Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stances and You (Less "Combos" More Fun)

DustyFlash

With Melee 2.999999997 or whatever the version was called, combos became increasingly harder to pull off on some stances, additionally some of the better "quick melee" attacks also got removed as a result.

To make combos easier and more fun to use I suggest allowing us to simply switch between combos, to do this I would recommend using the "switch weapon" (or a different button) button as it is currently not very useful on melee weapons (and adding quick melee in the combos as a default for any weapon despite stance) as opposed to single frame perfect melee button tap to make one potentially wasted super sick looking combo attack on a lvl 35 butcher.

By switch between combos I mean switching between them in a fashion similar to "ability cycling" on abilities like Reservoir. This way any Tenno can use whatever combo they want to use to brutally punish their enemies.

2 minutes ago, Cyclouros said:

We already can do that, we go into arsenal and switch the mod.

No I don't mean that. I mean being able to switch between combos of a stance. For example:

Stance: Crimson Dervish

gvib4BC.png

Switching between "Crimson Orbit" and "Twisting Flurry" without having to do an awkward combo such as walking backwards for this instance, and simply pressing the melee button to do the full combo as opposed to timing the combo and hitting the backwards button/holding the backwards button.

2 minutes ago, Cyclouros said:

So you want less skill involved and less gameplay in exchange for easier dps?
Gotcha. I do not support this.

There is no skill in "single frame perfect" combos, or combos that require hours of practice, it is just tedious and boring after a while to try and do a specific combo.

Additionally, DPS is irrelevant, we are talking about a game with overpowered gears and weapons that can sometimes outDPS even melee weapons, and most of the time we fight enemies that take 50x the damage that they would require to be killed.

Edited by DustyFlash

Just now, Cyclouros said:

That is literally what skill is. Learning, improving and then executing. Have you never played a fighter like Tekken, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter?

This isn't a mortal kombat game unless you play Frame Fighter. And extra DPS is irrelevant in this game either way since enemies are very weak to almost any properly modded weapon. Most of the fancy combos don't even give extra dps, they just look cooler. And again, we can't learn "single frame perfect" combos when we are attacking with 200% the attack speed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DustyFlash said:

There is no skill in "single frame perfect" combos, or combos that require hours of practice, it is just tedious and boring after a while to try and do a specific combo.

Actually that is exactly what skill is. 

Yes, I do agree the combo system is flawed (mostly due to attack speed affecting it, making windows unnecessarily difficult to learn), but yours is much worse. It removes all skill. I'd prefer a system that's somewhat similar to the Sam DLC from MGR, except instead of heavy attacks being the finishers, holding your attack activates your capacity to combo, and then uses fixed timings for combos.

We've already seen how the new combo system is going to look like, block/aim combos aren't going away but hey, no more hold/pause/walk backwards combos.

We're gonna have 4 combos:

Standing E spam

Standing block+E spam

Forward E spam

Forward block+E spam

Edited by TheRealShade

Honestly, @TheRealShade is actually correct.

DE have already previewed a new combo system in order to make combos more reliable and easier to pull off.

There are going to be two basic combos, with a standing combo and a moving combo. Then there's going to be two 'block' combos, or 'aimed' combos, where aiming first will allow you to do a standing combo and a moving combo.

If you look at the last DevStream at the Wukong rework preview, he's being released with this change to make his Primal Fury (the staff) combos actually make sense and be better.

The idea is that you have specifically a few ways to interact with every single weapon, so that you have a combo that can take on that single target, a combo that you can use while on the move, a gap-closer combo that moves you forwards towards a target, and an AoE combo that you can smash multiple things with in close range.

I find it kind of funny that there's threads like these starting because this preview is only the latest mention of it and DE told us that they would be reworking combos as a base part of this melee update over a year ago and it's been mentioned many times since then.

3 hours ago, DustyFlash said:

This isn't a mortal kombat game unless you play Frame Fighter. And extra DPS is irrelevant in this game either way since enemies are very weak to almost any properly modded weapon. Most of the fancy combos don't even give extra dps, they just look cooler. And again, we can't learn "single frame perfect" combos when we are attacking with 200% the attack speed.

Well if your only argument is "it makes things better for me because of how i want to play" then im just gonna say that it makes it boring which makes things worse for me because of how i play.