Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

Does sweetfx cause lag ? Because i don't think my pc can handle so much swag , i dont want to keep crashing

If you're talking about fps drops then nope, not on my end, and my setup isn't particularly fancy. Just give it a shot! In worst case you'll be back to what you are now.

It didn't work. :(

Are you running Steam or non-Steam? Also, make sure you're not running other programs in the background such as Fraps or TS3 overlay. We'll turn them back on later once we got it running.

I just tried Reshade aka SweetFX 2.0 and works perfect for me...why don't you uninstall everything again and download RawGritz's package here, then dump it's contents into

Non-Steam

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

Steam

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

which should've been your previous install folder.

If this doesn't help, I have a few more things we can work on, so don't lose hope yet =)

Just an update: So apparently it works 1/10 times.  I can close and reopen warframe a whole bunch of times, and randomly it will work a couple times.  No changes in settings, nothing, just open the game and hope I get lucky.

Are you running anything like Radeon Pro or MSI Afterburner? Maybe you have some sort of conflict.

Just an update: So apparently it works 1/10 times.  I can close and reopen warframe a whole bunch of times, and randomly it will work a couple times.  No changes in settings, nothing, just open the game and hope I get lucky.

Besides what Sushidubya already asked, did you have the normal SweetFX running OK before or is Reshade your first try?

this should be a sticky in the PhP section

I should really update OP with a few things that changed overtime, but agreed! This has evolved into a nice tutorial (+ feedback and support haha).

No overlays running, and sweetfx worked fine when going through radeonpro.

That might just be your issue. Try using either or, but not both. Can only imagine the two fighting over .dlls and whatnot xD

Of related interest...

SweetFx+Reshade works in Titanfall, which previously would only work with RadeonPro workaround. Now you don't need RadeonPro. Dump everything in... "Titanfall\bin\x64_retail" directory.

Titanfall DLC is completely free as of today, incidentally. 

I should really update OP with a few things that changed overtime, but agreed! This has evolved into a nice tutorial (+ feedback and support haha).

That might just be your issue. Try using either or, but not both. Can only imagine the two fighting over .dlls and whatnot xD

I am not running both at once, I am just saying that sweetfx worked fine when using radeonpro, but sweetfx with reshade, and reshade itself, does not.

I am not running both at once, I am just saying that sweetfx worked fine when using radeonpro, but sweetfx with reshade, and reshade itself, does not.

So odd. SweetFx+Reshade works without a hitch for me on Win 8.1, GTX 980 and current WHQL 347.52 drivers.

Edited by RawGritz

Just out of curiosity, does SweetFX by itself work? That is, the SFX from OP, no Reshade, no RadeonPro, etc.

Hey everybody!

It's been a while and I just wanted to offer my latest settings for Warframe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abgiosz7gfjrk21/SweetFX_Settings%20-%20Sharp%20and%20Clean%20April%202015.txt?dl=0

Something about these settings is that I've tried to make the game look a bit more detailed, without sharpening too much.  Have a look.

Without SweetFX:

WF%20Sweet%20FX%20Off.png

and With SweetFX:

WF%20Sweet%20FX%20On.png

Please leave feedback or if you'd like me to tweak it a bit for you PM me. Enjoy!

Hey. I wanna use the Gaussian Blur setting (namely 0, or Blur), but it takes a huge chunk off of my FPS (basically a 20 FPS drop from before). Is there a possible setting that I can use so that I can experience a less drop, while still have the affects visually appealing?

Hey. I wanna use the Gaussian Blur setting (namely 0, or Blur), but it takes a huge chunk off of my FPS (basically a 20 FPS drop from before). Is there a possible setting that I can use so that I can experience a less drop, while still have the affects visually appealing?

Would have to look into it, but unfortunately I do not see me playing anything anytime soon (busy).

@Sushidubya: Nice, liking the screenies ;) Are you using Reshade or standard?

Would have to look into it, but unfortunately I do not see me playing anything anytime soon (busy).

@Sushidubya: Nice, liking the screenies ;) Are you using Reshade or standard?

Everything X said!

BTW - Reshade+SweetFx 2.0 working fabulously in GTA V.

Reshade does not like Dirty Bomb. But older sweetfx 1.5/1.4 is fine.

I've never heard of Reshade before. How is it?

Quite good. Basically SweetFX overhauled with more options, of which I have yet to try and test most. Here's Rawgritz's package if you wanna give it a shot:

Here's the whole kit and caboodle I am using. Setting file is within SweetFx folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xco879s3bzdgqt3/SweetFx_2.0_Reshade_custom_WF.zip

Hi

I just found on search, thanks for the work u have put into this to look WF great !!

Before install should i need to change any settings in WF options ?

I tried to install sharp and clean but it somehow stuck in login screen, any updated version of this ? coz WF continuously getting hotfixes

Pls help

Thank you

so i followed the instructions exactly (placed the files in the main folder. replaced the old SweetFX_settings with the new one [detailed warframe] and it seems like it still won't work...) i activated the split screen but it just seems like it dosen't want to work... i did disable AA in game but still no difference in game... i do have an NVIDIA graphics card but i don't think that's the problem...

UPDATE: i replaced the files with the one in the 64x folder and it seems to be working now!

Edited by lightdragon64

Hi

I just found on search, thanks for the work u have put into this to look WF great !!

Before install should i need to change any settings in WF options ?

I tried to install sharp and clean but it somehow stuck in login screen, any updated version of this ? coz WF continuously getting hotfixes

Pls help

Thank you

Thank you! Quite a few of us here have put in a lot of time and effort with passion, so it's always good to hear others are enjoying it ;)

Warframe's hotfixes have only helped/improved things thus far, but getting to the point: Make sure you followed the tutorial in OP to the letter. How is it stuck in login screen? I.e. what do you get or see after hitting play in the launcher? There isn't a simply "newer" version of this, but there are 3 variations out there: 1) default SweetFX 2) SweetFX 64bit modified version 3) Reshade aka SweetFX 2.0.

so i followed the instructions exactly (placed the files in the main folder. replaced the old SweetFX_settings with the new one [detailed warframe] and it seems like it still won't work...) i activated the split screen but it just seems like it dosen't want to work... i did disable AA in game but still no difference in game... i do have an NVIDIA graphics card but i don't think that's the problem...

UPDATE: i replaced the files with the one in the 64x folder and it seems to be working now!

Looks like you were running WF in 64bit mode and used the 32bit files from SweetFX. Keep us posted and let me know if you have any more problems or questions =)

Edited by xxx7

Thank you! Quite a few of us here have put in a lot of time and effort with passion, so it's always good to hear others are enjoying it ;)

Warframe's hotfixes have only helped/improved things thus far, but getting to the point: Make sure you followed the tutorial in OP to the letter. How is it stuck in login screen? I.e. what do you get or see after hitting play in the launcher? There isn't a simply "newer" version of this, but there are 3 variations out there: 1) default SweetFX 2) SweetFX 64bit modified version 3) Reshade aka SweetFX 2.0.

Thanks for the reply mate.

When i click play button, all i see was black screen and i can still hear the sound in the background..So i quickly searched the term 'black screen' in this thread..thankfully i found couple of posts that players having the same issue,

there were few fixes to try but surprisingly the first attempt trying in borderless screen worked !! and i'm using 64bit version.

Now the splitcreen working fine and i can see the difference..

once again thanks for the settings mate. :thumbs up:

Thanks for the reply mate.

When i click play button, all i see was black screen and i can still hear the sound in the background..So i quickly searched the term 'black screen' in this thread..thankfully i found couple of posts that players having the same issue,

there were few fixes to try but surprisingly the first attempt trying in borderless screen worked !! and i'm using 64bit version.

Now the splitcreen working fine and i can see the difference..

once again thanks for the settings mate. :thumbs up:

Awesome, glad you got it working ;)