Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I fight a Lich?

-Krism-

Mine just spawn while I was killing its Thralls, no transmission or anything, it just popped on me, charged in my direction, broke my back & despawned

Was I supposed to do something or did he just one-shot me without warning? I know Liches are supposed to be at least a little hard to fight but damn, if it's gonna be like that each time it spawns I won't even bother creating new ones :/

Just now, pauli133 said:

If you try to stab him with the wrong mods on, he counters you and you die. Then he mocks you as he levels up.

No, you don't understand, he spawned, charged me, one-shot, then despawned, I couldn't even attack

A: you have the right mod 'code' and defeat it.

B: you just run away and don't try and stabby stab if you don't know the code.

C; Try and guess the code with part of it for a quick kill and roll the dice

D; You have no idea whats going on, keep getting yourself killed to lvl the lich and get allll your stuff slowly stolen and post on the forums.

Edited by Firetempest

Just now, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

I was max gauge with Gauss & Kinetic Plating active

then it mightve been a bug yeh. unless, does kinetic plating shield against melee? also, what abilities does the lich have? it might have an ability that bypasses kinetic shielding

1 minute ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

then it mightve been a bug yeh. unless, does kinetic plating shield against melee? also, what abilities does the lich have? it might have an ability that bypasses kinetic shielding

One of it's ability is the charge that I was talking about:

STAMPEDE:

Charges forward, knocking down anything in the way

But that's when he reach me that he did the back breaker animation, that's why I'm so confused 

Liches have the ability to grapple you if you are within inches of them. At level 5 this almost always 1 shots my 1050 hp, 877 armor warframe. Only reason i dont doe is because it only kills you if you hit 1 hp by the time they throw you. So my cat saves me with hunter recovery.

To avoid this keep your distance as much as possible. Spam roll if they get close to you because its the quickest and easiest burst of speed youll get. Honestly you should have at least SOME time to react, for me the HP bar flashes on screen before they do anything so if i see that my first instinct is to jump as high up as i can to see where they are first. Its hard to miss 3 bright yellow and blue bars period so I havent ofund myself caught off guard yet.

Sometimes its glitchy and they grab you from meters away when you roll so take caution. Keeping distance means you can much more easily see the charge wind up too and avoid it accordingly. 

Edited by Annnoth

15 minutes ago, Annnoth said:

Liches have the ability to grapple you if you are within inches of them. At level 5 this almost always 1 shots my 1050 hp, 877 armor warframe. Only reason i dont doe is because it only kills you if you hit 1 hp by the time they throw you. So my cat saves me with hunter recovery.

To avoid this keep your distance as much as possible. Spam roll if they get close to you because its the quickest and easiest burst of speed youll get. Honestly you should have at least SOME time to react, for me the HP bar flashes on screen before they do anything so if i see that my first instinct is to jump as high up as i can to see where they are first. Its hard to miss 3 bright yellow and blue bars period so I havent ofund myself caught off guard yet.

Sometimes its glitchy and they grab you from meters away when you roll so take caution. Keeping distance means you can much more easily see the charge wind up too and avoid it accordingly. 

So, in other words, DE brought us an update introducing Liches & Melee: phase 2, but melee will get you killed if you get too close, f*cking genius

I'm a melee player, telling me I can't play how I want is just dumb

EDIT: On top of having an ability to charge me

Edited by Xenox_Ilz-ot

HOLY ~, one, in a handful of enemies you shouldn't get near at all.

Hamstringing every enemy and mode to be completed in one specific style in a whole game wanting to encourage adapting and changing is bad. Could they make some Lichs vulnerable to melee, sure. maybe and likely future grineer, or corpus or infested immortals can be hit with a stick as a necessity.

17 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

So, in other words, DE brought us an update introducing Liches & Melee: phase 2, but melee will get you killed if you get too close, f*cking genius

It's definitely tough, but I don't think it's thaaaat bad. Now keep in mind i rarely play melee so I have little reference for how big of a difference melee 3.0 had on overall damage so I'm assuming melee is still generally a step up from guns. 

You can stay out of their range with primed reach and a longer weapon because that grab radius is like 1-2 meters at most. Staying at 5 is nothing. In fact, if they do charge you at that range they run so far you can escape them before they walk up to you. Assuming they even do instead of strafe around randomly some more. I had a lich with both charge and switch teleport and the only times I had to worry was when I was at distance and didn't dodge or if i was close and it used switch teleport. 

Also remember, they added dodge cancelling during practically anything melee. It doesn't matter what you have, if you see his upper body raise for any reason he's either gonna charge or suplex you. It's got a decent cooldown on it too and he's vulnerable if he misses so you can punish him hard. Though yeah, I know it can be hard to see at time with the magnificent visual cacophony on display but I'm almost certain once you get use to it and practice you can melee fight him relatively fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annnoth said:

You can stay out of their range with primed reach and a longer weapon because that grab radius is like 1-2 meters at most

Yeah, you didn't really try to play with melee with phase 2

1 hour ago, Annnoth said:

In fact, if they do charge you at that range they run so far you can escape them before they walk up to you

Imagine Rhino's charge but it's instant, I didn't had time to react, & if there's a visual clue then I didn't see it

On top of that, one other ability is a grapple hook like Valkyr, so he can pull me towards him either way

No matter, having an enemy that can one-shot you isn't fun in any way, I know Steve said that we're gonna hate our Liches, but there's a difference between being actually challenging & infuriating

Sounds like you just had bad luck. I've fought liches several times, once even mine. They never oneshot me or even killed me (except when I purposely failed my lich to make him go away). And it does give a warning when they spawn... Lights flicker and you get a huge health bar on the screen. 

17 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Yeah, you didn't really try to play with melee with phase 2

Imagine Rhino's charge but it's instant, I didn't had time to react, & if there's a visual clue then I didn't see it

On top of that, one other ability is a grapple hook like Valkyr, so he can pull me towards him either way

No matter, having an enemy that can one-shot you isn't fun in any way, I know Steve said that we're gonna hate our Liches, but there's a difference between being actually challenging & infuriating

I'm aware about the charge since 2 of my liches have had it and no, it's actually not instant. It's fairly quick windup but once you know it's there and keep and eye out you can see an obvious wind up when they are about to do it. But yes, if you actually don't see it coming when he spawns that undoubtedly sucks. Hasn't happened in my experience but I can imagine its possible.

Edited by Annnoth

2 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Mine just spawn while I was killing its Thralls, no transmission or anything, it just popped on me, charged in my direction, broke my back & despawned

Was I supposed to do something or did he just one-shot me without warning? I know Liches are supposed to be at least a little hard to fight but damn, if it's gonna be like that each time it spawns I won't even bother creating new ones 😕

Lots of RnG gets you 3 puzzle pieces that create a key in a certain order that unlocks the ability to kill it.

You get to have your back broken multiple times trying to figure out the order of the Requiem Mods (puzzle pieces).

It’s insulting game design.  There is nothing heroic, skill-oriented, or game-relevant about it.

DE needs a process in place to discover the Requiem pattern because I’ve not even played it and it has already hijacked my anticipation and immersion.

9 hours ago, Annnoth said:

I'm aware about the charge since 2 of my liches have had it and no, it's actually not instant. It's fairly quick windup but once you know it's there and keep and eye out you can see an obvious wind up when they are about to do it. But yes, if you actually don't see it coming when he spawns that undoubtedly sucks. Hasn't happened in my experience but I can imagine its possible.

Nice, thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on that :p

12 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

I got blindsided by a charging Lich as well. It does certainly suck. The first time mine spawned, didn't even realize it was there til I was being grabbed and died. Second time one of it's thralls knocked me down with the charge, then got grabbed by the lich and died.

One key here is the Lich's execute is it's own move, with a cooldown, where they do a somewhat telegraphed grabbing animation. So you can run in, then back off, which will bait it out and give you free reign to melee the heck out of it for a little bit. Depending on it's other abilities. The basically insta-kill grab can definitely be frustrating at times, but long as you don't get totally blindsided you can play around it, even in melee.

Edited by TinFoilMkIV

45 minutes ago, TinFoilMkIV said:

I got blindsided by a charging Lich as well. It does certainly suck. The first time mine spawned, didn't even realize it was there til I was being grabbed and died. Second time one of it's thralls knocked me down with the charge, then got grabbed by the lich and died.

The basically insta-kill grab can definitely be frustrating at times, but long as you don't get totally blindsided you can play around it, even in melee.

13 hours ago, Annnoth said:

Only reason i dont doe is because it only kills you if you hit 1 hp by the time they throw you

It just spawned for the 3rd time, but I didn't had the right combination tho

I was with Nidus at 56 stacks, when I failed, he grabbed me, I had 500 health left when he threw me & got insta killed

That mechanic needs to go, trial & error where you had to die each time isn't fun

Oh yea. As far as the die for not having the right combo when you try to execute. It does feel bad. On one hand. Death isn't actually that big of a deal. On the other, it definitely feels unfair.

EDIT: For the grab, I was referring to the one they try to do just while fighting them. Not the parazon sequence stuff.

Edited by TinFoilMkIV