Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Freindly Fire mode

(XBOX)Duke DEFCON

Thought I'd suggest a higher end game mode for seasoned players.

The idea being that AOEs and direct attacks that hit yourself or friendlies will damage them, unless the power or item is designed specifically with some sort of "friend or foe" recognition. For example, Hildryns Haven deals damage to enemies and buffs teammates. However, if a friendly steps in a beam connected to an enemy, it would damage them.

Zakti, Ignis, and all the other weapons that do AOE... all can cause friendly fire in this game mode. Warframe powers that are intended to unleash indiscriminant power in an area will damage friendlies, like Frost Ice Wave, or the end of Khoras Whipcrack. However, strangledome would not be a friendly fire skill, since the chains select targets.

The one exception to this rule is Melee combat, unless they cause AOE procs, like a gas cloud.

Direct damage attacks will hurt friendlies and pets if the player does not check their targets. If I fire my Rubico into one of my teammates... they'll feel it.

The intention is to give long time experienced Warframe players new considerations in their loadouts and skill playstyles. These players should be very familiar with their weapons and frames, and aware of what an ill aimed skill or weapon can do to their group.

All the same warframes will suddenly have to be played in entirely new ways in order to not obliterate their own team in mission. Instead of constantly focusing on burning down whole rooms of bad guys, this mode will encourage more direct, surgical combat.

New mods might encourage this type of style.

Again, this is a suggested end game mode. Nothing has to be changed with the rest of the game and casual players can continue playing as they do now.

Aside from possible rewards, nothing new has to be created. Just take the training wheels off!

• Like 1

A friendly fire mode is a neat concept and is already pretty fun in captura and the sim, but I can’t see many people playing this mode for endgame content. Whether we like it or not, warframe has turned into a horde shooter and the enemy spawn rates maintain that. If you were to spend time and focus on making sure that you won’t vaporize your teammate every time you attack...you’re just going to get killed. 

I know you advertised this towards the hardcore fan base, but this really seems like something for casual play. It’s really just a gimmick mode; it’s fun to play every now and then, but you’re not going to invest in it too much. The amount of chaos going on at any moment would make anyone who wants serious challenge for serious rewards turn away.

I would be interested in playing it though

29 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

All the same warframes will suddenly have to be played in entirely new ways in order to not obliterate their own team in mission. Instead of constantly focusing on burning down whole rooms of bad guys, this mode will encourage more direct, surgical combat.

yeah, if i remember right - back a that time when - DE tried out friendly fire mode. Team mates is having fun shooting you on the hutt...

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

If the rewards and resources are good enough, it'll discourage greifers.

It could also encourage them.

"Oh hey, we just got a really rare thing, but I'm a $&*^ and I don't care so I'm going to kill everyone because making people suffer gets me off."

2 hours ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

I totally admire the goal.  I'd say though  it's probably safer to have  friendly NPCs/objects/devices that can be harmed by player weapons and  abilities instead. Collateral Damage rather than Friendly Fire.

And I think the ideal way to set it up is that people could still play and succeed using standard indiscriminate AoE, but those wouldn't be the most efficient and/or lucrative tactics.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

The one exception to this rule is Melee combat, unless they cause AOE procs, like a gas cloud.

I think unless its useage is severely restricted or otherwise limited, melee has to be covered by friendly fire rules too.  Otherwise you end up making meme strike polearms and the like an easy end run around those rules.

Which is another good reason to go the collateral damage route rather than true friendly fire.

Edited by Tiltskillet

Bear in mind, I'm thinking this is a mode for truly hard to get stuff. Stuff you can't buy with plat unless another player earned it who is going to ask a lot for it. It's intended to be hard.

The good news for DE, is that they wouldn't have to make a lot of new things or invent new enemies, just change a few rules. The rewards are what will cause people not to grief.

That said, they really need to redo the party forming UI to be more in line with other MMOs who do group forming much better.