Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sustainable Content idea #2... | Player-made Levels |

Kingsmount

Idea #1: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1127953-risk-of-frame-new-game-mode-roguelike/

Idea #2:

Give us a Player Studio,  let us create our own custom levels.  Unlike normal missions,  these are exact maps as the player made them, not rand-  Well,  I guess you could give us the option to create random levels as well, designing our own tweaked tile pieces. 

Script markers for specific triggers and results of them,  some people might make Chains of Harrow type missions, others unique defense missions.

Let us play with things as well;  Such as spawning shield drones with 400% the normal shield output.   Bombards four times their normal size with four times the armor, health, and fire rate that can either randomly spawn and/or is a scripted spawn as a "Boss" for Wave 10 and so on.

Object placement, of course.   Some players might make puzzle games using spy vault and lua tools.   Hide buttons all over the map,  in hidden corners,  create speed trials...

How you decide to allow reward structures to work with the player content is totally up to you.  Obviously there still needs to be a reward,  gameplay that is actually fun with infinite content is one thing... but it will still feel horrible to play if it's essentially a "waste of time" without rewards.   

There can be Unrated and Rated maps,   Rated Maps are vetted to allow rewards, Unrated maps are unvetted without rewards; or perhaps the only reward you get is affinity and focus for them.

Player made levels could be accessed with a UI similar to the Dojo access on Navigation,  it might be accessed through the transference machine similar to my suggestion for the roguelike,   who knows.

But once I thought of this,  it makes perfect sense for the game and could be exactly what Warframe is missing.

Edited by Kingsmount
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

But once I thought of this,  it makes perfect sense for the game and could be exactly what Warframe is missing.

Does it really? It sounds like a waste of time to me. I have not really tried it in other games though.

• Like 1

There's nothing new, though. How is this sustainable content and not the existing game?

Players totally miss anything more nuanced than a baseball bat to the face and they are supposed to come up with compelling stories featuring bulletsponges with kooky hijinks scripted in.

21 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

perhaps the only reward you get is affinity and focus for them.

So a race to make the most braindead affinity farm, then?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Does it really? It sounds like a waste of time to me. I have not really tried it in other games though.

Then don't touch it, that's your weird choice.

Meanwhile others can enjoy designing and sharing custom level design,  and/or playing unique experiences from the host of shared levels. 

User generation is one of the main cornerstones of sustainable content responsible for incredible communities that thrive for a long time while providing a abundance of opportunities not just for players, but for content creators to share and make videos off of as well.

36 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

There's nothing new, though. How is this sustainable content and not the existing game?

Players totally miss anything more nuanced than a baseball bat to the face and they are supposed to come up with compelling stories featuring bulletsponges with kooky hijinks scripted in.

Your train of thought is remarkably limited.    

Featured levels,  pulling up levels spotlighted by content creators,   organized lists of user rated and vetted levels.   You wont be playing low effort junk if you don't want to, the same as any game with such a system whether it's Mario, or Doom.   Neverwinter I believe goes even further with a whole quest system, if I remember right.

Edited by Kingsmount

12 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

Then don't touch it, that's your weird choice.

Why do you call it a weird choice? 

13 minutes ago, Kingsmount said:

User generation is one of the main cornerstones of sustainable content responsible for incredible communities that thrive for a long time while providing a abundance of opportunities not just for players, but for content creators to share and make videos off of as well.

Do you have any actual evidence of this statement? I know many games that have sustainable and enjoyable content that lack User Generation.

• This seems like it would be something primarily aimed at Content Creators. 
  • Like 1

On 2019-10-16 at 12:26 PM, krc473 said:

Thus you have no say in this matter.

At TC, this idea has potential. When we look at all the dojo competitions and dojos showcased in Devstreams, there are clearly some talented players in the community that design elaborate interiors, and turn their dojo halls and trade rooms into works of art.

These people could probably design great levels too. Like a Tennogen - but for levels.

In terms of rewards, I think this could be the way it works overall

1) Player designs a level

2) Player shares / publish a level

3) Other players test play and rate the level. To give minor incentive for people to spend time rating the level, a rater could get a small reward like a relic for each level he rates, and maybe you can do this 3 times a day.. (to prevent possible abuse when someone just creates a mission that is literally: mission starts > take 5 steps forward > mission ends, free relic! DE could also prevent this abuse within the level designer itself, like stipulating the mission needs a minimum of X size and X number of objectives to even be published for peer player review)

4) Once the level has been rated to a certain threshold, and other players have given it... maybe, 1000 upvotes in total. It moves to DE's attention

5) DE has a player level creation manager that reviews these upvoted levels and makes sure the upvoted content is not just upvoted because its a literal loot cave with insane potential to farm xp and stuff beyond anyone's wildest imagination. If the level passes this check, or DE might make some adjustments themselves to the created level, and finally seems balanced, it's accepted and passed on to...

7) Reward / game economy department at DE to decide how this mode should be rewarding to players. The mission is recognized officially and might get its own rotation A, B, C reward  system if the system applies

Edited by Xepthrichros