Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Damage Drop Off

imTofuCubed

So this is an idea that came to me yesterday while I started to try out the synapse(or however it is spelled). So as many of you already know the synapse is very much like the flux rifle. And that brings out the issue of range. I personally think that the range of the Flux rifle is wayyy to short. Let me get to the point. I would like some kind of change in this. Maybe a range extending mod? My other idea is to have damage drop offs. So by distance the damage will be reduced. Say at 1-30ft the damage is at max, then the drop off begins. Every 2 feet after the 30 will start to experience reduced damage and DPS. If you are familiar with the battlefield games (BFBC2, BF3, BF4) you can kinda get what im saying. Im sure someone can explain it better than I can. But I would like to see a bit more range for the laser beam type rifles. And sacrificing damage seems to be a fair trade for range.

he is talking about mechanics that in use in battlefield games.

for example m16 have 25 base damage, and it have this damage up to 8 metres to target. After 8 metres mark damage start to fall off and at 50 metres mark m16 deals minimum damage of 18. Also after 50+ metres m16 will continue to deal 18 damage per bullet.

OP's idea is use such mechanics in this game for beam based weapons such as flux or synapse.

for example m16 have 25 base damage, and it have this damage up to 8 metres to target. After 8 metres mark damage start to fall off and at 50 metres mark m16 deals minimum damage of 18. Also after 50+ metres m16 will continue to deal 18 damage per bullet.

OP's idea is use such mechanics in this game for beam based weapons such as flux or synapse.

Oh so the unlimited ammo thing is a reference that you made to the ammo box in Battlefield games? I see.

By the way, damage drop off mechanics is already in Warframe. Look at shotguns besides Broncos. I don't see why it can't be applied to laser-type weapons, except that it MIGHT be too powerful because of its pinpoint accuracy and the possibility of a super light saber with puncture mods.

Of course, if we add the damage drop off to the laser like OP suggest, this may change.

Edited by Casardis

The mechanic would not be exact to Battlefield. I think you are kinda relating it to much to that game and the fact is that this game is totally different from that and I would like to keep them separate. My idea can relate to the concept of damage loss over distance. But I would think that it would be more like this. Flux rifle base damage of whatever(+crit bonus) but there will be 20 meters of base damage and after that it will go down. There will be no drop off stop until u are doing 0 damage. 

Edited by TheTofuBlaow

It would probably make sense considering lasers don't just abruptly stop as the Flux Rifle does, though the damage fall off would have to be very significant since, unlike shotguns, were talking about a continuous high damage beam with pinpoint accuracy.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

This is the first time I have seen someone who actually uses the weapon complain about range. It's usually just people who see it on paper and think it will be a problem.

I am assuming you use the weapon, at least. You didn't actually say that in your post.

This is the first time I have seen someone who actually uses the weapon complain about range. It's usually just people who see it on paper and think it will be a problem.

I am assuming you use the weapon, at least. You didn't actually say that in your post.

Yes I do use the weapon. Flux rifle and synapse are great weapons and I do enjoy them, the only thing I dont like is the range. I have not actually seen the range statistics though, im more of a hands on person than a stats guy

dont make a bloody weapon range extending mod we dont need more bandage we just need a bloody change from X current meters to X amount

This is the main problem I'm seeing. Yet another mod to add and an annoying drop.

I'd rather not have this at all due to the above possibility. Sometimes I think we need an extra 1-2 slots added to our frames/weapons to compensate lol. 

A weapon that is capable of dealing 8k damage in one second - that is only ten ammo - with stagger every hit, pinpoint accuracy and armor ignoring damage, absolutely needs that 25m handicap.

the stagger works more against you than for you as they are likely to flail about making it harder to get headshots

the stagger works more against you than for you as they are likely to flail about making it harder to get headshots

Put on an ice mod and suddenly they're barely moving. You can sustain fire all you want and they can't shoot since they're being staggered. Also, learning how to control the beam isn't that hard.

Using a mod slot to increase the range on beam weapons seems like a reasonable trade-off. I am not sold on damage falloff, however.

Reasonable? Sure. Pointless? That too. That slot could be used to improve the damage even further. 24m/25m is plenty of range. It's meant to be close-range anyway. If you wanted something dangerous and accurate, you should use the Ogris, Lanka or Dera. Latron Prime and Lanka are basically made for headshots, and the Dera is pretty good at that too with literally no recoil.

This is the main problem I'm seeing. Yet another mod to add and an annoying drop.

I'd rather not have this at all due to the above possibility. Sometimes I think we need an extra 1-2 slots added to our frames/weapons to compensate lol. 

we need  at least 2 more slot for everything at this point

their is way to many damn mods for us to be and choose which one we want

Reasonable? Sure. Pointless? That too. That slot could be used to improve the damage even further. 24m/25m is plenty of range. It's meant to be close-range anyway. If you wanted something dangerous and accurate, you should use the Ogris, Lanka or Dera. Latron Prime and Lanka are basically made for headshots, and the Dera is pretty good at that too with literally no recoil.

Well, some people obviously value range over damage. This mod would allow you to treat the flux rifle as a hitscan weapon at the opportunity cost of a mod slot that could be used for damage.

Its apparent that you would not use this mod, but some people would and things like this allow for some differentiation in builds.

Well, some people obviously value range over damage. This mod would allow you to treat the flux rifle as a hitscan weapon at the opportunity cost of a mod slot that could be used for damage.

Its apparent that you would not use this mod, but some people would and things like this allow for some differentiation in builds.

Say that it maxes at 120%. 55 meters? What would you ever need 55 meters of range for? Almost every tileset is closely packed. You never really need more than 20 meters, TBH. Getting closer to the enemy for tons of damage is also not an issue. You can get around quickly and easily, and 20 meters isn't in-your-face melee that is extremely risky.

Also, considering the reticule-accuracy and the 100% stagger, that'd be absolutely horrible for headshots. It's already annoying to manage the target staggering and moving out of your reticule, now imagine if from many meters away, the enemy's head is only 20 pixels on your screen. Headshots would be very, very difficult, kinda defeating the point of using mod slots/energy to use a weapon at range.

Say that it maxes at 120%. 55 meters? What would you ever need 55 meters of range for? Almost every tileset is closely packed. You never really need more than 20 meters, TBH. Getting closer to the enemy for tons of damage is also not an issue. You can get around quickly and easily, and 20 meters isn't in-your-face melee that is extremely risky.

Also, considering the reticule-accuracy and the 100% stagger, that'd be absolutely horrible for headshots. It's already annoying to manage the target staggering and moving out of your reticule, now imagine if from many meters away, the enemy's head is only 20 pixels on your screen. Headshots would be very, very difficult, kinda defeating the point of using mod slots/energy to use a weapon at range.

Well, some open air levels are pretty large, so I could see taking the mod to Phobos and Corpus Planet levels. But you missed my first point entirely. You have no use for this mod since you want max damage and the range is limited. That is absolutely fine. However, some people (like OP) would be completely willing to sac one mod slot to extend this range and allow the Flux to be more general purpose and their sidearm to be a heavy hitter (like Embolist).

Because its a mod, you can take it or leave it. We already see DE doing this with Glaive specfic mods like +bounce and -bounce and whirlwind. This allows choices when building the Glaive and in my opinion helped the weapon out a LOT.

Well, some open air levels are pretty large, so I could see taking the mod to Phobos and Corpus Planet levels. But you missed my first point entirely. You have no use for this mod since you want max damage and the range is limited. That is absolutely fine. However, some people (like OP) would be completely willing to sac one mod slot to extend this range and allow the Flux to be more general purpose and their sidearm to be a heavy hitter (like Embolist).

Because its a mod, you can take it or leave it. We already see DE doing this with Glaive specfic mods like +bounce and -bounce and whirlwind. This allows choices when building the Glaive and in my opinion helped the weapon out a LOT.

Someone that gets me, thanks. I think u cleared it up better than i could