Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What i'd change/add on Gauss

JazzberryJam

Welcome to another one of those damned threads. Gauss is cool, i like him. Here are my ideas for improving him after playing with Gauss for a while:

- Passive: Instead of extra shield recharge and less shield delay, i'd give him the ability to fire his weapons without losing movement speed (aiming would probably still slow you down). Maybe his 2 could get the shield thing instead.

- Mach rush: I'd make the damage scale with distance traveled and maybe combined with velocity (but not much on velocity so you don't need to load up all the movespeed buffs to get a decent multiplier).
  When used with redline, all the rockets fired by redline would get picked up and fly along with you, providing extra "fly-by" damage and having X of mach rush damage added to them, where X is redline percent. Then, when you crash with mach rush, the crash has missile damage added to it and the rockets fly off to also deal damage. If Mach rush ends without a crash (by jumping or something), missiles are still launched off, but no crash damage (cuz no crash, duuh).
  When mach rushing through a cold/heat field created by thermal sunder, the crash at the end of the rush will create a new thermal sunder of the same element, for free.

- Kinetic plating: Up the energy conversion to something like 15% and reduce the max battery you can get drained from getting hit to maybe 5%.

- Thermal sunder: Perhaps an increase in the base range by like 3% and lingering effect inside the circle.

- Redline: Have it able to reach 100% after half or even 1/3 of its max duration. Probably half, so it's not completely bonkers.
  More missiles per second when redline reaches 100%.
  Redline animation sped up some.

Feel free to leave your thoughts on these changes, but please present them as informative arguments, not stuff like "that sucks", because that doesn't really say anything.

Edited by JazzberryJam

I haven't played Guass yet but the number 1 thing i would change is add a movement speed buff to redline; it buffs every other form of speed except movement, which doesn't make sense, you are in overdrive how are you not running faster.

But other than that, i like the ideas you added. Maybe make the free thermal sunder be like half the radius so it isn't so overpowered.

2 minutes ago, AndouRaiton said:

I haven't played Guass yet but the number 1 thing i would change is add a movement speed buff to redline; it buffs every other form of speed except movement, which doesn't make sense, you are in overdrive how are you not running faster.

But other than that, i like the ideas you added. Maybe make the free thermal sunder be like half the radius so it isn't so overpowered.

I find that for most standard gameplay, he doesn't really need much move speed. His base is already pretty high, and then you can have amalgam serration and exilus speed mod and it will serve you just fine. Adding more and on an ability might make the frame awkward/harder to control, especially in tight quarters.

The free thermal cast will only appear on a crash, means a good chunk of it will be covered up by map obstacles, so i think the full range is ok.

Edited by JazzberryJam

Just now, Lazarow said:

An augment where he can do sharp turns with his 1 so he is better in smaller maps, is what I wanna see, some person suggested it already and it should be a thing, along with some ability bonus ofcourse

I've not experienced much of a need for that so far. Because the ability can be interupted so easily, you can smoothly do a jump and then transition into another mach rush at the desired new angle. Plus you can light tap mach rush for short dashes.

I tried to think what auguments he could have for mach rush, and i came up with this: during mach rush, projectiles are absorbed, shielding him from harm and adding extra battery through kinetic conversion (flavor scientific explanation).

Just now, Hrodgrim said:

I really like all your ideas, OP. The only thing I'd change, regarding what you posted, is to entirely eliminate the energy cost of Kinetic Plating, make it a toggled power, and have it ONLY consume battery power. 

Yeah, i can see that being kinda cool. Though not sure how i feel about the toggle aspect. Why would someone have it off? And at that point, why wouldn't that be the passive?

1 hour ago, JazzberryJam said:

Yeah, i can see that being kinda cool. Though not sure how i feel about the toggle aspect. Why would someone have it off? And at that point, why wouldn't that be the passive?

It makes sense. You dont get the 100% dr unless your battery (and redline battery) are at 100% charge, but since redline is duration based you cannot have permanent 100% dr. However, if you mistime redline, or get stuck in a nulli-bubble, you lose your battery, which therefore turns off kinetic plating since  it cant use the battery as a resource if there is no resource.