Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to regain that lost Warframe feel...

BouzuJunzo

I've been playing Warframe for almost four years and it was my answer to the disappointment that was Destiny because in a field of first-person shooters, there seemed to be no answer for those of us who wanted third-person...until Warframe.

I've had a ball in Warframe because of the play style, freedom of movement, weapons, variety, diversity of 'Frames, and the story. The story was unique in how it was told and the characters involved, but somewhere along the way, it stopped. We haven't had a decent bit of story since Excal Umbra. The Nightwave mission story is okay, but there's really no resolution to it. It was also A LOT of difficult grind, especially when having to do the 5,000-point missions with friends who no longer play Warframe because of a lack of interesting content. I've actually put Warframe in the backburner this past few weeks because the ephemera and Nightwave grind were repetitive and fairly uninteresting. I've found games like Devil May Cry 5 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey because of their engaging story and character interactions, something that Warframe seems to have lost as of late.

So how do we get that "Warframe feel" back?

1. Give us more lore! I LOVE Warframe's lore. Even when I'm not playing the game, watching videos by creators like My Name is Byf, Xayl, and DKDiamentes is a thrill when I'm in the car on the way to work or listening while I'm cleaning house, but if there's nothing new for them to add to their lore videos, then that eliminates one element of what makes Warframe itself.

2. NEW tilesets, not just reworks of old ones...OR how about connected tilesets with variable mission types that switch when you make the connection? For example, if you're on Venus, or Pluto, because many of those missions are terrestrial, why not connect them and instead of having to jump around like Sorties, just have interconnected missions on the ground?

3. Story relevant missions. Don't just save lore missions for one Warframe. Why not have NPC's on given planets issue missions, not just Nora Night or fake space mom? There are NPC's on the relays, why not make encampments on the ground or on ships that are getting invaded? I think it would add a greater amount of emersion to the game!

4. BETTER LOOT. While the emergence of Zaws and Kitguns have been godsend, they have monopolized the landscape when it comes to weapons. They're better than the ones that get issued with Warframes by leaps and bounds in most cases. As a matter of fact, Warframe-specific weapons have been REALLY lackluster for a while. I LOVE Zaws and Kitguns, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to release weapons with Warframes, make them awesome again. Otherwise, there is no point in releasing weapons when new 'Frames come out.

Also, when it comes to ESO and Arbitrations, better rewards would make it more worth it to play these game modes other than just grinding for Endo or Affinity. 

These are just some ideas to pick Warframe up from its currently-slow decline. I want to love this game again, but as it is, other games are holding my interest because they fulfill that need for deep, engaging content.

• Like 1

Novelty
nov·el·ty
/ˈnävəltē/
noun: novelty
the quality of being new, original, or unusual.
"the novelty of being a married woman wore off"
synonyms: originality, newness, freshness, unconventionality, unfamiliarity, unusualness, difference, imaginativeness, creativity, creativeness, innovativeness, innovation, modernity, modernness, break with tradition
"they liked the novelty of our approach"

I do not believe you can get novelty back. Even with your proposed changes.

You can, however, look back on it and remember what it feels like. That's called:

Nostalgia
nos·tal·gia
/näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun: nostalgia; plural noun: nostalgias
a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
"I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"
synonyms wistfulness, longing/yearning/pining for the past, regret, reminiscence, remembrance, recollection, homesickness  sentimentality
"there is a nostalgia for traditional values"

EDIT: To clarify I think pretty much all of your idea's sound good. I am just skeptical that they will give you the feeling you want.

Edited by SteelOverseer666
Removed large empy space below post.

I want a new quest, its been too long since we have had a good quest that expands on the lore. The newer warframes don't seem to have any connection to the universe of warframe or the world DE has built. They just say "hey here's a warframe" and leave it like that

• Like 1

Gerade eben schrieb (PS4)drollive96:

I want a new quest, its been too long since we have had a good quest that expands on the lore. The newer warframes don't seem to have any connection to the universe of warframe or the world DE has built. They just say "hey here's a warframe" and leave it like that

That is sadly true, it is even more sadder when you hear they dropped taht newest frames like Garuda and Baruuk were supposed ot geta actual Quest, supposedly lore aswell, but instead we got them into a random faction who not evne there has a connection to it and a poor excuse of an event like Nightwave.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, (PS4)drollive96 said:

Well, people complained that quests took too long to make for only 40 minutes of gameplay. They complained that we had very few Warframes last year. So, DE just stop doing them.

34 minutes ago, SteelOverseer666 said:
Novelty
nov·el·ty
/ˈnävəltē/
noun: novelty
the quality of being new, original, or unusual.
"the novelty of being a married woman wore off"
synonyms: originality, newness, freshness, unconventionality, unfamiliarity, unusualness, difference, imaginativeness, creativity, creativeness, innovativeness, innovation, modernity, modernness, break with tradition
"they liked the novelty of our approach"

I do not believe you can get novelty back. Even with your proposed changes.

You can, however, look back on it and remember what it feels like. That's called:

Nostalgia
nos·tal·gia
/näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun: nostalgia; plural noun: nostalgias
a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
"I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"
synonyms wistfulness, longing/yearning/pining for the past, regret, reminiscence, remembrance, recollection, homesickness  sentimentality
"there is a nostalgia for traditional values"

EDIT: To clarify I think pretty much all of your idea's sound good. I am just skeptical that they will give you the feeling you want.

It's not even a matter that I want that feeling back, it's just that I remember that feeling and I want Warframe to continue to be a game that invokes those feelings. Right now, however, there is a very real, very tangible decline in the game. I love Warframe and many who play still do and we want to see it become that example to all other games in its particular genre again, not become one that people slowly turn their back on.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

Right now, however, there is a very real, very tangible decline in the game.

Could you provide sources for this "fact"?

Looking at the charts I only see positive growth through almost all of Warframes history including recently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -OP-NerevarCM said:

Well, people complained that quests took too long to make for only 40 minutes of gameplay. They complained that we had very few Warframes last year. So, DE just stop doing them.

Oh, I know, and I get that, but at this point, look at where we are, how many Warframes that we have and the content that is currently available. I would much rather have new, quality content rather than 100 Warframes with the same old content. OR at least add new mission types to what we have. Even with the Exploiter Orb, Orb Vallis is still just a bare landscape with farming and fishing. Why not do something with that? There are still planets in the solar system that can have stories linked to them. 

• Like 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb -OP-NerevarCM:

Well, the last real quest was Nidus with repeating the Index over and over, that is not the communtiys fault if DE not even trys to give a decent story, i mean it worked for Octavia and Harrow as example, even if we not get any we could atleast get text you know, like with simaris scans they abandoned or the codex entrys like Stalker, Rhino Prime, Ember Prime, etc.

I love DE but lore wise they are lazy sadly lately.

3 minutes ago, -OP-NerevarCM said:

That is true however, making these massive open worlds takes even longer, 

2 minutes ago, SteelOverseer666 said:

Looking at the charts I only see positive growth through almost all of warframes hisotry including recently.

I don't have charts and figures. What I do have is that once staunchly faithful content creators who were pumping out content on a daily basis are finding other things to do and taking their followers with them. Warframe is still the raft in the sea of online looter shooters that many will continue to flock to because of the name value alone. But their other value props like free-to-play, unique background, and communicative devs will continue to pull players, but for those of us who came to Warframe for those reasons, and the lack of something to continuously peak our interests, there's just other things out there. 

And before you say "You can always play something else," I WANT to play Warframe. I WANT to not just log in for rewards or a half-hour quest from time to time. Hell, I've gotten friends and students of mine interested, but if you want a game like this to succeed and keep succeeding, I just think people need to speak up and let the devs know how we feel and what we want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

Well, the last real quest was Nidus with repeating the Index over and over, that is not the communtiys fault if DE not even trys to give a decent story, i mean it worked for Octavia and Harrow as example, even if we not get any we could atleast get text you know, like with simaris scans they abandoned or the codex entrys like Stalker, Rhino Prime, Ember Prime, etc.

That's true unfortunately. I loved the Chains of Harrow and as a result of the frame that came with it, I mained Harrow for a LONG time. He's still one of my top 5 Warframes. We definitely need more like that. There was depth, character growth and development, and an overall satisfying questline.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

I don't have charts and figures. What I do have is that once staunchly faithful content creators who were pumping out content on a daily basis are finding other things to do and taking their followers with them. Warframe is still the raft in the sea of online looter shooters that many will continue to flock to because of the name value alone. But their other value props like free-to-play, unique background, and communicative devs will continue to pull players, but for those of us who came to Warframe for those reasons, and the lack of something to continuously peak our interests, there's just other things out there. 

And before you say "You can always play something else," I WANT to play Warframe. I WANT to not just log in for rewards or a half-hour quest from time to time. Hell, I've gotten friends and students of mine interested, but if you want a game like this to succeed and keep succeeding, I just think people need to speak up and let the devs know how we feel and what we want.

Warframe has never been popular with content creators.

It has always had  low numbers on twitch.

It has always had very few youtubers creating content for it.

Its simply not a fun game to watch other people play.

That is not a valid indicator of the games health.

I have read the charts and can say with certainty that warframe is growing just like it always has been.

Here take a look for yourself: https://steamcharts.com/app/230410

People like you have been yelling doomday scenario's as long as I can remember.

It almost always boils down to the fact that you have been playing this game for years and are simply now bored of it.

So yeah, Go play something else. Take a break. Do what the rest of us do when we get burned out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

I loved reading the codex entries, I cant tell you how many times i enjoyed just sitting back in my orbiter and reading. Honestly even if we just get more codex entries, like the ines from simaris, or the ember/rhino/mag prime codexes. I would be happy. It was just so fun to speculate about, and they all had this aura of mystery surrounding them that was just so fascinating 

15 minutes ago, SteelOverseer666 said:

Looking at the charts I only see positive growth through almost all of warframes hisotry including recently.

Warframe certainly isn't dying, but it just doesn't feel the same thats all

1 minute ago, SteelOverseer666 said:

Warframe has never been popular with content creators.

It has always had  low numbers on twitch.

Its simply not a fun game to watch other people play.

That is not a valid indicator of the games health.

I have read the charts and can say with certainty that warframe is growing just like it always has been.

People like you have been yelling doomday scenario's as long as I can remember.

It almost always boils down to the fact that you have been playing this game for years and are simply now bored of it.

So yeah, Go play something else. Take a break. Do what the rest of us do when we get burned out.

I'm not even yelling doomsday scenarios. I'm just looking at this objectively. Steve has admitted to taking inspiration from other IP's out there and implementing them in-game. I've been an avid gamer since the early 80's and I've played games in nearly every genre. I can say this: I've seen games succeed, and I've seen them fail for any and all kinds of reasons, and I can say definitively that there is NO reason whatsoever to let players escape or wander away from a game. Hell, there seem to be new people playing Skyrim all the time and that game is almost 7-years-old! Steve Sinclair clearly has his finger on the pulse and can revive the content here. Can he make everyone happy? No. BUT can he make Warframe engaging again? ABSOLUTELY! With the level of talent he has on staff, I have no doubt that they can roll out captivating content, I just think a shift in thinking is in order.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

I've been an avid gamer since the early 80's and I've played games in nearly every genre. I can say this: I've seen games succeed, and I've seen them fail for any and all kinds of reasons.

Likewise.

I can say definitively that there is NO reason whatsoever to let players escape or wander away from a game.

Yes there is, when you realize that its impossible to please everyone. As Steve has said on multiple devstreams and interviews.

Steve Sinclair clearly has his finger on the pulse and can revive the content here. Can he make everyone happy? No. BUT can he make Warframe engaging again? ABSOLUTELY! With the level of talent he has on staff, I have no doubt that they can roll out captivating content.

And they will... We have a huge number of things in the pipeline, pretty much everything you ask for is in development in one way or another already.

I just think a shift in thinking is in order.

No I dont think so. I think they are doing just fine as is.

Edit: You must remember that peoples livelihoods depend on the continued success of this game.
If they were to shift focus from what they have always done to instead try and please us older players (who really cant be pleased as I explained earlier) then there is a good chance that those charts that are green now might not stay that way.

Right now its not broken so dont go fixing it.

• Like 1

DE is no longer putting quality in their work, its all about quantity and it's like, i would understand that mentality back like 4-5 years ago when we barely had any weapons or warframes to lvl, but now theres like over hundreds and hundreds of things to play and work with in this game, and still that mentality of adding new S#&$ is completely stupid when you don't feel like it's fun getting it. 
I completely agree with you, the game is losing its touch and feeling to it, its declining and these fat neck beard trolls will put you down about you standing up for a better game, but just know you are not alone, we are not alone. The voice crying out for a better more engaging game with a soul is still heard in the empty minded halls of region chat. I have many solutions to the problems, but if DE will not listen, then i say let their game burn down to ashes and perhaps we should all move on, IF however, we can hold on to hope and wish for a better tomorrow so that one day it may come true, then preach on and fight. 
Nightwave is the most horrifying proof of warframes true decline in engaging quality content, it is the slob for the pig gamers whc enjoy mindless mechanical gameplay like Anthem and Destiny, and I for one, will not sit idle and watch my beloved game become a mockery any longer.
Jesus, i feel weird, i dont usually talk like this... 

35 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

Well, the last real quest was Nidus

Both Octavia and Harrow were released after Nidus, with full lore quests. Depending on what you mean by "real quest", Gara, Revenant, and Garuda have all been obtained from quests since then.

39 minutes ago, BouzuJunzo said:

I would much rather have new, quality content rather than 100 Warframes with the same old content.

DE needs to make new warframes constantly. They've said this countless times. A new warframe is a new thing to buy with platinum, which translates directly into revenue, and it keeps players engaged as they acquire the new 'frame, put some forma into it, and test optimal builds. A quest will always be done and be old content in ~40 minutes of play time; a warframe generally translates to much more than that. So, they need to keep making 'frames, and they can't make a quest for each one because that slows down their pipeline. They've admitted it's regrettable but they clearly don't have a solution yet. One idea they floated was incorporating lore into the Codex again, perhaps in comic form.

23 minutes ago, RazerSnek said:

DE is no longer putting quality in their work

You lost all credibility here right at the start.

You do understand over the last long while they have been primarily developing Railjack at the same time they develop everything else right?

And WHILE they are developing that they still have to release weekly/biweekly content updates to keep the game afloat.

All the while they have people like you who come in between the large content updates and complain about "Content drought" and how the game is doomed/how crappy they are as developers.

When in reality DE are damn near super-hero's in the game development world and you should appreciate them more.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

d71.png

vor 2 Minuten schrieb GrayArchon:

Both Octavia and Harrow were released after Nidus, with full lore quests. Depending on what you mean by "real quest", Gara, Revenant, and Garuda have all been obtained from quests since then.

Was confused about the order but Octavia and Harrow have atleast more Lore stil lyes, on top of there mini comics, Gara Revenant and Garuda felt like a fetch quest thou, no real connection to anything, Gara at least was well known by the Cetus people and had odex fragment entrys, but nothing like Titania or Harrow, where the warframe itself has  a own lore and story, Nidus felt slapped on becasue people demanded a infected frame, same for Revenant wanting a sentient frame.

Even Mirage or Limbo had more story i say, Mirage at least getting mentioend by Lotus like she activly knowed her as example.

While with Nidus it just feels off, even the people we met, a faction that is immune ti the infection just gets forgotten appernetly, its not like this should be soemtihng important for any faciton overall. And even Nidus atleast brought a new mission in the game, i just say that DE not puts as much effort in the new frames as they used ot be.

One really amazing thing about Warframe, is if you take a break from it, you usually come back and have lots of stuff to do all of a sudden. I've started playing Warframe a few months after it's PS4 launch, and played it for quite awhile. Then I took break shortly after Eidolon release, and came back just recently, and I'm really hooked on it again. There are plently of new frames to try out, new game modes, 2 open world maps, plus some general gameplay and QoL changes, and I'm having loads of fun with Warframe once again.

So really, don't fret about getting bored from a game after playing it for 4 years, and just take a break, play something else for a bit. When you comeback there will be plenty of fun stuff to do most likely, because the rate at which this game is evolving is truly amazing.