Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Resolution problems

SargionMagara

Question

Either i'm so bad with searching for threads or there's no other player experiencing this problem i'm having now...

So after the Old Blood update hits, everytime i enter Warframe, it starts with a lower, blurry resolution (I dont know the exact numbers) with a big chat interface, and i can just go to option and reselect my native resolution (1920x1080) and hit confirm, and everything turns into normal.

To this point its completely annoying that i have to go to option and reselect things everytime i play. Anyone experiencing this? Is this a bug, or a problem with my system? Answers appreciated!

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, SargionMagara said:

Either i'm so bad with searching for threads or there's no other player experiencing this problem i'm having now...

So after the Old Blood update hits, everytime i enter Warframe, it starts with a lower, blurry resolution (I dont know the exact numbers) with a big chat interface, and i can just go to option and reselect my native resolution (1920x1080) and hit confirm, and everything turns into normal.

To this point its completely annoying that i have to go to option and reselect things everytime i play. Anyone experiencing this? Is this a bug, or a problem with my system? Answers appreciated!

Is your Dynamic Resoluting active?

If it isn't, what is your GPU?

3 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

Is your Dynamic Resoluting active?

If it isn't, what is your GPU?

My GPU is Nvidia GTX960M, and yes, i have Dynamic Resolution active, but before Old Blood i have never ever experienced this at all, and at the very least when i am in my orbiter i can make sure i can have all settings on High and still have 60fps...

The Dynamic Resolution makes sense only for those computers that don't have enough GPU performance to run the game at full resolution rendering (lowering the resolution setting (different from resolution rendering) doesn't affect performance unless you have an extremely low amount of rendering pipelines). Turning it off will make sure that you'll render everything as its supposed to. You can also turn off Depth of Field and Motion Blur while you're at it (unless you feel the need to have them on).

If the problem persists after disabling those 3 graphical options, then you should "update" your drivers (99% of the times, you actually have to downgrade drivers to regain functionalities, such is the way of nVidia) and see if there's anything different.

2 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

The Dynamic Resolution makes sense only for those computers that don't have enough GPU performance to run the game at full resolution rendering (lowering the resolution setting (different from resolution rendering) doesn't affect performance unless you have an extremely low amount of rendering pipelines). Turning it off will make sure that you'll render everything as its supposed to. You can also turn off Depth of Field and Motion Blur while you're at it (unless you feel the need to have them on).

If the problem persists after disabling those 3 graphical options, then you should "update" your drivers (99% of the times, you actually have to downgrade drivers to regain functionalities, such is the way of nVidia) and see if there's anything different.

I'm pretty sure this his is a problem with the update and not a hardware or drivers problem. And changing Dynamic Resolution do nothing, i don't have Dynamic Resolution ON and we have the same problem.

1 minute ago, Uhkretor said:

i have my drivers pretty up to date, not the latest though.

As for dynamic resolution, i can play just fine when i am alone, but when im in, lets say a 4 man squad, the graphic lag makes the game simply unplayable, rendering me useless in the squad hence why i turn Dynamic Resolution on. And this'll become a repeat, but i always had it on, and never the game starts in a blurry resolution, not even once...

I have motion blur off, and Depth of Field on and yeah, i'll try messing with them and restarting Warframe.

Just now, SargionMagara said:

As for dynamic resolution, i can play just fine when i am alone, but when im in, lets say a 4 man squad, the graphic lag makes the game simply unplayable, rendering me useless in the squad hence why i turn Dynamic Resolution on.

The dynamic resolution lowers detail dynamically to keep your FPS high, when your GPU performance is insufficient. You can think of it as a band-aid for those guys that think they have gaming rigs, and then they have the real harsh truth slapped on their faces.

But I can assure you that when you're playing with others, the problem isn't your GPU. The problem is the performance of your CPU cores, which are used to not only run your game but to also synchronize everyone else with you as much as possible... In which their performance depends on how disabled is your CPU thermal throttling (AMD CPUs have no such function, hence why I have no problems with it) and how unintrusive Win10 is on its performance (in which you're pretty much ruined there, since Win10 is the most intrusive OS ever made, in more ways than one)... and in case it iisn't Win10 that you're using, is boils down at how downgraded your OS actually is (the less updated and further away from Win10 it is, the better).

12 minutes ago, JohnJambon said:

I'm pretty sure this his is a problem with the update and not a hardware or drivers problem. And changing Dynamic Resolution do nothing, i don't have Dynamic Resolution ON and we have the same problem.

Just like every human body is different, so is a PC rig. We see it as being exactly the same, because it looks exactly the same... but deep down it really isn't. Those tiny differences are enough to separate your case from the OP's case...

Practical example: I stopped having problems whatsoever after changing from a Win OS to Linux, and I gained almost 500 FPS after changing, on top of the 1200 I had... And no, to make sure that my current PC fits my needs until it becomes utterly obsolete by not having the performance I need (want to have is different than need), I capped the FPS at 60. Its... more than enough.

4 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

The dynamic resolution lowers detail dynamically to keep your FPS high, when your GPU performance is insufficient. You can think of it as a band-aid for those guys that think they have gaming rigs, and then they have the real harsh truth slapped on their faces.

But I can assure you that when you're playing with others, the problem isn't your GPU. The problem is the performance of your CPU cores, which are used to not only run your game but to also synchronize everyone else with you as much as possible... In which their performance depends on how disabled is your CPU thermal throttling (AMD CPUs have no such function, hence why I have no problems with it) and how unintrusive Win10 is on its performance (in which you're pretty much ruined there, since Win10 is the most intrusive OS ever made, in more ways than one)... and in case it iisn't Win10 that you're using, is boils down at how downgraded your OS actually is (the less updated and further away from Win10 it is, the better).

Welp, i have my Win10 updated...i always had the auto-update off but one day it became on by itself and i was too lazy to turn it off again and here i am, slowing down my PC per update...

and about my CPU, is there any fix, or some band-aid fixes maybe?

If its an Intel, you're screwed. Their security updates, which are stuff that should've been implemented since the year 1990, is breaking it down to its real performance. Unfortunately, since you're not running a Linux distro, you're forced to have those installed. (yep, you can blame your Win10 for allowing external access to your hardware, which is something Linux doesn't allow by design)

8 minutes ago, SargionMagara said:

Welp, i have my Win10 updated...i always had the auto-update off but one day it became on by itself and i was too lazy to turn it off again and here i am, slowing down my PC per update...

Oh, don't worry. Microsoft used a backdoor to activate it again and update your OS... Which is an exclusive feature of Win10, go figure.

Anyway, you might want to try out other nVidia driver versions to see if anything changes on Warframe.

Edit: Thanks for the "haha", whoever gave it to me, because what I said it actually true. That's pretty much the reason why my Win7 installation only has 10% of its services active.

Edited by Uhkretor

+1, also having this issue. It is not related to dynamic resolution, or a driver update. This is *specific* to the Old Blood update. I am using the exact same drivers, GPU, OS build, etc as I was on previous updates.

Somehow, the internal resolution of the game is not matching what it is set to, upon start-up. A quick dirty "solution" is to quickly toggle back and forth from any resolution to your desired one in settings, and click apply. This resolves the issue for the duration of the application's session, but it will arise again whenever it's restarted.

I'd recommend people upvote this question so it gets resolved, or forward it if at possible so it gets addressed.

I have this as well since the last update, very annoying...
I 'fix' it by switching between refresh rates, happens consistently on every startup.

I play in 1080P on a 4K TV, with an AV receiver between my PC (970GTX) and the TV. Never had issues before the old blood..

Bump. I dont know if its appropriate to bump a single post multiple times, but i really think this needs to be addressed ASAP...sure, it's a simple bug that you can fix within few easy steps, but it gets annoying real fast since you have to do it every time you launch the game.

There is another option in addition to the dynamic resolution mentioned by Glen a while ago. I have noticed that my loading screen, which used to have the correct aspect ratio before Old Blood, is now horizontally stretched though (I'm 3440x1440 ultra-wide) and this may be related.

On 2019-05-23 at 6:53 PM, [DE]Glen said:

In your Display Settings there is a new “Window Scaling Mode” option; if you have Windows App Scaling at 100% it won’t make any difference but if you have a high-DPI scale set you can choose between having it scale up the window (speed!) or render at native resolution (quality!). If you were running at 4K before and are confused by everything getting big just set it to Native and hopefully it’ll be just like it was before.

Bump, and an update regarding the problem!

So since yesterday (i think?), without manually going to settings and reselecting the resolution, i can just Alt+Tab out and Alt+Tab back to Warframe, and the resolution is automatically okay. Definitely not a fix though, since Warframe still starts on a wrong resolution.

On 2019-11-20 at 7:08 AM, SargionMagara said:

Bump, and an update regarding the problem!

So since yesterday (i think?), without manually going to settings and reselecting the resolution, i can just Alt+Tab out and Alt+Tab back to Warframe, and the resolution is automatically okay. Definitely not a fix though, since Warframe still starts on a wrong resolution.

bump, and this is exactly what im doing right now, still not a fix

dynamic reso off btw