Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Djinn - Not Really Fulfilling Any Wishes, This One.

Ced23Ric

After reading Scott's response, I'd definitely say there's a difference between being APPROACHED by an enemy, and being ATTACKED by an enemy.  That, combined with poor trigger conditions, might be the major details of what makes FA feel like a mess.

I really hope the "attract" mechanic isn't just some old-school threat slapped on FA.

Edited by NuclearFlapjacks

It makes me think of a caterpillar when you don't have the Crystallis wings. Then when you do it becomes a Butterfly!

Also in all seriousness....

Fatal Attraction on Survival Missions causes mobs lost far off in the other areas of the map to head to the current room you are in. Makes saving time and oxygen hunting them down for O2-packs a lot ezer. And the farm is incredible.

Think of Fatal Attraction as a small radio signal sent out to the enemy mobs on their mini-maps, when Fatal Attraction goes of, a big red dot appears on their map and they head to it, orrrrr in other terms a big objective sign is floating on their screen urging them on to a given area of the map, YOU!!!

It does not cause aggro, does not deal damage, and does not do anything too particular other then the above ^ It is not recommended for missions that the enemy already have an objective in, such as Defense Missions, Mobile Defense, Spy Missions, Captures. But works great for Exterminates (mobs in adjacent rooms, even further then what your weapons sound will aggro, come to you) and my all time favorite Survivals!

Edited by FoxRabbit

Also I'm either doing something wrong or right....

But my Djinn attacks mobs at 50m+.... with a shotgun >.<

(And it never misses)

Add Cryo rounds and it's usually dead at the 30-40m mark, it's actually becoming a problem for me leveling any new weapons.

Dang thing is too strong! Sapping all my exp.

*You need a fully leveled "Thumper Mod" for him to attack at 50m+*

Edited by FoxRabbit

@FoxRabbit, while I wonder how you got that information (IE, seeing distant rooms) or discern those differences, I just had a weird fluke of timing upon trying to test that.  I equipped Ash and the Enemy Sense mod, and went into M Prime in Mercury.  I used Smoke Screen in a room full of enemies, ran to another room with ONE enemy, Fatal Attraction activated, and multiple rooms of enemies (including the previous) started charging in to follow me while I was still cloaked.

I'm not sure how to interpret that though.  Fatal Attraction would normally blow my cover upon activation, maybe saying "HAI, AGGRESSION HERE"?... dunno.

Of course, if that IS an actual function of Fatal Attraction, Scott's response might still be indirect, and we're still left to speculation.  Of course, if it was an OP farming thing, I could see why they'd avoid hyping it.

Edit: When I say "Charging in", I mean they were absolutely rushing.  It was like someone nearby was offering bacon.

Edited by NuclearFlapjacks

Fatal Attraction on Survival Missions causes mobs lost far off in the other areas of the map to head to the current room you are in. Makes saving time and oxygen hunting them down for O2-packs a lot ezer. And the farm is incredible.

Think of Fatal Attraction as a small radio signal sent out to the enemy mobs on their mini-maps, when Fatal Attraction goes of, a big red dot appears on their map and they head to it, orrrrr in other terms a big objective sign is floating on their screen urging them on to a given area of the map, YOU!!!

This is/would be difficult to test & confirm. How do you know the mobs are coming from other areas of the map when you can't see beyond a single tile? Based on my own experience with zorencoptering hundreds of nightmare mode maps, the spawn system does not seed the entire level at once because honestly, I don't think the engine could even handle it (ever run an exterminate mission and just rushed the exit?)

Speaking of the Carrier, I would probably rate it as the best Sentinel. A strong, solid weapon and great utility (altough Vacuum is buggy at times).

Djinn aint got nothing on the flying squash.

I just use Carrier with Stinger. The stinger is so good that I'm ok with what I payed just for it. I don't even intend to level Djin especially after I noticed that leveling a sentinel doesn't give you mastery.

But seriously, I can see where you're coming from.

I have a Djinn, and although it may not be close to comparison to Dethcube; it still does it's job.

Do you feel that if we lowered the cost people would be more inclined to make it?

I've heard good and bad things about Djinn so I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

Megan your a kickass community mod, with the red hair and the Zelda tattoo I can't get mad at you ever which SUCKS haha jp ;P

Nah but your responses are real and not dumbed down or "defaulted" if you will. So keep it up..

Now, The Djinn... His ability just needs to be reworked. Mod says one thing, ability does another (aoe damage it seems like) and it only seems to work on occasion. Hell do the charge up and sometimes ill see enemies melt, other times he charges up then just starts firing again. Very odd

Edited by icosta27

"... I have 70% steel fibre and a fair bit of health and shield+ on it and it still dies, in seconds, it cant hit distant enemies so im left to kill anything

equipping regen and spare parts is no reason to use this sentinel, tbh spare parts is a very poor idea for a sentinel mod, your aim is to keep it alive to help you, not kill it off as many times as you can to farm mats in the hope of getting a rare, what was going through your mind here? there is a serious lack of any abilities that help a sentinel other than armour, shields and health, the only things you can put on is guardian, which is probably the best mod there is atm for sents, sanctuary is a crapshoot if it shields or not, very often it doesn't..."

This brings something I've been curious about to light. Each of the sentinels say "0 armor" in the loadout list. A % boost to 0 is still 0, so steel fiber is essentially worthless on sentinels at this time. Is that going to be changed, to a solid number, instead of a percent, or are the sentinels going to be given an armor rating? They truly are squishy squishy. Shield and Health can only go so far - especially against toxic ancient poison (above lvl 70).

Sentinels are designed for support, I know, but having an ability like Fatal Attraction seems kind of silly when the thing will go up in 2 hits.

That being said, I don't see myself ever using anything other than my Sweeper with its awesome shotty and vacuum. Vacuum + ammo mutate = win. Every time; The Ancient Disruptor + vacuum is definitely a waste of energy, and I don't know if that will ever be fixed, but I suppose there has to be a down side to every good mod.

I'm still playing around with Djinn!

Patch 10.3.0 (Hump day!) mentioned "Improved logic for drawing enemy fire while using Rhino’s Iron Skin ability and Djinn Sentinel Fatal Attraction precept."

-I'm definitely seeing enemies choosing to fire at Djinn more reliably, and enemies are definitely choosing to shoot Djinn during Fatal Attraction over my Rhino with during Iron Skin. 

-I see Djinn's shields are still being damaged during Fatal Attraction (Crouching against a wall and pointing the camera upwards for the right camera angle)

I'd also note, I was in a survival mission (Nimus, Eris), and Fatal Attraction's damaging attack was 1-shotting lvl 80 light infested when it managed to activate.  I'm not sure how long it's been this strong, or if it's even strongER (Did not witness vs ancients), or if there was a reason it was so strong in such situations.

Note to all - there are folks on the wiki saying that they tested the DOT in conclave and that it is doing around 11 damage.  My guess is that it is actually 12 (50% of base, rounded down).  This is more similar to Acrid which is 75% of base damage, rounded down.  If the ticks are like acrid in that there are 4 of them, that means that one shot from the stinger does...   73 poison base damage - an armor ignoring damage type.   This is compared to 72 base on the sweeper with a non-armor ignoring damage type - probably impact damage (despite the wiki currently listing laser which is probably wrong).

Translation - this natively does more damage than the sweeper and it ignores armor which means that this has the best sentinel weapon in the game.  It just isn't as flashy because it doesn't launch mobs across the room after it kills them and doesn't go "boom boom boom" when it shoots.

The reason to build this sentinel is because its weapon is ridiculously strong.  My go to combo is going to be carrier with a stinger equipped....

Does Fatal Attraction have damage immunity during its "charge up"? It sure would make a lot of sense and justify its cost!!!

I never see my Sentinels die. They are just gone at some point :P

So who knows :)

Without the damage immunity or at least a damage reduction (meh) this ability sure sucks. But yeah, DE is generally quite clumsy with giving detail for their mechanics.

I am currently using Djinn to get Djinn (I don't like its name tbh) to 30 but whatever is or will be. The Carriers vacuum cleaner is still my favourite. Not necessarely because its fun itself but because the game is so much more enjoyable with it.

I think most people used the Carrier before getting Djinn so maybe thats another reason why everyone is so disappointed of Djinn.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Djinn today after I betrayed my beliefs and did the Grineer missions last night for the materials -_-

Here's what I noticed:

Stinger: Firing at a stationary enemy at 20m distance, 75% of the darts will miss the target, hitting the area around it. Easily tested on Io / Callisto / Xini when that random Infested spawns on top of the locker on the far left wall, near the conveyor belt "crate-tunnel". It has decent damage, but it is inaccurate and slow.  DoT not something I could see, holding my crosshair on the target affected by Stinger's darts, so no idea if it is broken or not.

Fatal Attraction: I would call it "The Suicide Mod". It alerts all enemies in the area of your presence (so they immediatly run towards alarm panels to engage lockdown/alert mode), and is especially cute when there's Grineer Bombards or Napalms around. "HEY GUYS, SHOOT HERE! :D"

While Cloaked with Loki/Ash, FA will still trigger, and nearby enemies may decide to attack the sentinel even if they can't see it (and usually hit you in the process, too!). However, it does NOT seem to trigger its miasma even if you're surrounded by 5+ dudes while still cloaked.

Can't say what the damage is, with how rarely it triggers, but it is safe to say that the range I have to be in to possibly trigger any damage, is uncomfortably small. Having to literally hug 2+ enemies for a chance to deal damage, I rather kill them from a safe distance. This goes for all factions, as having a bunch of Infested right on your toes is a death sentence, or getting clobbered by grineer troops...not cool.

I would say that the Stinger needs its projectile speed upgraded and maybe the AI can be changed so it learns how to lead targets, or make the darts home into targets on their own. It would make somewhat sense with Djinn's theme.

As for Fatal Attraction and how to improve it... there's many possibilities.

One interesting idea would be that Djinn casts a Link between grouped enemies, causing the damage dealt to any of them to be transferred to the others as well, that would somewhat keep the name fitting. Higher ranks increase the range and amount of enemies that can be linked, and the damage percentage transferred.

Another option would be to just fire Miasma outwards in a cone, hitting all enemies inside of it and dealing the 4-tick damage that way.

Edited by ScorpDK

i have build most of the sentinels except deathcube.

the price is expensive yes, but i could live with it because so this one stay a bit more unique.

Also since you can change weapons on sentinels, the weapon should have no influence on his usability.

(also i think the the poson darts does a good damage, and i have played him all the way till level 30 and he has killed a lot of (weak) enemies (no potato). Many enemies stand if they shoot, so it is able to hit them. (but maybe a bit of more accuracy and shoot with the movement direction would be nice)

the problem i have that it has no real use regarding the other sentinels.

Deathcube: high damage 1 target attack

Ghost: make the user invisible, nice for short breaks or reloding

Wyrm: nice fast aoe stun with good range (could be used every 15 sec / range 10 m)

Carrier: no attack but nice effect for collecting mats

And what would you say to djiins ability? half the day the ability is loading and whats its effect?

can be used every 30 sec, has a 5 sec charge time where he attract a lot of enemy fire and often dies.

If he suvive he does 150 dmg over 4 ticks (so around 4 sec) where the enemy is stunned. Range 5m.

All in all i would prever Wyrm over Djinn because both go to the same direction with their ability: to stun the enemy (this litte damage could be ignored i think)

What im missing for this sentinel is something that make him unique, atm its for his effect similar to wyrm, but outclassed by him.

i expect from this sentinel something like that it pulls enemies (maybe because of the german desription, it is told that it pulls enemies close towards the sentinel.)

Maybe one could realize it a bit different, the Djinn mark the closest target, and all enemies around it (maybe 10m) were pulled to this target.)

Edited by MuhhhhKuh

Honestly, I used the sentinel maybe five times, because I need a sentinel that actually does something. I think what people are missing is the fact that it's designed to fight infested. It is pretty dumb that a sentinel so expensive is pretty much useless against two out of three factions, but I understand that one forma is for the sentinel and one is for the gun. I use the gun constantly, it's the only one I use. it does crazy high damage when modded properly (I'm on my third forma for it), but only when you're really close, because of the flight speed and targeting. (On a related note, there is a bug where carrier shoots the ground under enemies when they are held in a Bastille, or any other ability that changes their y coordinate.)

Djinn seems to die instantly when it's main ability is used against anything but infested, and the gun only works at short range.
So, two problems, two fixes.
Drastically increase flight time of projectiles, and/or decrease or even remove the bolt curve.

Then make it invincible, or very close to it, while using fatal attraction so that it pulls fire away from you without dying instantly.

Just some balancing advice from your friendly neighborhood Coatduck, I hope this was useful!

Edited by Coatduck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I now have all the sentinals, The Djinn is the snipers pet. Its default gun how ever is inaccurate and so you wont get to benefit from that early in the leveling of the pet. The Djinns weapon is extremely viable for other sentinals however. IE carrier (mwahaha POWER!) 

So far this pet is worth building because of its targeting range. You will be able to equip a better weapon for long range and own with this pet. 

*WARNING* this pet will steal all the xp at high ranks. 

So far the pets Fatal Attraction ability doesn't appear to do much of anything except sparkle. I expect improvements in the future.

*edit* Do Not Use Heavy Caliber on this pet! The accuracy will be absolutely laughable

Edited by JaekovKurosaki

I'm more concerned about the next companion release than the Djinn. Largely because if we did make its numbers bigger it may kill things, but would still do so blandly and without utility to its abilities. I expect a frame with a small powerful cloud affect will emerge sooner or later that will make this sentinel a little more interesting.

Can definitely see the point. It would perhaps remedy the situation for many classes if activating fatal attraction provided a base armor bonus of two hundred, for a four second period after activation, for both sentential and frame. Then it would auto gib less at least.

But seriously, I can see where you're coming from.

I have a Djinn, and although it may not be close to comparison to Dethcube; it still does it's job.

Do you feel that if we lowered the cost people would be more inclined to make it?

I've heard good and bad things about Djinn so I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

I don't have Djinn. But I do have Intel on him. It's a Mixed bag and its all bad. Too expensive, Not durable enough, 'Fatal attraction' is literal, Weapon couldn't hit the broadside of a Grineer Galleon. From what I'm seeing, Djinn is perhaps the worst in-game investment. Wether I own one or not, the setinel is practically dead the instant it's blueprint is purchased. This is, yes, a bad juxtaposition, and it needs to be fixed.(on a positive note, Its range is phenominal. all we need now is a slow-firing, sniper-like weapon for him)

Edited by AdeptJR