Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A baffling flaw with individual extract: still drawing aggro

TARINunit9

Individual extract in Survival and Excavation (and by extension Disruption). A thing we all said we wanted, a thing DE gave to us, a thing that I agree was conceptually a good idea. And in the age of Arbitrations it's a kinda necessary thing, if one person feels they aren't able to hold up as long as the rest of the team or has an IRL emergency to deal with. But there's one thing, one rather baffling design flaw, that keeps it from reaching its full potential:

New enemies that spawn can choose to have players waiting for individual extract as their aggro targets

I can't think of a good reason to do this. Not a gameplay reason, anyway, only a lore reason about merciless hit squads. Existing enemies, sure, they should remain aggro'd to you to prevent easy AI breaking exploits. But why, from a gameplay perspective, would newly spawned enemies choose the player who is trying to leave the mission and gang up on him? Not only is it unfun for a player to be pinned down by enemies they have already chosen not to fight anymore to keep piling onto him anyway, but it means the players deciding to stay are getting fewer enemy spawns themselves

This gets especially bad in those aforementioned Arbitrations, where the entire reason you're choosing to extract is that you don't think you can handle the enemies anymore, but sitting at extract leaves you at an even worse position.

On top of that, Transference has a REALLY bad habit of STARTING YOUR EXTRACT TIMER ALL OVER AGAIN, so you can't even spam Energizing Dash or Mending Dash to keep yourself alive, because there's no way only one cast of those abilities is going to tide you over for the full 60 seconds

Also coco, if you're reading this: yes, I was "weak". Because I had to LEAVE and I just wanted to EXTRACT. That's willfully weak

• Like 2

What might be the solution to this?

If you can drop aggro by hanging near extraction,
then the whole squad does that for 55 sec, steps off,
starts the timer again.

That is a real tricky situation.
You'd have to have a stealth frame just in case an irl emergency came up or it's your fault..
Or you'd need a random party to help usher you out and make their lives a bit harder in the process.
Yeesh.

I wonder if there is a right answer here?

Only things that comes to mind as sure things..
perhaps Post Railjack, being able to just dip out on your archwing and get far enough away..
or near-instant extracts.

20 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

What might be the solution to this?

If you can drop aggro by hanging near extraction,
then the whole squad does that for 55 sec, steps off,
starts the timer again.

Well if the whole squad is sitting in Extract (the green circle), then they extract, and the mission ends. Not a lot of room for abuse there

I would think the solution is to simply make new enemies that spawn only choose aggro from Tenno who aren't sitting in Extract

The only solution within one's own control in this situation other than "bring a frame that won't die" that I can think of that does not rely on the team is having a ranged weapon with powerful CC capabilities, like a Sonicor or a high status Blast rigged explosive weapon (ex. Pox, Kulstar, Tonkor, etc.)

I hope this helps in the mean time. I too hope DE adjusts enemy AI and spawn patterns to accommodate for this.

I swear that sometimes abilities reset the timer too.

This also becomes an annoyance if you bring weak primary/secondary to level and your only strong weapon is a melee weapon. Which I've done in Kuva survival quite a bit. Once you draw aggro, you've got very limited options unless you want to reset the extraction timer.

2 hours ago, Gwyndolin-chan said:

The only solution within one's own control in this situation other than "bring a frame that won't die" that I can think of that does not rely on the team is having a ranged weapon with powerful CC capabilities, like a Sonicor or a high status Blast rigged explosive weapon (ex. Pox, Kulstar, Tonkor, etc.)

I hope this helps in the mean time. I too hope DE adjusts enemy AI and spawn patterns to accommodate for this.

or they could just pop out into their operator and then go invisible.... it may not last the whole duration but it should help.

12 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

or they could just pop out into their operator and then go invisible.... it may not last the whole duration but it should help.

^ this

And drop some energy pizzas to further increase the duration of void mode. But nevertheless I think the extraction timer should be decreased to 30 or even 15 seconds.

Edited by (PS4)BigLick

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not shorten the Extract timer to 15-30 seconds, or replace it with a confirmation prompt? "Youre in the Extract location. Ready to Leave? Yes/No"

What actual purpose does the 60 second timer serve?

Also, why does it require 2 people to trigger the extraction for one person on a 4 person team?

Example: Syndicate missions or Sabotage missions. Some people want to search for emblems / caches, others just want to complete the mission and move on. But for the person who DOESNT want to search they need a someone else on the squad to come and trigger the timer. Why isnt extraction purely individual? 1 Person on the pad, 1 person leaves. If the objective was completed they get what they earned and everyone else carries on doing whatever theyre doing.

5 hours ago, LSG501 said:

5 hours ago, (PS4)BigLick said:

^ this

And drop some energy pizzas to further increase the duration of void mode. But nevertheless I think the extraction timer should be decreased to 30 or even 15 seconds.

I tried that. Four nullifiers sat on me and it didn't work