouldn't they?

4 hours ago, Knowmad762 said:

There is a pretty obvious problem with this though: having an option to never host is somewhat feasible, but having an option to always host is very much not.

There are absolute benefits to hosting, namely zero lag game play and the other players not being able to cause a host migration on you (while you can cause one for them at your whim). Even if they have a terrible rig/internet, people will choose the always host option, just because it is in their best interest to do so. Why wouldn't they?

Here is a fact : if you are the host, your computer is doing more work because you are running the game server and playing the game thus reducing performance. Potato users should never host if they want the best performance possible.

actually, there is a way to “Force-Host” in Warframe by quickly quitting the starchart map when you are entering the squad or you could just set your ping as low as possible.

This would be nice to have, I need to keep an eye on my computers heat levels when I am hosting, less so when I am client. 

I help my clan at times in a dedicated squad and I have the better internet, I just set my graphics to a slightly lower value then. 

Being able to choose when I want to host or be client would indeed be nice.