Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Orthos At Higher Levels

Aurelio23

Question

8 answers to this question

I finally got around to building this thing and I'm absolutely loving it.  Please tell me that it'll stay effective even on higher level missions.

Don't let all the old codgers on the forums convince you that the Orthos or melee "isn't effective" or that you have to get the Orthos Prime to be able to do anything.

There is no reason why you couldn't play level 100 missions with the Orthos even though the Orthos Prime and Galatine are "better."

Edited by Archistopheles

Orthos Prime is the way to go.

Plus, you'll feel badass because very few have one. I've never actually seen anyone else in game with one besides the dudes I got mine with.

I've seen more than a few with it to be honest. Nowadays I see more people using the Prime version than the regular one, especially if you recruit people to T3 missions.

In any case, yes it will still be viable. "Higher levels" is a bit vague though, so that depends on what you mean. Even against the likes of lvl 70-90 enemies, it can still be good due to its speed and range (Orthos Prime surpasses it of course, but is in no way needed). You won't one shot enemies, but if you're good at power sliding while charging it, you'll make great use of the weapon even more.

As a last note, don't forget that you have three weapons with you; you don't need to go full melee all the time. For the most part, a charge attack can stun certain foes (Ancients are easily stun by it), and if you have ice on it, it will leave enough time to just gun them down afterward (if your guns are stronger than your melee, which usually is the case).

Edited by Casardis

If you're wanting to take one of those two heavy melee weapon into high lvl combat consider:

The only downside to Orthos and Orthos Prime into lvl 100+ enemies -- lacking the ability to knockdown enemies.

It does make up for it a little bit due to the fast swing speed (can be used as a weaker version of the Zorencopter).

Another bonus is the really quick charge speed considering it's a "heavy" melee weapon.

The Galatine deals twice the damage w/ a slightly longer charge time, but it also has a wide 6 meter AOE knock down.

I have not tried out the Fragor or Gram.

Other viable options for high end melee:

Dual Ichor -- Armor Ignore, poison damage w/ fast swing speed and high crits, excellent for E-smashing melee and Zorencopter-ing.

Fang Prime -- In your face armor piercing damage w/ high fire rate, another excellent E-smashing or charge w/ weak Zorencopter.

Dual Zoren -- Fastest swing speed for furthest Zorencopter ability (great escape tool or speed running tool) w/ high crits but blade damage (only really good vs infested and some corpus).