Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

This is the 1/2 greyed out warframe problem. You need to turn off DX11 to make it go away.

And here I was thinking he/she's referring to the colors, not even noticing the real issue at hand XD Thanks for clearing this up ;P

Yep, your log looks fine. Are you running Warframe in 64bit mode? And SweetFX?

I also recommend checking with the guide in post #1 and verify you installed all the files and properly.

i dun checklist 64 bit and drx 11 though. should i checklist 64bit to make sweetfx work?

and i am now using D3DOverrider before i launch the warframe launcher.

does D3DOverrider make sweetfx not working?

Edited by eraze93

i dun checklist 64 bit and drx 11 though. should i checklist 64bit to make sweetfx work?

and i am now using D3DOverrider before i launch the warframe launcher.

does D3DOverrider make sweetfx not working?

Sorry for late reply.

I'm not particularly familiar with D3DOverrider...try running "bare Warframe" i.e. without other programs (except SweetFX if you count that as one) and see what happens. If you have the 32bit version of SweetFX then leave 64bit in Warframe launcher OFF -- that should automatically include DX11 too of course.

Edited by xxx7

What settings do you use? You could mess up the colors in theory, but that's not SweetFX messing up, that's one using the wrong settings for colors. AA does not play a role in this as it's something completely different in concept -- AA smooths out the edges along objects.

I'll copy-paste the settings.txt file I'm using, I'm not sure which settings in the file in particular have a role in this issue.

Tell me if you want me to do so by PM or here.

Edited by Vintovka

I'll copy-paste the settings.txt file I'm using, I'm not sure which settings in the file in particular have a role in this issue.

Tell me if you want me to do so by PM or here.

Unfortunately sushidubya is right, it is exactly this:

This is the 1/2 greyed out warframe problem. You need to turn off DX11 to make it go away.

So far no one has found another solution to fix it...

I feel injectors actually do come in very handily

Very much so ;)

Then I shall try that solution. Hope I don't lose too much by turning it off.

Thank you!

Fortunately, Warframe does not make a lot of use of DX11 anyways, so you will hardly lose anything. Only difference there is (at least on my end) is no tessellation for the trees, but I can deal with that.

sigh, idunno if i even want to bother, but let's give it a whirl.

this is attempt 2 of using an Injector for Warframe.

as with what happened the first time, i try to inject SMAA - and - they never actually apply. InjectSMAA did actually create it's log, but never wrote to it. SweetFX doesn't ever even write a log.

the basics:

- the Launcher, and both Executables are set to run Administrator.

- tried putting most of the files in the Tools folder, no change.

- Warframe is not running it's low quality FXAA, nor am i changing any AA related settings in my Drivers, everything is default.

- using the correct applicable DirectX hook DLL's for the Bit Depth Architecture i'm running Warframe in.

- have tried switching DirectX Renderers, no change.

and, this is why i've all but given up on injectors, as apparently, they simply do not hook or attempt to hook. following instructions to the letter should atleast fail, not just do nothing.

Edited by taiiat

SweetFX version: 1.5/Boulotaur2024 Injector. +Chromatic Aberration Shader is working fine for me on windows 8.1 with nvidia graphics.No gray outs, everything works fine for me. SMAA is working perfectly. I'm running in directx 11 with the 64 bit client. No problems.

A link to the version I'm currently using, because digging through the thread in the guru3d forums can be a hassle. You'll have to come up with your own settings though, or manually convert a preset from one of the other versions over. Sorry, it's just the original link I downloaded from, so it doesn't have any of my settings.

Edited by RedDirtTrooper

The 1/2 problem is rarely in most cases. Its usually there but on most old to new tilesets this is no issue. I will rather have full potential eyecandy with little glitches on a frame and a grass piece over there then a toned down game. SweetFX was to make it better, not worse :D 

Also, question for DX11, what is the difference? What key features does warframe use with DX11? That might answer my question. 

The 1/2 problem is rarely in most cases. Its usually there but on most old to new tilesets this is no issue. I will rather have full potential eyecandy with little glitches on a frame and a grass piece over there then a toned down game. SweetFX was to make it better, not worse :D 

Also, question for DX11, what is the difference? What key features does warframe use with DX11? That might answer my question. 

Honestly, I've never turned it off, so I don't know.

But I really don't have the 1/2 problem at all with the version of sweetfx I linked. I have seen it when I played with other versions getting my set up how I wanted it, but using the boulotaur injector version it just doesn't show up at all.

SweetFX version: 1.5/Boulotaur2024 Injector. +Chromatic Aberration Shader is working fine for me on windows 8.1 with nvidia graphics.No gray outs, everything works fine for me. SMAA is working perfectly. I'm running in directx 11 with the 64 bit client. No problems.

A link to the version I'm currently using, because digging through the thread in the guru3d forums can be a hassle. You'll have to come up with your own settings though, or manually convert a preset from one of the other versions over. Sorry, it's just the original link I downloaded from, so it doesn't have any of my settings.

I'm going to have to give this build a try, because all other builds I've used still have the 1/2 grey issue.  Thanks for sharing that.  =)

- Warframe is not running it's low quality FXAA, nor am i changing any AA related settings in my Drivers, everything is default.

You said you tried to put everything on the Tools folder but that may be the wrong folder depending on which version of Warframe you're running. If you haven't done it already, try to put the files in the Warframe folder instead. That's the one containing "Warframe.exe" or "Warframe.x64.exe".

Just to be sure, you already turned the in-game anti-aliasing off, right?

sigh, idunno if i even want to bother, but let's give it a whirl.

this is attempt 2 of using an Injector for Warframe.

as with what happened the first time, i try to inject SMAA - and - they never actually apply. InjectSMAA did actually create it's log, but never wrote to it. SweetFX doesn't ever even write a log.

the basics:

- the Launcher, and both Executables are set to run Administrator.

- using the correct applicable DirectX hook DLL's for the Bit Depth Architecture i'm running Warframe in.

- have tried switching DirectX Renderers, no change.

and, this is why i've all but given up on injectors, as apparently, they simply do not hook or attempt to hook. following instructions to the letter should atleast fail, not just do nothing.

I decided a moment ago to try SweetFX on Warframe again and it kept crashing on startup. I know you said you tried putting most of the files in Tools, but keeping the injector dll (dxgi.dll for Dx11) in the base game folder with the two Warframe executables while moving all the other files to Tools is what fixed it for me, so if you didn't do that exactly, try it.

Edited by BlueA10

Just to be sure, you already turned the in-game anti-aliasing off, right?

Warframe is not running it's low quality FXAA

i also said the Log wasn't being created, so it wasn't running at all anyways.

Edit:

why did i even freaking bother to write a list of the first things i'd be told that i had already done if everyone will just say them again :v

yes, i moved all of the files other than the injector hooks into the Tools folder, and nothing changed.

Edited by taiiat

i also said the Log wasn't being created, so it wasn't running at all anyways.

Edit:

why did i even freaking bother to write a list of the first things i'd be told that i had already done if everyone will just say them again :v

yes, i moved all of the files other than the injector hooks into the Tools folder, and nothing changed.

It's just that in all my installs of SweetFX I've NEVER moved anything into the "tools" folder.  I just copied all of the files in the packages mentioned earlier in this thread into the main warframe folder where the warframe executables are.

I have it running on both windows 7 and windows 8.1 computers too.

Look...  We know you'e frustrated with it not working, but...  You're the one asking for help.  Everyone is suggesting what they think is wrong.  Take it easy.

Please let us know more and we'll try our best to help.

Edited by sushidubya

Please let us know more and we'll try our best to help.

it's nigh impossible to come up with more information when there's no log of it failing to hook - but i suppose theoretically the lack of a log being created means something is wrong, but nothing... is.

it's nigh impossible to come up with more information when there's no log of it failing to hook - but i suppose theoretically the lack of a log being created means something is wrong, but nothing... is.

Yeah so, I just want to know..  How did you install it?

Did you take the same sweetFX package that I described in the install guide and simply copy that to the warframe directory?

I didn't have to copy anything into the tools folder.

I seriously believe you've copied the files into the wrong place.

Did you take the same sweetFX package that I described in the install guide and simply copy that to the warframe directory?

I seriously believe you've copied the files into the wrong place.

i've used both the 1.4 x64 release that's been suggested, as well as SweetFX 1.5.1. have tried putting all files in the Executable folder for both, and have tried moving everything but the Injector Hooks into the Tools folder for both.

Edit:

and deleted all files relating to SweetFX before changing versions to make sure i don't get partial copies.

Edited by taiiat