Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operators need expanding

(XBOX)Duke DEFCON

Operator mode needs expanded to be more useful than just for Eidalon hunts. I really struggle to see the point of leveling up an operator by hunting Eidalons Just so I can get better at hunting Eidalons. Furthermore, if warframes were created by the Orokin to help the tenno contain and channel their FRIGHTENING powers... popping out of a warframe and using your void powers should be OFF THE HOOK crazy. There are plenty enough warframes and frame weapons for players to grind and buy. It's time to open up some new playstyle options, and I suggest operator mode is not really being explored enough.

I should say that I'm not suggesting this without any concept of what operators are capable of. I main Hildryn and got her built in such a way that I can hop out into operator mode and leave her with her Aegis Storm and Haven abilities on- INDEFINITELY. Seriously, I can run around amp-zapping things all day, dashing past to kill whole groups with Lockdown arcane and keep doing it over and over thanks to Glitch. The whole time, Hildryn remains hovering over the target buffing shields and CCing enemies that come in range. I've been getting lots of playtime with operator thanks to this. Though I have LOTS of focus to grind still and I've seen lots of youtube videos about some of the crazy things operators can do... it's really lacking utility.

For example,

There are no mods for amps, or the operator at all. We can't silence them. We can't make them hit harder. We can't shoot faster or farther. None of the utility every single OTHER weapon in the game has, except in parts and arcanes. Meh! Consider an operator "aura forma" that allows the operator to equip one non-waybound skill from another school... IF they have the mod for said skill. For example, Zenerik energizing dash would be predictably popular with the other schools. The trade off would be that using such a mod would negate the related skill in your current tree.

My pet will follow the operator, but it's mods won't help me. Fetch doesn't grab loot near me. Animal instinct doesn't show me loot boxes in range. I suspect most, if not all, the pet mods have no interaction with your operator at all. You don't have to simply make pet mods work for the operator. Why not give players options? Perhaps a mod that makes your operator able to use all the same pet synergies your warframe can... or even one that allows you transference into your pet?!? That would be insane! (I'm aware it might be a pain to program though).

How about a options that make the Frame useful while it's "parked"? My Hildryn and Nekros are the only 2 frames that I've been able to "park" and still contribute something to the group. You could make mods for your operator that allow the frame to follow you like a mega pet... stuff like that.

There are lots of possible options. Instead of increasingly powerful frames and the resulting power creep... why not delve a little deeper into operator and Archwing modes? (Yes I know a space expansion is coming soon).

Edited by (XB1)Taz Deduction
  • Like 2

Given the prominence of the Operator in the Duviri Paradox trailer I'd imagine they'll receive some expanding of some sort when it releases.  As for the whole "Frame following you" thing you suggested, there was going to be something like that in the most recent (PC) update, but people didn't like the way it was going to be implemented so it got "pushed back", which honestly probably means we'll never see it again.

I agree with the pet thing though, I would imagine the only reason they don't have the same interaction as with a 'Frame is due to it being overlooked, but that's just my guess and could be wrong.

Edited by xXRampantXx
Added link to trailer in case people have't seen it
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

There is a saying I'm fond of, "Sometimes it's not the message, it's the delivery". There are sometimes good ideas that are just not implemented correctly. I think Archwings are a good example. It's almost there... but missing something.

Delivery is irrelevant when people actively refuse to listen.

Archwings, the system that will tie into Railjack, where they specifically said they were looking at it because it had a big part of their plans for Railjack?

I dunno. I think they feel the problem with Archwings is that your warframe should be the center of the entire game... which is why we don't run around in Tenno styled fighters, but instead a space jetpack. The idea being that DE may think it's more immersive if your frame is the one doing the space flying instead of a fighter... that it's more immersive if your frame runs around inside a giant Railjack with teammates instead of blasting from a 3rd party perspective of the ship Eve style. If so, I can see the point to some degree.

I don't see the warframes as the epicenter of Warframe... but the shell for what really is the epicenter. The operator and their connection to the void which powers their abilities to control said frames is the true story. To that end, if the operator is your in game persona, then is the 3rd party perspective from a frame any different or less immersive than from a spaceship?

operators usually evolve with each mainline quest

TSD- operators (yay?) and can appear as a ghost firing waves of powers while floating

TWW- transference - can run around and use powers outside the frame ,pointless except for kuva guards and sentient

update 22 -gara update- amps for operators ,run around like a hunch back due to bad animation

TS- get umbra so you can stay in operator form  , not really a benefit honestly if you havent built up amp /arcane / focus

they are usually useful for stealth , and picking up allies but in majority of game its void dash for most

with duviri we will get the adult form of our operators, that said its not clear if thats outside duviri or if we can switch between them or we get both simultaneously 

4 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

TWW- transference - can run around and use powers outside the frame ,pointless except for kuva guards and sentient

With Hildryn I can run around using my operator all day while she remains useful. It is the only frame I've been able to do this with, and I don't see anyone else with Hidryn doing it. Shame because it can be quite useful. You can buff teammates depending on the school, which I find unairu wisp buffs to be very popular with groups. Whatever damage I do is additive to my frame but I can't out DPS Balefire. So far, it's mostly a super support set up...

Support... from an operator that's powered by a place like the VOID?!? See my issue?

Lore wise, the frame is a glorified can built to contain the terrifying pressure of the void. When you leave it... it should be all hell breaking loose.

I want the old Focus 1.0 powers back. I really miss them. Sure, it's nice having Zenurik's Energizing Dash, and a full power Void Dash is great for getting around fast. But overall the operator feels meh - we play Warframe to use our warframes. Focus 1.0 didn't let us switch to our operator willy nilly, but instead we had to build up our gauge, and then we could spend that gauge unleash a single blast of a power. It felt more impactful, like letting out the void demon for a moment in a display of power, a reminder of why we usually need to contain it within a warframe.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting they remove playable operators after all this time, but I'd love for operators to have an "ultimate" power that gets charged up, similar to the old Focus 1.0 powers.

6 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

It felt more impactful, like letting out the void demon for a moment in a display of power, a reminder of why we usually need to contain it within a warframe.

Or rather, calmed down enough to use it safely. 😉

I think I see why we're now able to use the operator much more, and that it's part of a story progression about the operator character and that they've evolved enough to control their void powers better. I get that... but what if for a brief moment it is actually beneficial to unleash it in full glory?

45 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

With Hildryn I can run around using my operator all day while she remains useful. It is the only frame I've been able to do this with, and I don't see anyone else with Hidryn doing it. Shame because it can be quite useful. You can buff teammates depending on the school, which I find unairu wisp buffs to be very popular with groups. Whatever damage I do is additive to my frame but I can't out DPS Balefire. So far, it's mostly a super support set up...

Support... from an operator that's powered by a place like the VOID?!? See my issue?

Lore wise, the frame is a glorified can built to contain the terrifying pressure of the void. When you leave it... it should be all hell breaking loose.

a few auto attack frames can take advantage of this , but overall is it beneficial to fight as operator without amps, arcanes, focus max ect i dont know 

it would be nice as the original operator appearance did seem more dramatic and powerful then TWW warrior mode

another set of frames

equinox, ember , also work with operator mode i dont recal other off hand but i have used hildryn a few times , most toggle powers frames should work while in operator mode